Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor King can't go for a walk in winter

King
December 22nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
I can't take King for a walk he wants to go soooo bad. It is so cold out there that when I tried to take him within four steps he's already raising his paw up and limping. I can't find little booties for him because he is so small his paws are about the size of two pinkies put together. I have puppy pads all over the place especially around the couch since now he raises his legs to go to the bathroom. He whines when I take him in.

bendyfoot
December 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
I'd be working really hard to keep him pottying outside...when the warmer weather returns, you don't want him thinking it's still ok to pee indoors, do you? You're also going to be making the leg-lifting issue worse. Sounds to me like this is a dog who should ABSOLUTELY be going potty outside 100% of the time.

Some suggestions: get a very good-quality warm/dry coat and booties. There ARE booties for toy breeds http://www.muttluks.com/sizing_chart/index.php or http://www.bloomingtailsdogboutique.com/item_501/Epiks-Shoes-for-Dogs.htm for example, make them for tiny breeds.

If you've got snow, get out the shovel and clear a nice path to an equally-well-cleared potty area on the lawn.

Encouraging the indoor pottying is going to be a HUGE pain in your butt down the road.

totallyhip
December 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
We still take ours out for walks unless its really icy outside. We have had an unusual amount of snow the last couple of days. Luke will not go in the backyard. Leia & Han will. But its been really cold out too so were training Luke to use the backyard now. Other than them going a bit stir crazy from lack of exercise they are still getting potty breaks:)

Do you have a yard you can put him in?

King
December 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
In spring summer and fall and winter King and I would be outside morning afternoon and night we would be out there more then a half an hour at a time. We live in a apartment only a balcony I do not to have him go out there. I was talking to someone and she said maybe its the salt the company puts on the driveway and suggested we use vasaline I am going to try that.

Etown_Chick
December 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
King
please don't use Vaseline on his paws. You'll see why when you try to remove it. They make a lovely wax for dog paws to keep them protected from salt and such.
I can relate tho, much too cold for Scruff, even in his winter togs. We're both going stir crazy and it's almost -30 again tonight..brrr