Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Open "wound" and grooming

ashtoreth
December 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Alright, I have a small problem.

As everyone in my area noticed, theres snow outside,lots of it. Now, under the snow at my dog park, theres ice. Following me? alright moving on

We brought titus at the Dog Park to see puppy friends and him enjoying the snow (which he loves oh so much) he played around with us and the puppies and after a couple of "OMG LOOK AT ME MOM I CAN RUN!!" and runing around in circle with other dogs, I noticed there was some blood on the snow when I called him back to leave after an hour. It was so little, I wasnt even sure it was blood.

No biggy, it happens, its probally just a small ice cut, we'll go back home and i'll check it out. But Nooo its an open wound on his paw, well not really a wound, just a patch of skin missing. He's really not bothered by it, at all, he runs around, plays and eats as usual. There was maybe one or two mini drops of blood, basically its like a scrape. I checked him, washed the already clean scrape (its snow and ice, no debries there) and put an antibiotic cream to help the healing.

Now, however, there is a debate going on in our family!

Titus has a groomer apointment tomorow (be all pretty for christmas ye know?) It's at nice place , took me a while to find, but I went there a few time to get food and my friend used their services a lot, their good and love their work. However, is it reall good for him to go? it's really a scrape, but there is a chunk of fur missing (its around 3/4 of an inch long and maybe 1/4 of an inch large, reaaaaly not deep though.

sooo, to go, or not to go? ;)

luckypenny
December 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Just let the groomer know it's there and ask that he/she doesn't put anything perfumy on it :shrug:?

ashtoreth
December 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM
eeew ...perfume
bwahah my dog will smell like a tranny ^^

Gail P
December 21st, 2008, 11:44 PM
I can't see any reason to cancel the appointment. Just point it out to the groomer so they're careful around that area and they know that you're already aware of it. It should heal pretty quickly. Back around the time when the ground first starts to freeze up and we only have a bit of snow mine are hard on their feet. They run so hard playing that they will sometimes get an occasional abrasion or split a toenail. Also Flurry got some cuts when he ran over some little shrub stumps where I was doing some trail work clearing out the weeds. I started feeding zinc with their dinner, many mushers swear by it to promote tough healthy pads and nails. It takes a little while of feeding to make a difference (ie. starting to feed it now won't help with your current problem) but I've started to notice stronger thicker nails on some of my dogs already. Zinc is available in powdered form from some mushing suppliers (it's called Zin Pro, and may be also available under other names) or you can use zinc tablets if you're so inclined. There are a couple of different forms of tablets (zinc gluconate, chelated zinc etc.) and different strengths, what was recommended to me was one 50mg zinc gluconate tablet daily per dog. I just toss them on top of the kibble and they eat them right up.

mummummum
December 22nd, 2008, 12:53 AM
The perfume is the least of your worries. The detangler solution and the detergent in the shampoo would be of more concern.

Ask the groomer to put a whack of petroleum jelly on the paw (and a small elasto-plast bandaid if one will fit the area) before bathing.