Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing my cat to raw meat

Masha
December 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Our dog is currently eating raw 2 days out of the week and I would like to introduce raw meat to our cat as well, but when i gave him a raw turkey meat pieace he sniffed it and gave me a 'why would you put THAT in my bowl??!!'

How did you get your cats to accept raw meat as a food source?

Thanks!

Frenchy
December 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
Masha , my Monsieur le chat loved it right from the start. Took about a week for Paddington. I was still feeding them kibble in the morning so he didn't starve :p

But they are picky , I have to cut the chicken hearts for them or they won't touch it. :shrug:

sugarcatmom
December 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
How did you get your cats to accept raw meat as a food source?

Does your cat like cooked meat at all? You could try cooking (boiling or broiling work well) a piece of chicken breast and offering that. If your cat will eat it, then gradually cook it less and less until he's eating it raw.

If your kitty doesn't even recognize cooked meat as edible, it could take a little longer. You can try putting tiny slivers of meat in with whatever he eats now (is it kibble or canned? I forget.). Or mix some into a really special treat like plain meat baby food or canned salmon. It may be that he needs to get used to the smell and texture of raw meat, which is so very different from any commercial food. Many cats are suspicious of new things, so repeat exposure to make it more familiar can help. Here are tips for transitioning a kibble addict to canned food that can also be used to introduce raw: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_

Masha
December 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM
He currently eats canned and unfortunately doesn't care for cooked meat either ( i find it very sad how a carnivor doesn't recognize meat as food... :shrug:) However, he loves the Before Grain tuna as a treat, is it ok to mix it with chunks of raw turkey/chicken? I read for dogs that you have to feed raw and prepared food seperately because they process them at a different rate.

sugarcatmom
December 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
He currently eats canned and unfortunately doesn't care for cooked meat either ( i find it very sad how a carnivor doesn't recognize meat as food... :shrug:)

Ya, cats can be weird like that. :rolleyes:

However, he loves the Before Grain tuna as a treat, is it ok to mix it with chunks of raw turkey/chicken? I read for dogs that you have to feed raw and prepared food seperately because they process them at a different rate.

That would be perfectly fine. Maybe start with just a teensy weensy sliver and work your way up. As long as the tuna/raw combo isn't more than about 10-15% of your cat's diet since it isn't balanced for calcium, but as a transition aid, no problem. Don't worry about keeping raw and cooked separate, it really isn't applicable here.

Khari
December 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Is it ok to mix it with chunks of raw turkey/chicken? I read for dogs that you have to feed raw and prepared food seperately because they process them at a different rate.

You are on a great start because your cat is on canned food instead of kibble. It may take a long time for your cat to switch completely over to raw. Patience is the key on the switch. My patience has played a huge role many times with the switch to raw for my two cats. There were some great suggestions above on how to switch you cat over. I slowly transitioned them over. I started by adding ground chicken to their canned very slowly. In the beginning it was majority canned for quite some time. Slowly increasing the amount of ground. The one cat switched over more quickly than the other one but it has been four months and she is now pretty much on 100% raw. Although sometimes she is picky on the kind of meat I feed her and I do have to entice her with a bit of canned smeared on top of her chunkss or in the ground mixture. My one cat gets two meals of chunked meat/bone a day and one meal of ground...the other cat has one meal of chunked a day and the other two meals she has ground meat.

Try not to get discouraged when your cat does not wolf down the meat right away. To this day my cats do not eat all the meat at one sitting. They eat a bit and walk away. So, I put their food on the counter and offer it to them again in about a half an hour to an hour max later. And then they gobble it down. I think they like it at room temperature :cat: You will learn what meats your cat likes and doesn't like. My one cat loves liver, heart, kidney, etc. My other cat could take it or leave it. I am feeding them chicken parts right now. My one cat had chronic diarrhea so I didn't want to try too many meats at first. After a month on raw his problem completly cleared up. I feed them fish every once in a while....I haven't for about a month now. I have to buy a bit for a treat...I also find that they don't always want to eat in the kitchen so I will place it down wherever they will eat there food (They have gotten little attitudes on raw food :laughing:) One thing I learned is CATS ARE PICKY..

Do not starve your cat. They can get very sick from not eating for as little as 24 hours.

Love4himies
December 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
I started Jasper by putting a tinsy piece of raw on his favourite treat and gradually had his treat as a sprinkle on top of the raw.

Sweet Pea, she is not so picky and I just had to sprinkle kibble on top of raw and she ate it.

Puddles (also known as Princess Puddles) is a licker and will eat some raw if it is to her specifications and cut up so the pieces are long and thin or hand fed so she is able to lick it easily off the hand. She only likes it if it is at least at room temperature. I had to transition her to quality canned, then to cooked meat, then to raw. A year ago she wouldn't touch even cooked meat.

All three cats had to be quite hungry for them to even try it at first.

TulipRoxy
December 23rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I liked this step-by-step transition....

http://www.reunionrescue.com/id49.html