Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

resque beagle separation anxiety

lenka_f
July 27th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Hi all.
We got a beagle from a resque 2 weeks ago. She is 2 yrs old and a very sweet girl. She is spayed. She is doing exelent as long as someone is home. no exidents on the floor and no distructive behavior ( exept of steeling my dd's underware from the laundry basket and exploring it on the moleculr level :p ) She has a major problems when we are all gone. She is not crated at this point as she came not crate trained. When we come home we find a pudle or two :( , even though she was out just before we left and she is not left alone for more then couple of hours. She also chewed on a dor mat and blinds. She barks and cryes for most of the period that we are gone. I know that beagles are known for their separation anexiety problem but I can't believe that it can't be fixed. We are considering crate training her, but most info that I find is about crate training a puppy. Is there anything I need to be aware of in crate training an adult dog :confused: ? How big should be a crate for a 28 lb beagle. how long does it usualy take to train a dog to stay in the crate. Should I crate her when I leave even if she doesnt like it in there yet? Any other ideas, sugestions and tips are more then welcome.

Thank you for your support,
Yelena

Lucky Rescue
July 27th, 2004, 02:11 PM
You have only had her for two weeks - it's normal that she is distressed, confused and upset. BUT this may also be the reason she was dumped.

Since she is only left alone for a couple of hours, I think a crate would be the best solution until she is trustworthy in the home. Beagles are no more prone to this behavior than any dog, but like all hounds, they can certainly be noisy!

A routine is one good way of reassuring her and giving her confidence. Eat, play, walks etc at the same time every day. Lots of exercise too! "A tired dog is a good dog!" :D

Get her a crate that is plenty big enough for her to stand up, lie down, and turn around in. Get her a Kong and stuff it, or bones to give her when she is in the crate. A 2 yr old dog will have to become used to a crate in a very slow and positive manner.

Here are a couple links I think you will find helpful:
Sep. Anxiety and related behaviors (http://www.perfectpaws.com/sa.html)

LOTS of crate training links (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/crate.htm)

RoxieJRT
August 3rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
I have a three month old JRT that I am trying to crate train. However I believe that she has somewhat of separtion anxiety, or atleast she just plain doesn't like being in a crate even when someone is home she barks and whines and scratches and then just goes poop and pee all over the kennel, even if she has just been outside and used the bathroom. The crate is not too big. She will even do it when someone is in the house but she is in the crate- Believe me washing her and the crate 4 times dailey gets old!!! She normally sleeps with me all through the night and in the crate in the day time- I was thinking to put her in the bathroom with a baby gate. I am just not to sure what else to do. Thanks for any imput

Lucky Rescue
August 3rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
Where did you get this JRT puppy? I ask because puppies from mills and petstores learn to mess in their crates or pens because they have no option.

How many hours is she in the crate during the day? She is very young and couldn't hold it for long.

JRTs are NOT an easy breed and certainly not for everyone. They have off-the-scale energy levels and must be busy all the time.

How much exercise is she getting?

Here is a site you may find informative.
JRT (http://www.terrier.com/wwwboard/forum.php3)