Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The sutures came off!! what should I do??

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
The procedure was done on Charlotte this thursday and came home friday night, I kept a close eye on her but during the night she must of licked herself and this morning the piece of thread was gone..I'm panicking, what could happen? what should I do? To make matters worst it's Sunday.

Corinne

Frenchy
December 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
What was the surgery ? Spay ? Lump removal ? Are there any stitches left ? Is the wound open , is it bleeding ?

You can get "butterfly closures" (pansement de rapprochement) at the pharmacy. They look like little plasters that hold the skin together. But it doesn't replace stitches.

And you must put a cone collar on her so she doesn't get to it.

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Spay is the procedure, she is not bleeding, we see that the wound is not closed...I thought about putting a transparent tape on the wound, but not completely cover it??...she had the cone, but we took it off during the night :loser: Geez i feel so stupid for taking it off...should I put anything on the wound, like iodine...does the wound need to be covered?

Thanks Frenchy...

Frenchy
December 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't put anything on it. Can you get to a pharmacy ? I wouldn't put tape on it either , it will stick to the wound.

14+kitties
December 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM
The night is the time when she needs the cone on more than any other time. During the day you can keep an eye on her. At night she has free rein to do what she wants.
If it is only one stitch I wouldn't worry overly much. Phone your vet or an E vet to see what they suggest. If she only had one stitch and she has pulled it out then definitely phone the E vet. I would not suggest transparent tape. It will stick and could cause problems taking it off later. No iodine.

Frenchy
December 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Geez i feel so stupid for taking it off...

Same thing happened here :o that is why I have a box of those little stitches replacement plasters.

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM
I know everything their is to know about horses and have all the medical supplies needed but when it comes to cats, this is a first...and I feel completely helpless...I called the emergency center in montreal, they suggested keeping her quiet...which I am and she is quiet...I separated the little one from her...she is not licking herself, I will spend the whole day watching her and put the cone on during the night...I just hope the wound doesn't open...With the luck we've been having :sad:

I'm pretty sure Lola, the little one did the licking :lightbulb:

Thanks

rainbow
December 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM
I agree with 14+ kitties....if it was only one stitch out of several then she will likely be okay. One of my cats did that when she got spayed and everything healed up fine. Although I did panic like you and called my vet. :o

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
there was only one stich:eek:...anxiety is what I'm feeling now, I keep checking to make sure there isn't a hole...With the storm and living in the country it's not making thing easier...

Frenchy
December 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM
there was only one stich:eek:...anxiety is what I'm feeling now, I keep checking to make sure there isn't a hole...With the storm and living in the country it's not making thing easier...

You mean she only took out one stitch out of them all ? I wouldn't worry then.

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM
no...she had only one stitch put in...it was one plus a (noeud)

Frenchy
December 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
no...she had only one stitch put in...it was one plus a (noeud)

well that's weird ? Vet was in a hurry ? :rolleyes:

A coworker had her female spayed last week and vet used laser , it sounds much better than any stitches / stamples. But not all vets have the laser.

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM
Do you think they put sutures inside before they close up with one on the outside...I also felt that one stitch was kind of taking a chance!!

rainbow
December 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Do you think they put sutures inside before they close up with one on the outside...I also felt that one stitch was kind of taking a chance!!

They must have done that. It's been six years since my cat was spayed and she had 5 stitches if I remember correctly. Is there any way you can contact your vet to ask if she has inside stitches?

Frenchy
December 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM

I don't know. All vets do them different. But it sounds like a lazy way of doing them !

hazelrunpack
December 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
A lot of vets are using desolvable internal stitches now and gluing the external incision. Did the vet have you make an appointment for stitch removal in 10 days? If he did, then there are supposed to be external stitches. If he didn't, then they might be internal dissolvable ones. :thumbs up Either way, though, she shouldn't be licking at the incision, so the cone is a good idea. And keep her quiet at least till you find out how many stitches are missing...

kathryn
December 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Just an FYI that as far as I know they are stitched on the inside as well... atleast that's what I've seen when I've observed it being done on a cat. The stitch inside with absorbable sutures to close off where the uterus was removed from the rest of the body parts and kinda stitch from the inside out.

No bleeding, swelling, bruising or oozing is good. Just let her be. Call the vet tomorrow.

Love4himies
December 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM
There should be two series of stitches, one for the muscle and one for the skin. If there is only one stitch on the skin layer I wouldn't worry about it unless bleeding, oozing or excessive swelling starts. The vet that does their spaying uses about 4 stitches on the skin layer.

I have seen some of my fosters kittens heal after a few days and their stitches disappear and others have taken a week.

cell
December 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
I agree with previous posts there is usually internal stiches which hold the skin down and in place but there is still the possibility of "puckering" of the skin because of the way internal stiches are done so sometime there will be one or 2 external stiches to stop the skin from creating a overhang. If it is not looking red or swollen or is leaking there is no cause for concern, but do try to keep her from licking it too much or the internal sutures could be disturbed.

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM
Left a message for the vet (doubt that she will call me back today) Charlotte has an appointment for removal of stiches in 10 days...There has to be other stiches inside...I mean you just can't close up a wound with one knot on the surface...or can you:confused: I've been with this Vet for over 10 years..I wish when I asked for detailed info on the procedure that she would've have mention this...she knew how nervous I was because of all the bad luck, she even convinced me to have blood work done before the operation, which was fine with me.. As for any swelling, redness, bleeding...oozing there is none...you see the cut which is pink and the skin is slightly separated...kinda like a cut on a finger...

hazelrunpack
December 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
How long is the separation along the incision? Is it gapping over the entire incision or just where that stitch was?

rainbow
December 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM
As for any swelling, redness, bleeding...oozing there is none...you see the cut which is pink and the skin is slightly separated...kinda like a cut on a finger...

Since there is no oozing, swelling or bleeding she is okay. Just keep her quiet and the cone on when you can't watch her. :)

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
How long is the separation along the incision? Is it gapping over the entire incision or just where that stitch was?

it's the entire incision...but when I first saw the wound on friday night, the knot/stich that came off was at the corner of the incision...if there is to be inside stiches, how will they take them off..I guess the knot was there for that purpose...

hazelrunpack
December 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
I guess I was wondering how long the gap is. A spay incision can be pretty long--but if it's only one stitch, the gap would be less than a half inch in length.

The vet won't remove the internal stitches--they use dissolvable ones to stitch up the inside tissue layers. He'll only remove the external ones.

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
I guess I was wondering how long the gap is. A spay incision can be pretty long--but if it's only one stitch, the gap would be less than a half inch in length.

The vet won't remove the internal stitches--they use dissolvable ones to stitch up the inside tissue layers. He'll only remove the external ones.

The incision is 3/4 inch...

Thank you for all your help, and your quick replies...feel more relax for the moment...we are cuddling charlotte and I beside the fireplace and hoping that everything will be fine...I've got to start working on my faith!

Love4himies
December 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
The incision is 3/4 inch...

Thank you for all your help, and your quick replies...feel more relax for the moment...we are cuddling charlotte and I beside the fireplace and hoping that everything will be fine...I've got to start working on my faith!

That is smaller than what my foster kittens get. Theirs is about 1.5 inches long. I sometimes see a small gap in the incision too. I just can't keep a whole litter of kittens quiet :frustrated:. I think your sweetie will be fine, just keep a close eye on the incision.

hazelrunpack
December 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
That doesn't sound too bad, then. I was picturing something bigger--dog spay incisions (my only experience is with dogs) can be a lot longer. :o Keeping it clean and dry is important to avoid infection.

14+kitties
December 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM
As has been mentioned there will be at least two, sometimes three layers of sutures. The inside sutures are dissovable. In most cases vets are also using dissovable stitches on the outside as well. With all of the cats I have had done I have never had any other kind. :shrug: If you have an appt for suture removal it will be for the outside stitches. Not the inside ones.

This is a good article that explains sutures/incisions/ etc.
http://www.y2spay.org/CatFAQ.htm

I am also adding a picture of one of my girls' belly after she was done. All of the gals I have had done looked like that. One stitch running all the way. Very small incision. As long as she is being kept quiet, has her cone on, and the other pet(s) are kept away she should be ok till morning. But please call your vet then. They will probably require you to come in and have it checked.

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
Charlotte's scar...

14+kitties
December 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
Very small incision. But yep, I would take her in to the vet. He will most likely want to glue it or put a stitch back in. She isn't in really dire need though from what I can see. Maybe just keep an extra close eye on her tonight.

COCO350
December 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Most certainly will get her to the vet tomorrow morning

Thanks 14+