Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog fighting rings, why don't the police do something?

schwillis
December 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM
Why do you rarely hear about any investigations and convictions of people engaged in dog fighting? in ontario, and winnipeg manitoba (and soon to be surrey BC) the only effort of legislatures was the ridicilous pitbull bans (yeah lets ban a innocent breed of dogs.. and force dog fighters to use more potentially dangerous breeds like akitas.. that's all we need is abused akitas mauling people instead of abused pitbulls)

Ive seen lots of idiots walking around cities in canada with dogs covered in scars that are obviously from deliberate dog fighting. It's really not that difficult for the police to follow the movements of these people and infiltrate their dog fighting rings.

I find it frustrating the government spends so much money and resources busting marijuana grow operations which are largely harmless, and do practically nothing about dog fighting which abuses animals, and is often connected with a lot more nefarious criminal activitities then they claim marijuana trafficking iis connected with. Im not much a person to wish jail on people, but anyone who sets dogs up to fight deserve worse then jail.

Frenchy
December 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
I find it frustrating the government spends so much money and resources busting marijuana grow operations

I totally agree with you ! There's no laws protecting our animals here in Canada , politicians are not concerned , because it wouldn't bring nothing more for them. :frustrated:

Same here in Quebec with puppy mills. There are more and more raids but the owners get away with a slap on the hand. :wall:

But if you do have suspicions about someone who's using / training fighting dogs , complain , complain and complain again to your humane society.

TacoGrl
December 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
What about that guy in Didsbury who dragged that dog behind his truck for ****s and giggles?!? He basically got away with it...was laughing when he left the courthouse. :sad:

We need better laws and for people in power to realize cruelty to animals is a sign of mental illness that has proven time and time again to be preludes to much worse crimes (hurting a defenseless animal can't get much worse though)...many a serial killer has hurt killed animals previously. Even my personal experience with people who don't like animals tend to be a tad on the "strange" side.

Etown_Chick
December 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
Or the guy who starved all those horses to death, and another 100 were nearly starved, getting only a $10,000 fine? And can't own more than 40 animals at one time now?
When are our politicians going to take animal abuse seriously?
sighh...

Raumas
December 29th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I don't disagree with any of the points you made. But I do have a question:

Why do you feel Atikas are "more dangerous" than Pitbulls? Do you feel they're more prone to attacking people?

Raumas
An Akita owner who's overly sensitive about his favorite breeds' rep.

schwillis
January 8th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I don't think they are more prone, I just think if raised poorly and abused, they can cause a lot more damage then a pitbull, Their a lot more agile and fast and have stronger bites, same goes for german sheppards and many other breeds, was just an example.