Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's the temperature there?

erykah1310
December 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM
My dear, its freezing here!
I just went out with the dogs and didn't stay out long, I came back in and checked out the trust thermometer and it tells me it is currently -33 out there, not including windchill..
That apparently converts to -27.4 American. ( Fahrenheit)
Either way, its darn cold!:goodvibes: < remove the smile and thats me shivering

NoahGrey
December 20th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Today (in my city) it was -12, with the windchill -28.

ACO22

Adriann27
December 20th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't even go outside!!! I can't even imagine how negative temps feel!!! I would call in to work COLD! :laughing::laughing:
Of course, it was 70 (F) here yesterday....and we are a week from Christmas.;)

Love4himies
December 20th, 2008, 09:17 AM
-15 without the windchill and in the sunshine. Kitties THINK they want to go outside.

erykah1310
December 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Serves me for living in the middle of a field. It looks to be warming up a bit though.

Only Karma wants to be out there, this is right up her Tibetan alley, silly girl.

kara1
December 20th, 2008, 09:58 AM
in edmonton ,ab its too damn cold -28 celcius and its been about this temp for a week and no relief in site till after christmas

hazelrunpack
December 20th, 2008, 10:57 AM
We're having a heat wave - It's about -7 C here...about 20 F. That's as warm as it's been all week. By Monday, however, we're expecting highs of about -15 C (3 F), though...and windy...so as to make hubby really cold when he goes out to plow the snow we're supposed to get this weekend. :o He's already sick of winter and it's not even here yet.

14+kitties
December 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM
We live in Canada (most of us). Land of polar bears, igloos and eskimos, right? :p We can handle a little bit of cold. Yep, we can. I know we can. I hope we can......

kathryn
December 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Well of course it's got to be cold, otherwise all your igloos would melt :rolleyes: Silly Canadians.

Isn't it about polar bear season for you guys as well?

;)

Maxine
December 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I lived in Nunavut for 5 months, thank god I was there between April and September, the "warm" season :rolleyes:

Gotta love the cold :D

It is -26 Celsius here in Montreal (includind windchill)

NoahGrey
December 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I lived in Nunavut for 5 months, thank god I was there between April and September, the "warm" season :rolleyes:

What was the "warm" season. How cold was it?

ACO22

Maxine
December 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
hum... in April/May it got to 40 below with the windchill... frequently.... lots of blizzards...then in june it was warmer like 15 below... (it can varies though, colder or warmer) and in July well we had summer!! Woohoo a big 2 and a half weeks between 5 and 15 degrees!

August was like june (but with lots of fog) and September was like May :rolleyes:

Stacer
December 20th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I think it's around -14 C here in the GTA. But it's nice and sunny and the snow looks beautiful!

meg4050
December 20th, 2008, 01:53 PM
It's -16, -22 with windchill beside the lake. I agree with you Stacer - it looks gorgeous out there! The lake has frozen over so it's all sparkly with the sun!

Saigo
December 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM
To darn cold! -30 and has been for a week now.

Frenchy
December 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Here I don't know but it's too freaking cold. The snow is sitting on the patio waiting to be shoveled .... in the front of the house too .... I want July :pray:

Dogs have a hard time walking back to the house , lifting their paws all sticky with snow.

Frenchy
December 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
To darn cold! -30 and has been for a week now.

-30 in BC ? :eek:

rainbow
December 20th, 2008, 02:49 PM
It's 16C here and the windchill makes it -26C. It's been abnormally cold here for a week now .....supposed to warm up by Wednesday. :fingerscr

otter
December 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
It's cold, colder then cold, reeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllly cold here! Last night at last check -35C PLUS windchill... I have no idea how cold that is, too cold for me, too cold for Molly, just tooooooooooo cold :goodvibes::goodvibes: (shivering)

erykah1310 I think we's in the same climatic zone :p

Sigh... in some sick way I kinda love all this winteryness :cloud9:

chico2
December 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
It was only -10C here today,nice and sunny but waaay to cold for me,talked to my son in Alberta-36C,no way could I handle that:yell:

Frenchy
December 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Sigh... in some sick way I kinda love all this winteryness :cloud9:

Have you been getting into someone's stash ? :p

I hate winter , everything takes longer , getting dress , warm up the car ... I hate having layers and layers on me :yell:

otter
December 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Have you been getting into someone's stash ? :p

I hate winter , everything takes longer , getting dress , warm up the car ... I hate having layers and layers on me :yell:

Musta been the hypothermia talking :laughing:

Your so right, everything does take longer and is more complicated (things get frozen, I get frozen doing things, snow gets in everything) :frustrated:

bendyfoot
December 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
About -18C, -30C with the windchill...

brrrrrr........:yuck:

Gail P
December 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I have no idea what it got down to overnight here. Yesterday in my truck the thermometer was reading -16C and I kept hearing on the radio that with the wind chill it was about 10-11 degrees colder. Today was a beautiful day, around the same temperature but no wind and sunny blue skies all day that made the fresh snow sparkle. I spent most of the day outside between doing chores, grooming my trail and sledding with the dogs. It was gorgeous. I did take a break for lunch to warm up after snowmobiling around the trail (that certainly created some wind chill that I hadn't dressed for!). But still, a wonderful day to be outside if you like the winter and you're dressed for it. The dogs didn't mind either, after sledding we went plowing around through the deep snow in the bush looking for our Christmas tree. They had a ball. :dog: Call me crazy if you like but I love winter :thumbs up

TacoGrl
December 20th, 2008, 10:05 PM
-29C WC -36 official

My thermometer says it's only -25 though, but I can see the wind blowing the snow out there and BRRRRRR it looks!

Does it really matter once it gets past -20 LOL!

Love4himies
December 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
No it doesn't, I think it has dipped to minus 150. Kitties are all snug in their beds.

chico2
December 21st, 2008, 07:32 AM
It's snowing again,looks like winter wonderland out there early this morning(got up 5:30am,thank's to my furry monsters!!)but I think I prefer summer wonderland:laughing:
It's still -10C,still toooo cold

Karin
December 21st, 2008, 07:43 AM
Hmmm, it has been about a week now with my windows open. I had my ceiling fan running in the bedroom last night. Not warm enough to turn on the a/c but I needed the breeze.
We do have a cold front expected to dip down on us tonight and it may get down to the 40 degree mark.
It is still tank top, shorts and flip flop weather here.

chico2
December 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM
Ok Karin,yesterday,I was wearing longjohns(with flowers on them:laughing:)jeans,double socks and boots and a big warm jacket,just to go outside for 1/2 hour,I am especially bothered by the cold,maybe it's my age:shrug:
Everyone says"but you're Swedish,used to the cold and snow",not sooo,I don't even remember this much snow in Stockholm,but we lived in the city.

Of course growing up,I remember,skiing,skating and sledding,snow was fun then.....oh well,not so now:yell:

erykah1310
December 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM
Everyone says"but you're Swedish,used to the cold and snow",not sooo,I don't even remember this much snow in Stockholm,but we lived in the city.

Of course growing up,I remember,skiing,skating and sledding,snow was fun then.....oh well,not so now:yell:

I want to go to Sweden so badly! But its so expensive to vacation there. I want to bring my parents as my dad has always wanted to go too.
One day hopefully we can go see our culture first hand:pray:

chico2
December 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
Erykah,I always thought your parents were German,the name Erica is a very common german name.
and you're right,Sweden is very expensive to visit,as is all of Europe,maybe except for Portugal.:sorry::offtopic:

erykah1310
December 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Nope not German, my fathers parents had both came over when they were very young ( Gramma was 9 and not sure how old Grandpa was) they met here much later and eventually married and well the rest is history.
My mothers family is Polish, French and native.
I must say though I am thrilled to have been born a girl, for if I had been born a boy my name would have been Bjorn... I'm not the biggest fan of that name

chico2
December 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM
It's actually spelled Björn in Swedish,used to be a popular name in Sweden:laughing:You know we have 3 extra letters in our alphabet,,å,ä and ö:laughing:

Gail P
December 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Ok Karin,yesterday,I was wearing longjohns(with flowers on them:laughing:)jeans,double socks and boots and a big warm jacket...

There's your problem, jeans are not warm. I never wear them in the winter except if I'm just running into town and then I always come home feeling chilled. When I'm dressing to go out and do chores or spend time outside I always wear heavyweight cotton track pants or even flannel sleep pants with wind pants overtop. I keep active enough that longjohns aren't necessary, I would overheat. Actually, I apparently do it all wrong too because cotton is not a good fabric to wear in cold weather because if you do become overheated in your activity it stays damp. They say (they being the wonderfully wise people on the sled dog board I frequent, who really know how to dress for many, many hours out on the sled runners in arctic temperatures) that you should wear polypro longjohns and top and layer over that with more poly (polar fleece etc.). That stuff is supposed to dry quickly and wick the dampness away from your body. My problem is usually my feet. They're great when I'm moving around but if I stand they tend to get chilled. Again, probably from overheating to begin with and then being damp. I wear felt lined boots rated to -40 for doing chores and pull the liners out every time to dry on the heat vents. Sometimes I just wear cotton sport socks (that darned cotton again!), or when it's colder I have really nice socks made by J.B. Fields that are -30 icelandic socks. They're merino wool (not at all itchy like other wool) and the inside is woven into a terry cloth, nice and cushiony. I also just bought myself some Sorels rated to -100 for when I will be spending time standing around at the dogsled races. For racing I have some winter hikers (-32) but for the other times I want something warmer. Those temperature ratings can be deceiving because they're only good to those temps if you're doing heavy activity, not if you're just standing. I haven't found the perfect gloves yet. I've tried lots of different lined work gloves but they eventually get soaked through and then they end up stiff and hard. I need something like work gloves for doing chores, not mitts but I have small hands so my choices are a bit limited.

chico2
December 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Gail,I am not outside as much as you,but I too have problems finding mitts that are warm enough,right now,walking Bailey I wear Thinsulate thumb-mitts,much warmer than gloves.

Karin
December 21st, 2008, 11:59 PM
Ok Karin,yesterday,I was wearing longjohns(with flowers on them:laughing:)jeans,double socks and boots and a big warm jacket,just to go outside for 1/2 hour,I am especially bothered by the cold,maybe it's my age:shrug:

LMSAO! Of course Chico, you know already I am Swedish too....I get the same thing from people! I should love the cold..NOT! That is why I live in Florida.
So we had a cold front come through today, It will get down to 40 degrees tonight, no shorts for tomorrow but I will be sportin' the flip flops, always do, I live in them.
Besides, it will only be cold for 1 day this time.

Karin
December 22nd, 2008, 12:11 AM
Erykah,I always thought your parents were German,the name Erica is a very common german name.
and you're right,Sweden is very expensive to visit,as is all of Europe,maybe except for Portugal.:sorry::offtopic:

I was actually thinking it was Swedish, my maiden name is Ekdahl. I kept my married name after my divorce only because it was easier to explain.

mummummum
December 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
I believe it is now -9 c which would make it about 16 Farenheit.

Positively BALMY !!

The colder the better ~ Bring it ON I say. Anything to get out of a miserably damp, slushy (did I mention miserable) Toronto winter.

chico2
December 22nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
:offtopic:Karin, Ekdahl means Ek=Oak,Dal=Valley,so you can call yourself Miss Oakvalley:laughing:
My maiden-name is Deresjö,it's a hoot trying to get anyone to pronounce it.:laughing:
3XM....oh noooo,here it's -15C right now,but the sun is peeking through,maybe it will get warmer:fingerscr

TacoGrl
December 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
-21C this morning and guess what, snowing again! Yipee!!! :thumbs up

We are SOOOOO overdue for a Chinook. :rolleyes:

Karin
December 23rd, 2008, 01:10 AM
:offtopic:Karin, Ekdahl means Ek=Oak,Dal=Valley,so you can call yourself Miss Oakvalley:laughing:
My maiden-name is Deresjö,it's a hoot trying to get anyone to pronounce it.:laughing:
3XM....oh noooo,here it's -15C right now,but the sun is peeking through,maybe it will get warmer:fingerscr

I always knew this! My family came from a town similar to this name and is where my dear oma lays at rest. She raised me for the most part, never learning to speak english.

Pfft! I have the heat on right now...go figure, it's Florida! But I am still going to wear flip flops tomorrow, highs in the low eighties.
It's an ahh weather day!

P.S. Chico.....my daughters name is Stephanie Ekdahl.