Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

male vs. female cat?

TacoGrl
December 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Just a little research here...

I have always owned female cats, BUT I am coming across some mighty fine looking male cats on the adoption sites.

I am wondering if there is anything I need to know about owning a male cat that might be different than a female? Do they need a bigger litter box? (do male cats squat? :o) Do they ALWAYS mark their territory even after being fixed? Are there additional or maybe less health issues? Is their temperment different? Would two male cats fight too much even if they were fixed?

Pls don't laugh...some of these questions sound dumb, but they are honest questions that will help me make a decision thx :)

Oh ya, and...

100 POSTS!!! :clap:

14+kitties
December 18th, 2008, 10:00 PM
No, they don't need a bigger litter box. They all pee the same. Although some cats have a unique way of "squatting", some like to stand, all different but litter boxes are not required to be bigger.

No, not all male cats mark their territory. The earlier they are fixed the better but that still does not guarantee no marking. But, I would like to point out, there are quite a few females that mark as well.

Kidney and bladder stones can be a little more prevelant in males. That can be controlled a great deal with a healthy diet. No dry food. No foods with grains or corn. A lot of members feed raw. It is something to look into if you are interested.

I am sure others may disagree with me but in my experience male cats can at times be a little more laid back than females. But it depends. I have also met some pretty anal male kitties. :rolleyes:

At this moment there are 15 cats in the catuary house. Six of them are male. The rest females. There is next to no fighting. Seriously! If there is a squabble it tends to be more between the females than the males. I have 5 in the house right now. 3 females, 2 males. There is no difference in the fighting. Actually, there isn't much at all besides the normal scuffle occasionally.

If you are looking to adopt 2 (great idea btw) my only advise would be to get them as young as possible. That way there is a greater chance of them getting along.

clm
December 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Congrats on your 100 posts.

I've had both male and female cats. All my indoor cats now are girls, but my two previous indoor cats were male and my big indoor outdoor cat is male. I haven't found any noticable difference between male and female. I've had gentle males, rough females and visa versa. Likewise I've had large males and small females and visa versa. Male cats squat to pee just like females, they do however spray to mark territory sometimes if they're not neutered. I've never had a male cat spray in the house. Both my previous cats were neutered before 6 months of age, that may have been the reason. My big indoor/outdoor male was neutered before he adopted me, I have no idea at what age. He does spray his territory outdoors, but not in the house. You have to be more careful with a male cats diet as a poor quality or dry only diet can increase their chance of crystals.
Male or female, makes no never mind to me. I'll take any cat, male or female, they're all wonderful.

Cindy

kathryn
December 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Ugh, my cats are going to kill me but I prefer the males!

I have uhhh 4 females and 7 males. But, I mean it really goes by individual cats.

My female cats are all much fatter then the males. The males are all lean and with the exception of Tessie I would call all my females fatties. Tessie is just a bit bulky. But my males have alot more muscle on them.

With the exception of Kasey, my male cats are alot more playful, active and pleasant. Kasey is a nice cat but is aggressive towards other cats because he believes he is the alpha male.

None of my cats have ever sprayed ever. Kasey was late being neutered and gets 'frisky' with the other cats from time to time :yuck: but none of them have EVER sprayed. Gotta snip them early! My vet didn't want to do him before 6 months but Kasey started going at his sister Missy when they were like, 4 months old!

So it really depends on alot of things. If you are really looking for something specific in a cat, adopt an adult cat, NOT a kitten. Their personalities are built in.

TeriM
December 19th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I gotta say I would lean towards a male kitty. It seems to me that they are more affectionate but I'm sure others would have different experiences then I have had. I'm sure any kitty who is lucky to end up in your home will be a good fit :thumbs up.

ancientgirl
December 19th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I've got two boys and three girls. The boys get along really well, and they seem to be able to play rough with each other than with the girls.

Vlad and Maks are pretty laid back as far as temperament, even though Vlad is a little more bossy. Oksana is very much to herself and super independent. She is the one who I'd say fights the most and it's usually with Vlad, simply because she just doesn't feel like playing and he does. Kiska is, I wouldn't say affectionate, but she likes attention...a lot of attention. :laughing: And Czarina who is my oldest girl, she's actually a cuddle bum. Like sitting on my lap and will get up on the couch to sit next to me.

I've never had an issue with any of them marking, other than Czarina when I tried to bring her in the first time around, but I attribute most of that with stress than anything. She's never done it since she's been with me the second time around.

As for the litter, ditto on what everyone else has said. They all pee the same way squatting, and for the most part your box's size should be roomy enough for them to at the very least turn around in and be able to take a few steps in any direction.

Vlad is my biggest cat, but Maks isn't really a whole lot bigger than Oksana or Czari, so he's a pretty small guy. I don't think there's any real size standard, it depends on the individual cat.

How wonderful that you are thinking to adopt two kitties in need of a home.:grouphug:

Love4himies
December 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
All have given good advice, especailly 14+ who mentioned canned only, quality cat food for males.

I personally have found male cats to be more laid back and lovable. BUT more importantly is to have that special connection between you and your kitty upon the first meeting.

rhartjr
December 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Our 10 are evenly split 5 females 5 males. The males love to wrestle and play, the girls...oh man they get pure evil towards each other sometimes. But all in all they all get along pretty well. I tend to agree with 14+ our males are a bit more laid back. All equally affectionate though.

TacoGrl
December 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Thx all for clearing things up for me! :goodvibes:

(I never knew female cats marked their territory...thought that was a guy thing)

Now I can focus on personality and not pass by the cute little man with his arms stuck out at me LOL!

I like having two kitties...I am VERY active with my pets (people who meet them always say "wow a cat can do that???"), but it is nice for them to have a playmate when I am at work...when I got Mooki, I already had Jaeger, but they didn't really get along all that well with me around, but they had their moments and sure hung out when I wasn't home (cameras :thumbs up).

I am excited, but feeling guilty for being excited...I miss my Mooki A LOT, but I can't wait to meet my new little buddies...

Love4himies
December 19th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thx all for clearing things up for me! :goodvibes:

Now I can focus on personality and not pass by the cute little man with his arms stuck out at me LOL!

I like having two kitties...I am VERY active with my pets (people who meet them always say "wow a cat can do that???"), but it is nice for them to have a playmate when I am at work...when I got Mooki, I already had Jaeger, but they didn't really get along all that well with me around, but they had their moments and sure hung out when I wasn't home (cameras :thumbs up).

I am excited, but feeling guilty for being excited...I miss my Mooki A LOT, but I can't wait to meet my new little buddies...

To me that means you are ready. Totally agree with 2 cats, especially if you find males, they really need companionship. :thumbs up

Joeyjoejoe
December 19th, 2008, 10:38 AM
From what I experienced with my cats (2 males) and from my friends

Male cats tend to be:

-more affectionate
-less territorial
-more likely to be lap cats (mine aren't)
-less moody
-bigger

When I was looking to adopt, half my friends told me to get male cats and the other told me to get female. If you remember from my early posts, I compromised and got one of each (but later discovered both were male :o).

Jim Hall
December 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
yah generally its like joey said but always get 2 if you can afford it esp male and get them together they donat have to be young but if you get them together there will be less territory issues

faranya
December 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I much prefer the personalities of most males I've had over the years. They've usually been a bit more goofy, friendly, loving and easy-going. The females have been nice too, of course, but in general not as laid-back and tolerant. I have two males and one female right now. The female is very short-tempered when it comes to our kitten, and she also is incredibly possessive-jealous of me. The adult male is a "whatever" - I love all of ya! kind of guy. And the kitten is a character, plain and simple.

Males do tend toward more problems with cardiomyopathy than females. I've had two males with this affliction and it's major. However, I've also owned several male kitties with perfectly sound hearts. As for urinary problems, I've not experienced many male cats with these ... but my current female (age 11) gets bladder infections pretty much annually and then pees in the tub, which means it's time for another vet visit.

The oldest cat I've ever had was 19 and a male. So longevity isn't an issue either.

Both sexes have their good and bad points. I'd just get whichever cat "speaks to you" and not consider its sex.