Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Damien

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 10:37 AM
I talked to Tina,she said the lady wanted to thank me for teaching Damien the basics,he is doing great,very happy,they were worried about him with cats but he is fine,said she thinks he will make a great service dog,said i can call her or see him anytime,i think i will just call her tonight for now....

Lucky Rescue
July 27th, 2004, 11:12 AM
A service dog? Really? That would be wonderful!!:)

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Yeah i cant believe it either,he is really smart,i feel alot better,she said her friend said he is really happy,i am gonna call this lady tonight and get the full scoop......

Goldenmom
July 27th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Awesome Heidi! What I suspect is that Damien is not the boss in his new home. He is so smart and will learn very quickly with someone that is alpha to him.

Great news and I bet you feel great and know that you did the right thing.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Yeah Goldenmom,that is what i figured to,he needed someone a little smarter then him, and honsetly i wasnt it,he is a little genius.i do feel alot better knowing it is going good,still miss him alot,but it does get better with time,and i will get the full scoop tonight when i call the lady..

chico2
July 27th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Heidi,I am really happy for Damien,I must have missed some news...did he already get adopted?

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 05:20 PM
The lady that was fostering knew someone interested in him as a rescue dog,so 2 weeks ago she picked him up to see if she thinks he has what it takes,Tina called me and said the lady wanted to thank me for teaching him the basics and he is really happy,gets along with cats[which he has never been around with me] and thinks he will work out great as a serivce dog,i am happy,the only thing i wish for is for him to get in a permanent home,which i guess would be awhile for the training,but she says he is happy i do feel really good about that,and actually flattered my dog turned out so smart and impresses everyone./...

chico2
July 27th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Of course you are proud,he was your baby.Thank's for explaining :D

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I do like to think i did teach him well,will always think about him at least once a day,but he was just a little smarter then me,sounds so crazy to say,but he was the smartest dog i have yet to meet............I guess i can look at it as a teaching lessson for the next dog i get eventually,cause he taught me what NOT to do and i do think i loved on him just a little much which then put him as alpha.....

Spoiled
July 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
WOW!! Lucky Damien! I'm so happy for both of you! I'm sure he'll make a great service dog.

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 06:55 PM
That is what i said,i know he is smart,but because of his attitude i really didnt think i would get the phone call that he would be great as a service dog,but i guess i was wrong......I am pretty proud,he just needed to put all those smarts to good use.

glasslass
July 27th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Nice update! Missed you the last few days Heidiho! So happy to hear about Damien! :)

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks,it is kind of like one of those bittersweet things,happy but will miss him always

glasslass
July 27th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Kind of like ending a relationship isn't it! You earned your stripes by what you did for Damien! :)

heidiho
July 28th, 2004, 11:05 AM
It is Glasslass,hard to believe he went from Ohio to Kentucky to Arizona,i just think of all the cute things that he did,like when we drove from Kentucky to arizona and he was on sedatives and i would take him out of the car to walk him and he would just stumble around like a drunk,uhhhh,see i cant do that,that is when i get upset...............

glasslass
July 28th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Dwell on the future and the positives! What's new? :)

heidiho
July 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM
I do.I know eventually i will have another dog,for now i have a fish,not really exciting but low maintenance.........

glasslass
July 28th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Are you getting ready to go back to school? Trying to remember what you've told us.

heidiho
July 28th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Me?? No school here,i am just waiting til i am more financially prepared for a dog,and when my lease is up at my apt..So i can maybe get a duplex with backyard....

Luba
July 28th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Thats wonderful news Heidi :D great to hear!

heidiho
July 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks Luba,i tried to call her last night to get the ladies # that has him,but she wasnt home,will call tonight and get the whole scoop how my boy is doing....I am pretty flattered at her thanks to me for teaching him the basics

Lucky Rescue
July 28th, 2004, 02:24 PM
heidi, don't know if you are aware, but there is a GSD rescue in Phoenix,with many beautiful dogs needing homes! I"m sure the rescue would appreciate any help - maybe you could even foster a dog for them, or help in other ways.:)

Take a look at "Yusi"!

Phoenix GSD rescue (http://www.swgermanshepherdrescue.com/)

sammiec
July 28th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Nice work Heidi!!! Speaking of service dogs. I watched Turner and Hooch last weekend. What a riot!!! :p :D

heidiho
July 28th, 2004, 02:36 PM
What a story,there are just so many,,,,,,,,,,,she is pretty cute,thanks for that site....

heidiho
July 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Turner and Hooch i love it,i am such a neat freak like he is in that movie,i love when the dog destroys his house...

heidiho
July 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM
I talked to Tina last night,it was to late to call the lady that has damien,but she said [christina] the one who has him,said she is privileged to have damien,he now can open drawers,and carry a plate without anything dropping..I asked tina why does she think the other lady got him under control and i couldnt,she said it is kind of like when someone has a kid that is a terror,but then the kid spends the day with someone other than the parents and is an angel,she said..The lady also owns a dog inn. Damien will be with her for about a year for training,gonna call her tonight,said i am welcome anytime to see him.Tina also said quote,ALL gsd's are smart,some are smarter,damien just happend to be a genius[i think she is just trying to make me feel better] i just WISH one of you could of met him,because he really was amazingly smart,well that is it for now..

sammiec
July 30th, 2004, 11:15 AM
I am so glad that thigs are working out for Damien!!! That's awesome news, and just to think that you had a part in that must make you all warm and fuzzy! Nice job! :D

heidiho
July 30th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Sammiec,i do feel pretty good about that, thank youfor the compliment.The first 3 months i had him i didnt work,so i spent alot of time teaching him things.We were together 24/7,and it was alot of work,even without working.So yeah i am sooo proud,i knew his smarts had to be put to something.When i think about it,i think i would be ok if i seen him,just not sure if he would,but tina told me he would be fine,i just want to get some pics,he must be getting big,he is 7 months now.

glasslass
July 30th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Heidi, maybe you could ask them to take some video of him performing. That way you could see him in action without any emotional upset to him while he's just really finding himself. It sounds like he is adjusting so well!

heidiho
August 6th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I finally got a hold of the lady that has him last night,she was kind of short on the phone,i know she is busy,but i had so many questions for her,well this is all i got,she is doubling up on his feeding,so he is the right weight and size for this,has never has a problem with his food agrression,she says that is from 35 years exp. with dogs.They have not started the extensive training yet,she wants him to get used to routine right now,and that is all sshe is focusing on right now with him,i asked what happens in a year after training and no one needs him,she said he will be with her forever,and that was about it,i wanted to ask about pics,but i could tell she was in a rush to get off the phone. P.S. She said he weighs about 70 pounds.[he is a little over 7 months old] :cool: :cool: :cool:

Luba
August 6th, 2004, 11:55 PM
70lbs already WOW what a big boy :D

Maybe the woman is 'weaning' you off of him.

heidiho
August 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Hee!! Hee!! You could be right,yeah she said she is doubling up on his feeding,want to call and see if maybe she could e-mail some pics,but i will wait.