Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat peein my room

soccerbabi67
December 18th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I got a cat at the end of july, she was about 15 weeks old and rescue off the street. She was very skittish and what not, typical of a street cat. I kept her in my room till we knew if she was able to socialize with the other cat and dog. I left for school in the beginning of September but at that point she spent most of her time downstairs with the rest of family. She is about 8 months old now and she peeing in my room on my bed and blankets and towels. I used to keep a litter box upstairs for her but now she shares with the other cat in the basement and she uses it when i keep my door shut. besides it being UTI or other bladder infection, how can i stop it, she peed right infront of me today. I'm also taking her to get spayed this month.

Adriann27
December 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
A lot of times cats will pee in front (or on) there owners to tell them something is wrong. If you haven't taken her to the vet for a possible UTI, go ahead. When my male cat peed at my feet one day, I thought....what is wrong with him? He was 8 yrs old. The next day I was rushing him to the Vet and lots of money later if I realized he was trying to tell me that he had urinary issues the day before, I would have save him a lot of pain and a surgery and myself heartache and a lot of money.

It could also be that she doesn't want to share a litter box with the other cat. I have a cat like that as well. I believe (and I'm no expert) that the rule of thumb is two boxes per cat.

I hope this helps!!! Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!

14+kitties
December 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Good advice Adriann27. I second a trip to the vet. It could also be a few other possibilities. You said 8 months oldish? Could be spraying. Yes, females do it too. Has she been in heat yet? If not it's a possibility. The having to share a litter box could be it too.

Rule of thumb is one box for each cat with an extra one. The extra is in case they don't like treading on their poo. I know I don't. She could also be super persnickity as to how clean she likes the box. Some kitties like their boxes super clean. Like, cleaned every time it's used. Please don't put the boxes next to each other. That usually doesn't work.

The other possibility is that she can smell her urine in your room. If she has been using your bed/clothes, etc as her own personal litter box it's quite probable. What are you using to clean? A good cleaner like Nature's Miracle is what is needed to get rid of the smell. Other cleaners cover up the smell. They don't eliminate it.

There are other possibilities as well. Starting life as a "street cat" sure doesn't help but none of my ex-ferals use furniture, clothing, etc. They use litterboxes. Lots of litter boxes. :rolleyes:

Love4himies
December 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Both Adriann and 14+ gave good suggestions. I keep one litter box on a different floor from the main ones as very timid Puddles will not use the main ones when :evil: Sweet Pea is around.

catlover2
December 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
soccerbabi67, it sounds like to me that she wants the litter box back in your bedroom all the time. If she's skittish, she may feel she's running the gauntlet to get to a litter box in the basement. Cats peeing on clothes are usually telling you they're unhappy with their litter box arrangement. She is also sexually mature and is probably coming into her first heat, and 'scent marking' by peeing outside a litter box is common behaviour. All the more reason to have her spayed, and the sooner the better, if she has not had it done.

soccerbabi67
December 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM
shes going to get spayed as soon as i get my friends of animal certificate. shes not as skittish just doesnt like to be held or pet unless she is in my room or when we are in the bathroom. and we had to put our old male down from his bladder being over stretch from crystals. im going to take her to vet to make sure she doesnt have an infection. and i put a litterbox back upstairs. i just dont want to have to keep her out of my room its the only place she is truely affectionate with me. it started when i was away at school and pretty recently i assume.