Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Walking my Dog

samir222
December 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I am having trouble walking my dog.... she is 7 weeks old now everytime i take her outside she thinks she has to poop and after she poops... she starts crying because she want to go back home i try to walk her but she does not like it is she just too young? maybe too cold?? she is a siberian husky ... how do i get her to walk outside with a leech

luckypenny
December 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Your baby is much too young to be taking leash walks. A few minutes at a time outdoors is enough for now, especially if it's cold where you are.

samir222
December 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Your baby is much too young to be taking leash walks. A few minutes at a time outdoors is enough for now, especially if it's cold where you are.

how old does she have to be to start taking walks?

Karin
December 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
how old does she have to be to start taking walks?

How old are you?

samir222
December 17th, 2008, 11:24 PM
How old are you?
why do you ask? I am 17.... am not forcing her outside.... when she cries i take her back home all i do is try to walk her outside my house for 3 minutes the moment she starts disliking it i get her inside the house

TeriM
December 18th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Seven weeks is quite young for leash walking. I agree with Luckypenny and would just just outside for potty breaks (especially in really cold weather) and play sessions. Over the next few weeks you can try to carry the pup maybe a few houses down and then have her "walk" back on leash.

Longblades
December 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
she is 7 weeks old now How old was she when you got her? I'm sorry, I know you posted with leash walking questions, but I believe you should be prepared to do extra work socializing this pup who it seems may have been taken from the litter at far too young an age. My apologies if you already knew this. I agree, she is too young for leash walks. My pup was not on leash walks till 4 months of age when his vaccinations were complete and it was safe to take him where other dogs went. You know this as well I hope? That your pup is at risk of disease from other dogs before her vacc.s are complete? Ask your Vet and breeder and consult puppy books for more on these subjects. Some Vets will OK puppy classes for the socialization.

cell
December 18th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Also you want to be sure that all puppy needles are given and effective (2 weeks after the final set I believe) to ensure immunity to all the buggies which are outside and VERY dangerous to young puppies before wandering away from home.

samir222
December 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM
yes dont worry i know that... yes she was a little young when i had he she was 6 weeks old... i have had her only for a week now and she is taking her shots..... she has to take shots every 4 weeks 3 more times i think is what the vet said she is ery playful arround the house she does not go anywhere else other than in my room or outside for her potty training making her get used to the fact that she has to poo outside not in my room