Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Holiday Decorating Ideas

luckypenny
December 16th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm curious to know what you all do for decorating during the holidays. We haven't decided if we'll be putting up a tree seeing this is the first Christmas all the dogs are no longer crated while we aren't home. Not sure if I can trust them with all the shiny balls so easily within their reach :rolleyes:. What if Penny wants to see if they "squeak" :eek: ?

So far, this is about the best my imagination could come up with :o. Please let me know if it looks as cheesy as the boys have said it is :laughing: .

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/16-12-2008006.jpg

Frenchy
December 16th, 2008, 10:06 PM
X-mas decorations ARE NEVER cheesy !

Paddington completely destroyed my x-mas tree last year and I didn't get a new one this year. I installed x-mas lights around the mouldings , high enough to be out of reach from cats & dogs. :thumbs up

poodletalk
LP: Put a tree, put the vacumn cleaner near it so the dogs won't go near it when your not around. That's what my parents use to do when their dogs were a pup. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
:laughing: I'm thinking of doing the same thing! Brier is guaranteed to eat anything that isn't safely hanging high out of reach :o Only mine won't look as nice cuz my ornaments are such a hodgepodge :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't think it's cheesy-looking...and coming from WI, believe me, I know cheese when I see it... :o :D

poodletalk
December 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I forgot to add, nice dinning room!

luckypenny
December 16th, 2008, 10:16 PM
LP: Put a tree, put the vacumn cleaner near it so the dogs won't go near it when your not around. That's what my parents use to do when their dogs were a pup. :laughing:

That won't work, I've conditioned our dogs to love the vacuum :o :D.

:laughing: I'm thinking of doing the same thing! Brier is guaranteed to eat anything that isn't safely hanging high out of reach :o Only mine won't look as nice cuz my ornaments are such a hodgepodge :rolleyes:

I'm just hoping no one decides to jump up on the table. Do you have really old decorations? Those are the greatest :cloud9:. We have a couple from when dh was a little boy. One is a red partridge in a tree....within a clear glass ornament shaped like a pear. Too cool!

Frenchy, I keep thinking lights on a tree or around a window. Great idea around the moldings :thumbs up.

14+kitties
December 16th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Very neat idea. Not cheesy at all! And I love your house!! Very nice. :thumbs up
I actually am in the midst of decorating a tree. :rolleyes: Five kittens in the house, four of whom are 9 months and younger, and I am decorating a tree. :headslap: I got the beaded garland out to untwist it and put it up and all of a sudden I had four very interested kitties around me. Tinka took one end of it and took off with it. Yes, I got pictures! Should be interesting to see how long it takes to "undecorate" the tree.

hazelrunpack
December 16th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Do you have really old decorations?

Nothing really old...but they're almost all hand-made.

I got the beaded garland out to untwist it and put it up and all of a sudden I had four very interested kitties around me. Tinka took one end of it and took off with it. Yes, I got pictures! Should be interesting to see how long it takes to "undecorate" the tree.

Can't wait to see the pics of the kitties with the garland! :cloud9:

And every day you have to take more pics...of the tree...in its various stages of undress, k? :laughing:

14+kitties
December 16th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Can't wait to see the pics of the kitties with the garland! :cloud9:

And every day you have to take more pics...of the tree...in its various stages of undress, k? :laughing:

:laughing: I should have started already. Mylee was just climbing on the bottom branches. :rolleyes:

luckypenny
December 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I forgot to add, nice dinning room!

Very neat idea. Not cheesy at all! And I love your house!! Very nice. :thumbs up

Trust me, I cleaned up plenty before taking that pic :laughing:.

Yes, I got pictures!

You better share :goodvibes:

Dh's mom :candle: used to make her own too. Can we see some pics of yours :pray:? I have just about all the decorations the boys have ever made when they were wee :cloud9:.

Frenchy
December 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM
And I love your house!! Very nice. :thumbs up

You should see the rest of it :cloud9: Love the lighting , very cozy :cloud9:

which reminds me , I was suppose to move in soon and haven't gotten around to start packing yet ......

14+kitties
December 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
You should see the rest of it :cloud9: Love the lighting , very cozy :cloud9:

which reminds me , I was suppose to move in soon and haven't gotten around to start packing yet ......

geezzz Gal, you got yourself spread pretty thin. You are moving to LP's, Hazel's, the catuary. Did I miss someone?

I remember seeing pics of Sandman's bedroom and the living room and the yard. Very very nice!!

luckypenny
December 16th, 2008, 11:14 PM
You should see the rest of it

I remember seeing pics of Sandman's bedroom and the living room and the yard. Very very nice!!

That's only cuz the previous owners had nice taste :laughing:. Although I'd like to get rid of Sandman's checkered walls but he likes them that way :shrug:.

14+kitties
December 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
That's only cuz the previous owners had nice taste :laughing:. Although I'd like to get rid of Sandman's checkered walls but he likes them that way :shrug:.

He'll probably change his mind when he gets a little older. He is a very smart kid. Look at his teacher!!

TeriM
December 16th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Do you have a table that you could set up a smaller tree on? Then hopefully it will be far enough out of reach to be safe :D.

zomo
December 17th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I think I will just decorate the pups and kitties :lightbulb: might last longer ;)

joeysmama
December 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
It's very pretty. Don't listen to boys!

But I'm so into Christmas decorating I want to put in my two cents. If I'm being forward then just ignore me.

Your dining room is so pretty that I would take the balls off the light and put them in a glass bowl. I would take the placemats off the table and put a runner on instead. A bowl of ornaments all in the same color (the red ones are perfect) always looks very classy. Lay some greens out around the bowl. It will look gorgeous and be more of a focal point. I clip evergreens and holly from my yard and put them around my nutcrackers on the piano and then loop some thin garland beads through the green (Craft stores are selling garland for 70% off now !)

I bought a cute red and white tin in Home Goods for three dollars and I fill it with pine branches, a couple holly sprigs and some arborvitae. Then I put a couple sprigs of red wooden berries in it. It's in my front hall with a couple little candles next to it and some greens around the candles.

On my dining room table I put out three small vases that I bought for 3 bucks each in Pier One. I filled them with holly and boxwood and added three white roses to each and some white beads. I use a burgundy tablecloth with a gold runner. (Everything was bought in discount stores for cheap cheap cheap but it looks great together)

luckypenny
December 17th, 2008, 10:45 AM
If I'm being forward then just ignore me.

No no, that was the intention of this thread, to get ideas.

Great idea, and it does sound classier looking :thumbs up. I do have some large glass bowls, I just have to find a runner long enough for our table. Sandman has a "snow day" so I get to stay home form work. I'll take a walk through the woods with the dogs and see what I can find to help in terms of branches and stuff.

Feel free to include pictures of your decorating ideas :).

joeysmama
December 17th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I'll see if I can talk my son into helping me post some pictures. Is that a trifle bowl on the table? That would be perfect for the balls.

This is a great time to get decorations on sale. Do you have Home Goods or TJ Maxx by you? Kohls? They're great for buying runners. I also use old lace runners and doilies my aunt gave me.

Melinda
December 17th, 2008, 11:11 AM
my home is decorated top to bottom, every single room *L* in my sunroom (where Brina and friends rest) is a special tree with antique ornaments, my oldest is 96 yrs old and was made for my grama's first birthday, lead beads (real safe) when I had my chi and cat , I kept plastic ornaments on the last 2 feet of the tree so they could play with them and leave the others alone, I've never had problems with any other pets going near anything, even my 5 daycare children (all under age 3) don't touch, they have a special group of xmas stuff that they are allowed to touch, pick up, play with and leave the rest alone. maybe you could do that with yours? put unbreakables on the bottom of the tree?

by the way, gorgeous dining room!!

kandy
December 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I also put unbreakable ornaments on the bottom of the tree - although my dogs don't steal the ornaments, they knock them off with their tails and send them flying. LOL I did have one instance of having a Christmas decoration swiped this year - I have a small "Clifford" dog with a Santa hat on and he normally sits in a small sleigh next to an animated Mrs. Santa, on the floor. Apparently Hazel spotted Clifford and decided that he must be her new stuffie toy. I was on the computer, and my husband hollered out "Did you give Hazel a new toy?" I answered no, so he went to investigate and found that she had Clifford. He said that he wondered because she was very proud of herself, prancing around and throwing it in the air. LOL So Clifford is sitting on my bar instead of in his sleigh.

Other than Hazel stealing Clifford, I have never had the dogs bother any of my decorations, at least on purpose.

And I agree - Very Nice Dining Room! Looks like the kitchen is great too!

luckypenny
December 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Do you have a table that you could set up a smaller tree on? Then hopefully it will be far enough out of reach to be safe :D.

I do, and a small artificial tree as well. Only problem is my mother accidentally broke the glass top to it when she was visiting a few weeks ago :rolleyes:. I have to get to a 'glass store' and have them cut me a new one.

Is that a trifle bowl on the table?

What's a "trifle bowl?" :o It's just a small crystal cognac type glass that I fill with chocolate (doesn't stay filled long though :laughing:).

This is a great time to get decorations on sale. Do you have Home Goods or TJ Maxx by you? Kohls? They're great for buying runners. I also use old lace runners and doilies my aunt gave me.

I rarely shop for anything but necessities so I don't think I've ever seen any of those stores :o. If I can get up enough courage to go shopping, I'll look for some home decorating places (Winners?). I do recall my mom giving me a large tablecloth but it's off-white or cream if I remember correctly. I'm going to have to unpack a few more boxes I think :D.

Melinda, your place sounds so comfy and festive :cloud9:.

hazelrunpack
December 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I'd have to dig out my ornaments to get pics, LP...but I do have one pic of one that I painted:

I did a lot of wooden ones like this; there are a few made from felt; a few Grams tied for me, I forget what the technique is called :o; and then the regular store-bought glass bulbs... Mom used to use tinsnips and make gorgeous ornaments out of tin can lids, of all things. We used to have so much fun making them! But I don't have any of those...not sure if Dad still has them or if they were tossed :sad:

I like the idea of the glass bowls and the glass bulbs...only my tables are so full of Town stuff I have no place to put them... :frustrated: hazel is soooo not a decorator :o

luckypenny
December 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM
hazel is soooo not a decorator :o

Neither am I but I thought I'd put some effort into it this year.

I love your Santa :cloud9:. Are there any craft/x-mas fairs in your area? If you had time...you know what I'm thinking :D? You could save up for a new bus to come north for the holidays next year.

There was one year we strung popcorn with the boys when they were little. That was fun. It took us forever but we laughed so hard because they kept eating it all when I'd turn my head away from them. Silly kids thought mom didn't know :rolleyes: :lovestruck:.

Ford Girl
December 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM
LP - Dazy alreayd took my winnie the pooh "stuffie" type ornimates off the tree!! LOL! I was in the computer room and she came running in with 2 of them in her mouth like she just found a wonderful surprise for her!! Seriously, she was so proud of "her" new toys! LOL!! Can you put up a gate/x-pen type wall around it?

The first year dazy was with us I bought a 3' tree and put it on a side table, so she couldnt reach it.

Use candles, a few wreaths, wrap your banisters in fake greens, I've made tree shaped structure with wrapped gifts before..etc...

Yes - beautiful dining room.

Dog Dancer
December 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I love Joeysmama's suggestions, but LP, I would put some green garlands through the chandelier and leave the balls hanging. I think it's very pretty. I do like the table runners also, but like you, our table is so darn long I can't find any that fit, and honestly don't have the gumption to make one (at least not in time for Christmas). HRP - love your santa! So many talented people here. Love your dining room LP, I have almost the same chandelier only mine is black. I may even try your hanging ornaments on mine too (with some greenery).

chico2
December 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I love the balls on the lamp,somehowe that did not sound right:laughing:
We have a small tree on a table,but decorate the fireplace and the windows,candles everywhere.
I even decorate the bathroom,love it,the best thing about X-Mas:thumbs up
These are last years pics,but it looks pretty well the same this year.