Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to get rid of/prevent matts?

Bluecatt
December 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Magic has developed a whole lot of matts lately. She generally gets bathed every week to 10 days and I thought that was doing enough and she gets brushed occasionally. I guess we need to step that up to daily?

Is there any other way to get rid of the matts besides cutting them out? Is there any kind of product we can use to loosen them up?

mona_b
December 16th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Just a question. Why are you bathing her so much?

Over bathing ruins the natural oils in their coat,which is not a good thing.

I have a GSD that gets bathed a max of three times a year..And this is a double coated breed..I brush him everyday..I have to,he's a year round shedder....:rolleyes:

What type of coat does she have?

What type of brush do you use?

There is a de-matting brush for dogs.

Bluecatt
December 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
We don't always use shampoo when we bathe her, sometimes it's just to get the mud off her feet, etc. when she has been running around in the backyard. Sometimes she just gets stinky so we like to bathe her then. I didn't realize that we shouldn't bathe her that often but when she's dirty or stinky, we didn't see any other option.

Anyway, she is part shih-tzu, maltese, and bichon frise so her coat is quite curly and thick.

So... the matts...how do we get rid of them?

mona_b
December 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM
They actually have wipes for dogs...Like baby wipes....:D

My mom uses them for her Shih Tzu Tiny...Don't ask.LOL

Well you can use what's called an Untangler.

My mom uses the Steel Comb...You can also use the slicker.

Here is what they look like.

http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/brushes_new.html

Frenchy
December 16th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I agree about the baths , my guys only get 2 per year. In between you can use "dry shampoo" , it's not dry but , you spray the dog with it and towel dry , so it only cleans the fur and not the skin.

I fostered a shih tzu not long ago , it was "my first" :laughing: and I did find he matted real fast so I would brush him everyday. :shrug:

mafiaprincess
December 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Smudge is bathed every 10 days, but I'm trying to put him back in show coat. I don't bath till he's tangle free, bathing tightens matts. I mainly use a poodle comb to untangle with inserting the end spike into matts and slowly loosening them.

TulipRoxy
December 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Magic has developed a whole lot of matts lately. She generally gets bathed every week to 10 days and I thought that was doing enough and she gets brushed occasionally. I guess we need to step that up to daily?

Is there any other way to get rid of the matts besides cutting them out? Is there any kind of product we can use to loosen them up?

A coat type like that needs to be brushed idealy every day, depending on the length of the coat. If you want to keep her longer than an inch it requires some upkeep. What kind of brushes do you have? I work as a groomer and usually reccomend to my clients with dogs with poodly type hair that they use a slicker brush and a metal comb. Start with the brush and hold up the hair brushing down one layer at a time. Then take the comb and do the same thing. A leave in coonditioner can be helpful when combing her out, so as to not break the hair. Make sure you get the armpits, butt area and stomach, as these are areas people tend to forget.

As someone else mentioned don't wash her until you can get a comb through every area of her body. I wouldn't wash her more than once a month as it can strip the natural oils out of the coat and cause skin irritation. Washing her that frequently actually makes her get dirty faster as dirt sticks better to a coat that lacks the natural oils.

If she has lots of matts it may be better to shave her down and start from scratch as removing a lot of matts can be uncomfortable. If she has a couple I would reccomend shaving them out rather than cutting them out. Its very easy to cut the skin if a matt is very tight. If the matts are loose then you can brush them with the slicker and loosen then with your fingers enough to work them out. You can also buy a special dematting comb like this one to help you out. http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=4512 Good Luck!

t.pettet
December 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Prevention is the key to not getting mats in the 1st. place, so only bathe every 2-3 months at most and use an oatmeal based shampoo which won't strip her coat and unless she is combed out from head to toe with a molting comb and comletely mat free then any water touching a mat will tighten and enlarge it.

Bluecatt
December 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks all. I'll check out some new brushes for her (the slicker) and a metal comb and see if I can get them out myself. Then we'll be more diligent about bathing less and brushing every day! :thumbs up

kathryn
December 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
http://www.furminator.com/

That might help. I am probably going to buy one for my kitties... Highly recommended by my coworkers and boss (work at a pet supply store..)

BusterBoo
December 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hi and welcome to the world of mats! I also have a tzu/bichon mix and if I don't brush daily, Buster gets mats in all sorts of places. I take him every 8 weeks for a bath and trim, especially at this time of the year when they are always wet from playing in the snow.

You can purchase some detanglers from pet stores or from your local groomer. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep Magic's coat. Buster is always in a "puppy cut"...it's just easier to maintain and it doesn't matter what the temperature is, he is ok!

so...got pictures?????

Gail P
December 18th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Something else you can do to help prevent mats is to use something like Absorbine Showsheen. I use it on my horses when I show them, it keeps them clean, shiny and the mane and tail detangled. It makes the coat very slick so dirt practically falls right off and burrs/straw/hay etc. is easy to comb out. I've used it on my collie after bathing him to keep him cleaner and I used to know a groomer who regularly used it on her show dogs (lhasas and poodles). If you spray it on the coat after bathing and comb it through you'll find it much easier to groom the next time. I'm not sure if you can buy it at regular pet supply stores, I get mine at tack/feed stores. Any place that carries any kind of Absorbine products could special order it in for you though if they don't have it in stock. Our local drug store carries the Absorbine liniment and our hardware store carries their fly spray.