Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fight or Flight?

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I made an interesting little observation on Sunday morning. I never really thought much about it before, but this particular event made me really see clearly how different each of the gang's personalities are.

I decided I wanted a smoothie Sunday morning so I got out the old blender and put it on the counter.

Vlad, Oksana and Kiska were on the counter, while Maks and Czarina were in the living room.

I knew the noise might freak them out, so instead of starting it off like usual I just decided to use the pulse button and maybe start things slowly.

When I pressed the button 3 things happened:

Maks and Czarina immediately ran upstairs.

Oksana quickly jumped right down the counter and ran into the living room, then stopped at the stairs and looked back into the kitchen.

However, Vlad and Kiska sort of took a step back and stood as if bracing themselves but stayed on the counter. After I turned the machine on fully, Kiska stayed for a few more seconds and jumped down from the counter and went into the living room. Vlad is the only one that stayed and decided the noise needed further investigation.

I've often thought that Vlad has been the alph kitty of the gang. A few times Miguel has come into my apartment to leave something for me or to look at something I needed fixed and he's told me that Vlad is the only one who will stand his ground and hiss at him. Even though he's very friendly to Miguel otherwise, when I'm present.

What happened on Sunday kind of cemented my thoughts on how really unique each of their personalities are. I get the feeling now more than ever Vlad is the head honcho. I've noticed in the past when there's a particularly loud sound outside, in the street, like a fire engine or siren. Vlad will stay and sometimes even run towards the door, when the others are running away from it all. I do know he gets scared at times. He doesn't like being alone. This much I learned when I tried to quarantine him :laughing:, but since he's surrounded by the others he must likely see himself as the one who has to protect them. I thought that was kind of neat.

Have you guys noticed the same with your clans?

JennieV
December 16th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Wow, AG, that was pretty cool observation...And I think it is pretty cool that Vlad thinks of himself as the one to protect the rest.

I dont have as many clan members, but I can tell you that Sparky is ALWAYS issuing a warning bark when he hears the bell or knock. Just one bark, as if to tell me: "mommy, the door!! watch out!" LOL

Max on the other hand, runs away every single time the door bell rings...Hides under the bed for 2 minutes, then comes to investigate.

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Sparky seems to be the head honcho over in your place too.

I think it's unbelievably interesting isn't it? When I see things like this, I always think of people who think animals are stupid or that they don't have any concept of their surroundings.

I tell people who don't have animals or who don't think their animals are that intelligent the things I observe with my gang and they are amazed. I tell them animals are smarter than many give them credit for.

JennieV
December 16th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I agree with you 100%.

The animals are wayyyyy underestimated and discounted for being stupid.

In reality, they are sometimes SMARTER and quicker-witted than us.

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I've met some humans in my life who were way stupid and not at all as smart as my cats. :laughing:

Jim Hall
December 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM
its interesting what frightemns them du is scared of sudden movements and manda isnt

manda is scared of loud noises and du isnt

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Maks was sitting on the back of the couch last night, and when I went to pet him he bolted! I scared the crap out of the poor little guy. Little observations like that are things I need to keep in my head because I have done the same to Vlad, Oksana and Kiska and they don't even move.

bendyfoot
December 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah, it's funny how they all act differently to the same stimuli. Boo and Solomon will bolt and hide at the mere sight of the vaccum cleaner, while Jaida could care less and Gracie and Heidi, being the good little terriers they are, prepare to do battle with the evil noisy sucker-upper.

ancientgirl
December 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
:laughing: The vacuum is generally seen as the all round monster of doom at my place. Although, some will wait longer than others to run away.

JennieV
December 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
LOL Bendy!
well....The vacuum is a vamooooooooosing tool for both my pets.:rolleyes:

Actually, its also a vamoosing tool for DH! Bwahahaha! :laughing: