Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much money would you spend on a sick pet?

moontamara
July 27th, 2004, 05:20 AM
I feel sorry for people who come here looking for help because they can't afford a vet, and then get blasted (and rightly so most of the time) for not seeking a vet's help first. Some people irresponsibly get pets they really can't afford to take care of when trouble arises. When Casey was sick, I spent more money than I care to recall getting him treated, and an average of 1 hour a day for 3 weeks taking him to the vet. It was worth it because he deserved to be taken care of, and he's my little sweetie. But at a certain point if his condition hadn't improved, I probably couldn't have afforded it anymore. Chinacorie also took her puppy to a vet (who turned out to be doing more harm than good) countless times, and probably could afford it only because prices are lower in China. I wonder what I would do if I literally couldn't afford to treat my pet anymore. For those of you who treat your pets as your children, you may not have a limit to how much you would spend. In my case, there must be a limit, but I haven't reached it yet. I sincerely hope I never do!!!

alpha sheltie
July 27th, 2004, 05:26 AM
We just had an unexpected surgury for Kai. We found a bump in his leg and luckily spent less than $1,000 on the total fees for everything.

We don't have a limit. My mom had money left over from the $58,000 she inherited and never told me about :rolleyes:. She also said if needed, she'd get a loan.

chico2
July 27th, 2004, 08:27 AM
There are limits,but not as much about the money,but what I would put my cats through....
In my own experience with cats and serious disease,the outcome is seldom good news,I don't know why that is.
I would not spend thousands of $$$$ on surgery for a senior cat,the stress and pain is often more than they can handle.I regretted very much putting one of my senior cats through surgery,when I should have let him spend his remaining time in peace.
But one thing is certain,I would never,ever leave a cat in obvious distress,without seeking vet-care,no matter how poor we would be,any more than I would let any family member suffer.

sammiec
July 27th, 2004, 08:41 AM
I think I'm with Chico on this one. It's more of an emotional limit than a financial limit. If my pets needed hlep I would never let them suffer. I would be late on rent, no food, pay my bills a little later, borrow from a bank, close friend or a relative - whatever it takes!! BUT if the animal is suffering and the treatments or medications are not helping but only delaying the inevitable, then we would have to make another decision, only in the animal's best interest. I hope that someone would do the same for me, why don't animals deserve the same respect?
Just a GENERAL comment - If someone you loved needed to have a blood transfusion, would $5000 be too much, would you pay for it, let them suffer, or put them down?
So many people feel "oh it's just an animal". They are the same as us, just a little fur - (well, some people have fur too I guess ;) ) IMHO. :D

JKC27
July 27th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Well, I just got a new kitten last Sunday (Jul 18), and have taken him for his first check up, and get medication to give him ($155.00), then had to take him to an after hours animal hospital last Wed ($115.00), then emergency vet visit Sat ($100.00), plus he has to go on Thursday for his first shots, as he had a resp. infection ($???). This little guy is only 9wks old, and cost me tons so far! Not to mention the fact that living on my own, with mortgage, bills, car costs (gas, etc), and food for myself. How much more am I willing to spend, put him through? Who knows. (See my post in the ask the vet section). This is draining on the bank account, as well as the emtional impact of myself, the kitten (Wendel), and my girlfriend and her little girl (5 yrs old).

sammiec
July 27th, 2004, 09:46 AM
You deserve a hug JKC!!! So many people would have just turned their back on this little kitty!!! "Oh, he's only a baby, just put it out of it's misery" :mad: You're a wonderful person!!! This kitty is VERY lucky to have found you!!! :D

LavenderRott
July 27th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Since my senior dog is 10, this question has come up in my house. I love her more then almost anything but there is a limit to how far I am willing to go.

For example, I would not spend thousands of dollars so that she could have 6 more months of "quality" time. I know several people who have exhausted their finances on dogs with cancer. What with chemotherapy, amputation and the whole nine yards, only to have the dog die shortly after. Seems to me that all of that could not have made the dog comfortable and certainly must have stressed out the owner.

I would rather spend the money on cheeseburgers for my dog and time doing the things she enjoys instead of medical treatments and surgeries to recover from.

JKC27
July 27th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks sammiec. Unfortunately we are not out of the woods just yet. I find out more on Thursday.

glasslass
July 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM
There are always ways. When my brother's Akita had surgery, radiation, and chemo, his friends got together and had a barbeque "benefit" for Miko. I made a framed, stained glass panel for a raffle prize and we sold tickets. Friends anonymously dropped $ into a jar. It seemed small, about 30 people or so, but we were flabbergasted when we counted $1400 at the end of the event! The vet let him make payments for the rest.

We long ago arranged to purchase savings bonds from our employers which we set aside for vet bills. We don't tap into it unless it's a dire emergency that we can't swing out of our regular budget.

What does it cost when you go out to dinner and a movie? Look at the whole perspective! 1 evening's entertainment vs 15+ years of love and companionship. Pet ownership isn't an investment. It's a sacrifice of time, love, money, and commitment.

Eventually, we all have to make that ultimate decision, but it should be based on what's in the best interests to the pet, not the pocketbook.

Lucky Rescue
July 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM
:) There are a lot of variables. First of all, I would take any pet of mine to the vet if it was sick, lethargic, bleeding, vomiting a lot, limping, had an abcess or was otherwise in distress or suffering in any way. That is our beef with some posters here - they won't take their pet to the vet AT ALL - not even for a diagnosis.

What I would do next depends on the age and condition of the animal. When my 20 yr old cat went rapidly downhill, I opted NOT to have any kind of invasive tests done on him and did euthanize him.

I know of a supposed "no kill" shelter here who will keep animals alive even if they are suffering incredibly with cancer.

Personally, I would not put any senior animal who has a fatal illness through anything invasive or painful and it has nothing to do with money. But if a healthy young dog (like mine) needed surgery for something like HD, then I would do it no matter the cost.

I know everyone cannot afford 5000$ for surgery, but if you have a pet who is suffering and won't even spend 35$ for an exam, you shouldn't have any pets.

JMO.

BTW, glasslass - great idea about the savings bonds!!

sammiec
July 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Very well put Lass!!! Great work with the raffle! :D :D That's an excellent idea for helping your pets - MUCH better then just complaining about it "It's just a dog, not a human".... :mad: "We have more important priorities then paying a vet bill." :mad: :mad: I think I would MUCH rather have a dog as a friend then a human ANY day!!!!

I agree with your post Lucky!! :D

Cinnabear
July 27th, 2004, 02:47 PM
There would be limits here. Definately taking them to the vet first and see what is wrong. Is it treatable? I don't think I would do a $ 5000 surgery. Yes I would be very sad to say no. I have a 16 yo cat and I would not prolong his life for the sake of ours. He's starting to become senile and if it comes to a point he is extremely sick I could not let him live because how much better would it be for him. He is having a good life so far.

I have kids and their need comes first unfortunately.

lauriem
July 27th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I have to agree with Cinnabear. I'd let my pet die naturally as long as it is not suffering at all. I would pay for pain killers but couldn't pay for a 5000.00$surgery or treatment. I know that this is a pet problem here in Canada and vet visits can become expensive. Many of us have more than 1 pet to add expenses to kids, cars, mortage, bills,,,I hope I never have to make that kind of choice for my dogs.
Laurie

sammiec
July 27th, 2004, 04:51 PM
I agree with you guys as well to an extent. I think that if my dog was to say swallow something and needed emergency surgery to repair her esophogus (sp) and she's only 1 year old. I would do it. If she was 14 and ver sick I would weigh my options.

glasslass
July 27th, 2004, 06:27 PM
This picture was taken of Miko at the benefit. The tattoos on her back were for positioning her correctly during the radiation. Expensive but worth every penny! This dog was indirectly responsible for my brother's life being saved a month before. She went on to live another 5 yrs with good quality of life even though she was in a wheel-cart the last year.

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 06:34 PM
OK!! I just have to say to me if you have the means,there is no price on how much i would spend,i would of spent thousands on training for my dog IF i had the money............................................. ...He was everything to me and if money was the onyl issue and you have it there should be no price on your dogs life.........

moontamara
July 28th, 2004, 03:28 AM
I guess living in Korea gives me a different perspective from some of you. To be honest, I feel actual pangs of guilt when I see people in subway stations begging for money to get them the surgery that will save their lives... It's hard for my Korean husband to accept how much we've spent on Casey already, knowing that money could possible save a human's life. I've told him it's a different thing -- I'm spending that money INSTEAD of having expensive clothes, or eating extravagant food, and I give the same amount of change to the people in the subway as I ever did... But the principle is a little hard to swallow. Some of you may consider people and pets to be equally important, but I was raised to believe that as much as I love my pets, people come first.

Glassglass, you're absolutely right about making sacrifices, and since Casey has gotten sick, I've been cutting corners on absolutely everything money-wise. But I guess it's worse for me right now because I'm not earning money -- I'm studying and my husband is the one topping up my bank account...

Anyway, this isn't a fun thread, but definitely interesting.

Shae
July 29th, 2004, 03:38 AM
There is no limit for me.Luckily, mind you I dont need to worry, working at the animal hospital. I see my animal companions similar to children. They depend on me for care when they are sick,the need me to provide shelter,food,water,love,etc.I would do whatever it takes to get the money for them. Including selling things or getting another job or taking a loan. I totally know what you mean by not affording vet care and unexpected tragedies,etc. I'm the type that would end up bankrupt for her furbabies. Thats just who I am. Now, what you need to do , BEFORE, anything, God forbid happens, is find out if there is a non profit or something in your area that would help cover emergency vet costs. Here, we have a few, thank goodness....and more are needed mind you. There are even places now that will pay partial or full cost for spaying and neutering for low income pet owners...which is AWESOME! So,please make sure you check around and cover all bases ahead of time so you are fully prepared and not caught off guard. Ask at your veterinarians office, Shelters, etc

moontamara
July 29th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Not sure that applies here in Korea, but an excellent point Shae! I believe I heard of that kind of help when I had my cat spayed in Canada, but didn't qualify (which was fair).

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Just remember those Mrs. Fields cookies! :D I want to be a familiar figure with my vet and his staff. I haven't had a financial problem, but you never know what could happen if something really serious came up. Who is prepared for everything? I figure, if I have a good relationship and rapport with my vet, he'll be more willing to try to work with me. Actually, that's a good idea in any situation. Showing a little appreciation and treating other people in a friendly and courteous manner isn't just for vets. :)

Shae
July 29th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Glassglass.........excellent point! This happens to be very very true. New clients since they were not known seldom got any breaks.....however, if you are well known to the office.....this includes the receptionist who DOES have pull with the veterinarian as he asks her take on people in money situations. Go in often.....aside from routine checkups and vaccinations..show your face every now and then and make sure you establish good credit with them................always pay in full (no NSF's)for vaccines,checkups .all the little things, then IF something unexpected occurs,chances are you make get that break. Perhaps in the way of a cost cut or allowed to make payments over months,post dated cheques,etc. TIP...... Thank you cards and Christmas cards are always appreciated by them. This one lady everytime she brought her pet in, no matter what it was for............the simplest of procedures, we'd end up with a card for doctors and staff occassionally along with either flowers,wine or treats. *LOL* She was a sweet lady and the doctors seemed to giver her pref. treatment. And NO, I am not saying to take in flowers etc!!! *L* Just show your "FRIENDLY" face a lot and make sure that the staff gets to know you and your pet.

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I started to post this article under "Newspaper Stories", but then thought maybe this is the proper thread to put it under.

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/3587107/detail.html

sammiec
July 29th, 2004, 12:07 PM
OMG, what would you do then!??! That's an absolutely horrible thing to do to someone, especially an 80 year old man. That's just so sad. :( :mad:

If my dog was dognapped for money, and I ever found out who did it, I can only imagine what I would do.... :mad:

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM
It's a scary thought also that other criminals will see this as an easy way to extort money. We need to be really vigilant in protecting our pets!

bullilover
July 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM
It is so interesting to read this post. Since honestly I do not know how to answer it.
I currently have an 8 week old puppy that is in need of help. In fact he is at the vet right now where they are trying to help him and me come to some decisions about treatment.
The vet feels I need to have a consult with a Pet Neurologist. Now my question is, is how much will this cost...and then if he is treatable how much will that cost and can I really afford this. Or will I spend all this money I am spending in vain????!!!
My heart is telling me I have too, because I chose to give this little guy a REAL chance at life, and to not do it I would be letting him down.
Is he in pain...no, but if he doesn't get better his condition could hurt him in the end.
He is a blind puppy, if you guys have read any of my other posts and he has some serious balance issues, plus a few other things.
He is so very smart, and gets around wonderfully. To whatch him you would never know he was blind at all, but at the same time you would wonder by his movements what is wrongbecause of his lack of balance and co-ordination.
I want to help him get better and so far we are moving quite quickly upwards in dollar signs.
I liked the idea of the BBQ fundraiser and believe me if I do find that he does have a chance I will do all in my power to raise the funds to help him.
But honestly when is enough, enough...I really don't know.

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 01:09 PM
That's a question every pet owner has to face, sooner or later, and one we all dread. There is no pat answer. You have to evaluate all factors. I think the initial cost to find out what you're dealing with is reasonable. Then you have to evaluate what kind of life quality will exist afterwards, and what will the pet have to endure during? No guarantees and so difficult to answer. All the vets can really do is give you an educated guess based on experience and knowledge. You have to search within yourself what you are able and willing to give. No one can fault you if you decide either way after doing your best to do the best for your pet.

maxim1
July 29th, 2004, 02:44 PM
People will find this hard to believe, but I am one of the ones that find my animals are like my kids. But I have been able to distinguish what is necessary and what isn't.
When I found my oldest cat at 3 months of age, I spent over $1000 the first few months I had her with various operations due to a broken leg, going in heat, boils , infections, etc. and don't regret a moment of it. Same with my new kitty. She's already been to the vet to the tune of $100.

But I am a worrier and a panicker and hoped that I would be able to enter the ask the vet (silly me assumed there was a vet there) to reassure me that things are ok because I would be there all the time spending money unneccessarily. I have no hesitations taking any of my animals to the vet when needed.

heidiho
July 29th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I dont find that hard to believe at all,they are like kids,worth all the money in the world IF you have it to spend....

maxim1
July 29th, 2004, 03:57 PM
thats right, if you have it to spend. And that's why I have joined various other forums. I am able to come online to find out if I really have something to worry about or if it's something that is ok. I have found that in my city they will not treat anything over the phone. My kitten last week had diarhea and they made the appointment for two days from then(she was fine, playing and eating and sleeping other than the poopy) I asked them what I could do or serve her in the meantime till the appointment and I was told at all the places I called they couldn't treat anything until they saw her. That's why I got online. I didn't want her to get worse in those two days, but she wasn't sick enough to warrant an $80 visit to the emergency clinic.(I would have if she had a fever, lethargic, throwing up, listless, but she wasn't)

Donna Marie
July 29th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Thankfully I have never had to put a pet down, well, except for a hamster when I was eleven years old (felt like my world was falling apart!).

I have spent almost four hundred on one surgery for my cat Skittles, not including the emergency run to the SPCA hospital, or secondary visit to his Vet's because of a major problem with the surgery. But that was something easily that they can bounce back from....if you are talking about major surgery, like for a broken back, I don't know what I would do. It would depend on what the outcome was....if there was a lifetime of pain and agony, then I think I would choose to let them go.

Catt31
July 29th, 2004, 06:15 PM
When my first cat "Ozzie" got UTI, I was in college, partying up a storm and barely working part time. I really had NO money to pay for his operation, but I quit going out, I got another job, my grades started to drop, but I knew I HAD to get him fixed. He was such a character, so sweet and loving, and it was devastating watching him in so much pain. We did the operation, and all was well for about 6 months or so, then Ozzie started to get more crystals in his ureter (pee tube) and in he went again. The vet wasn't very optimistic and I mulled over the options over and over again. I was a total and complete mess!! My parents weren't well off and I had no where else to turn. I admit now it was a bad decision but at the time, I didn't know what else to do (I was young and not very knowledgeable about rescues and such).

I took him to the SPCA where they said their vet would operate then they would try to find him a home. I left there bawling and didn't stop for about 2 weeks, it was horrible!! The WORST thing I've ever done, and I hardly ever talk about it cuz it still makes me cry! I feel so bad but I can only hope and believe that they found my Ozzie a home and he is happy and healthy!! He would be 11 now!

Every day when I see Spunky I miss him terribly (I got them at the same time) and regret with all my heart and soul the bad decision I made. From that day on, I vowed to do whatever I had to to protect my fur babies. I have a credit card hidden in my freezer that is just for vet emergencies (shhhh don't tell anyone!!) LOL

Thats my cry for the day folks!!! And a story many of you didn't know about me!! I'm sorry if that disappoints you, I know it disappoints me - but I was young and stupid!!! :(

Ozzie is on the left, cuddling with Spunky!! This pic is always on my fridge!!

Cactus Flower
July 29th, 2004, 06:26 PM
If my vet assured me that the quality of life afterwards would be worth it, I would do whatever it takes to pay for vet care. I'd take out a loan against my house if need be. Hand over my college grant money. Whatever it took to save my baby.

I don't believe in prolonging the life of an animal because WE would miss it, when the animal is simply going to continue suffering. I don't like to stereotype, but I've got quite a few senior friends, and I've seen a few ladies spending thousands on their pets to keep them alive because they've had them for so long and can't let go. My friend Verley did this with her aged dog. That dog was having several seizures a day that the vet could no longer control. Had no bladder control. Could not get around to romp or anything. No teeth left- terrible trouble eating. A few times her grandson resuscitated the dog after a seizure when the dog stopped breathing. Verley kept saying "well, she isn't suffering". Well, I've had seizures and let me tell you- that post-seizure headache is horrible! I thought it was time to let the dog go Home, and felt she was unfairly prolonging this dog's suffering.

Cactus Flower
July 29th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Not disappointed at all Catt- I admire your honesty.

(((hugs))))

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Well, this board is for members to share experiences with other members, isn't it? Hopefully we can all learn from other's mistakes so that we don't have to do the same things ourselves. It was my second Den-Den's vet bills that caused me to set up special savings for vet expenses in the future. Unfortunately, some of the most important lessons aren't learned before people get pets, or children for that matter. Doesn't mean we can't learn and improve our performances.

Donna Marie
July 29th, 2004, 06:34 PM
I've got quite a few senior friends, and I've seen a few ladies spending thousands on their pets to keep them alive because they've had them for so long and can't let go. My friend Verley did this with her aged dog. That dog was having several seizures a day that the vet could no longer control. Had no bladder control. Could not get around to romp or anything. No teeth left- terrible trouble eating. A few times her grandson resuscitated the dog after a seizure when the dog stopped breathing. Verley kept saying "well, she isn't suffering". Well, I've had seizures and let me tell you- that post-seizure headache is horrible! I thought it was time to let the dog go Home, and felt she was unfairly prolonging this dog's suffering.

In some instances, a vet will take advantage of an owner's emotions and give them false hope that their pets will be okay, not explaining the suffering the animal will go through. My cat Skittles went through needless surgery when antibiotics would have helped him through his healing.

Cactus Flower
July 29th, 2004, 06:39 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Say it isn't so!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

How awful!!!!!!!!!

Those of you that have worked with vets.......any experience with this?????

Donna Marie
July 29th, 2004, 06:45 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Say it isn't so!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

How awful!!!!!!!!!

Those of you that have worked with vets.......any experience with this?????

One vet told me that his original surgery was not necessary. The one I took him to (my mom's old vet) apparently was having a new partner take over the practice and she decided the surgery was necessary. He had a portion of skin and fir off of his back...they cleaned it, trimmed it and literally stretched it to close the missing wound. I was not given an option to let it heal on its own. The SPCA vet said that it could have just been cleaned and trimmed and left to heal (this was after it 'reopened'). Since then, he has had problems keeping fur back there, he has to have quartizone shots once in a while to stop the itching.

chico2
July 29th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Catt31,I don't think is one person here,who has not made mistakes they regret.I had a dog almost like Sadie,the sweetest little old girl...this is a long time ago,she had arthrities(sp)of the spine and joints,quiet painful.
I had to carry her down the stairs to do her thing,she was on pain medication,not helping much..
Anyway,one day I had do admit,enough is enough and brought her to the vet to be put down.
I too cry,thinking of her,she even wagged her tail seeing the vet,as I was carrying her to her final stage.
I had not told my sons what I was planning on doing.When they came home from school,I still can hear them"Mom,why did you kill Mishka??"
To this day,I wonder,did I do the right thing??

glasslass
July 29th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Chico, you have to ask yourself, would she have recovered from the arthritis and had good quality of life? Arthritis gets more severe as a dog ages. If she was suffering at the time, she would have been suffering more later. I know you always wonder if she could have had a little longer, but if it would have been painful for her? You can't tortue yourself with the "what ifs". You have to believe in your heart that you did the right thing.

chico2
July 29th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Glasslass,you're so sweet.This happened about 30yrs ago,vets were not as equipped as they are today.Now anything to do with pets,is a BIG business as we all know.Some good some not so good.
I know Mishka would never have recovered and she was always in pain,inspite of pain-killers,but still the sweetest gentlest of dogs.
I have lived longer than most of you here,so I have had quiet a few of my animals put down and it's always earthshattering and heartbreaking.
My cats now are only 2,6 and 8 yrs old and they will probably outlive me,since I have reached the big 60 :D

glasslass
July 30th, 2004, 01:43 AM
I'm only 4 years behind you! And I'm not old yet! :p

briTnee
July 30th, 2004, 01:59 AM
weLL wen mi dos taz got heat stroke we had to pay over 3,000$$ so the vet could fix it..i think thet the vets should be asking less fer wut they do because not everone can afford thet kinda money..like here in cape breton there is the kennedy animal hospital nd they dont care muich bout they animals all they want is the money..but the sydney animal hospital loves the animals nd u can really tell because wen taz had heat stroke they stayed with him throught the night...nd wen mi dog itchy got out of his pen and got hit bi a car it was a sunday and the vets usually closed then but we called the vets house number nd she sed she would be there..unfortunetly he had to be humainlY uthinized because of a hurnia..but he lived his life well ..but prices are still very priceY...

briTnee
July 30th, 2004, 02:03 AM
One vet told me that his original surgery was not necessary. The one I took him to (my mom's old vet) apparently was having a new partner take over the practice and she decided the surgery was necessary. He had a portion of skin and fir off of his back...they cleaned it, trimmed it and literally stretched it to close the missing wound. I was not given an option to let it heal on its own. The SPCA vet said that it could have just been cleaned and trimmed and left to heal (this was after it 'reopened'). Since then, he has had problems keeping fur back there, he has to have quartizone shots once in a while to stop the itching.

weL i am sorrY to hear thet but not all vets are like thet like me wen i am older i wasnt to be a vet just because i like to werk woth animals..and wen i do become a vet i will make sure thet mi prices are good and to double cheak everything i sey i hope to be one the best vets there is....

Donna Marie
July 30th, 2004, 03:19 AM
weL i am sorrY to hear thet but not all vets are like thet like me wen i am older i wasnt to be a vet just because i like to werk woth animals..and wen i do become a vet i will make sure thet mi prices are good and to double cheak everything i sey i hope to be one the best vets there is....

I realize they are not all the same....I got a new vet after that and he was WONDERFUL.

Good for you and your ambitions....I am sure you will make a great vet.

SSAC
August 6th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I have had to euthanise a few pets along the way. :( It's a hard thing to do).

When you take in all the unwanted animals, some end up with health issues that can't be fixed. (not even by working at a clinic). You just have to ask yourself..........

1) Am I prolonging their death, rather than their life?
2) What will the quality of life be like? (NOT quantity)
3) Is the cure worse than the disease? (sometimes the only way to find that out is to go ahead with treatment) :confused:
4) regardless of $ Is my pet suffering?

I personally would rather see an animal humanely euthanised, than left to suffer. (I'm sure that everyone would agree to that). :(

Before I worked as a tech, I was an animal cruelty Investigator. Believe me when I say that there's alot of people out there that believe it's okay to allow an animal to "die at home", suffering and in distress. :mad:

It is against the law to "willfully and unnecessarily" allow an animal to suffer and "be in distress". It is punishable under the Criminal Code of Canada #446. However the punishment is lax to say the least! :mad:

Well that's my rant for the day! I deeply sympathise with anyone that has such a hard decision to make.
Mine is coming up again with my 19yr old cat. Although I already know my decision, it's still not easy. It's just a matter of time. :(

JessXx
June 26th, 2005, 09:11 PM
If any of my babies were sick, Id spend as much as I would if my child was sick, which is as much as it'd take.

Prin
June 26th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I read through a page and a half before I realize this thread was old... Always such a current subject.

My deal with myself is based on prognosis. If after spending whatever, the doggy will be 100% or very close to it, then whatever it is will be done. If whatever it is is OUR fault, like bloat sometimes can be, then we will pay (if the doggy will be ok, of course). Cancer? I don't think I could put my dog through chemo. I watched 2 grandmothers go through it just to get a few more months here and there, and I just feel it's not worth it. If the dog is young, under 5, then maybe, but we'd have to cross that bridge if we get to it (knock on wood). I certainly wouldn't do it to an elderly dog.

It's all about quality of life. Enjoyment of life. :)

As for funds, we're always low on cash since I went back to school, but my man has a line of credit that we never touch. It's big enough to cover whatever. :)

Rick C
June 26th, 2005, 11:09 PM
How much would we spend? Whatever is necessary.

A little over a year ago, we found out on one day of the week that a cat named Polly and her five kittens were in trouble in a pet store.

We got them out of there but within a few days, Polly had to have her back feet amputated.

So . . . . for a cat we'd known two days, we were prepared to pay $1,600 for the procedure and followup without batting an eye. We were surprised when Western Veterinary in Calgary kicked in half, basically doing the labour for free, because of the situation. Grateful . . . . but we hadn't asked.

We have two dogs and four cats and before this lot came around we had one dog and three cats, the latter group living long lives together before perishing within four years of each other.

Through the years its safe to say we've spent so many thousands that our veterinarian actually makes house calls if necessary.

Finally, we surprised our "will-planner," a guy with a lot of experience, by writing into our wills financial and veterinary protection for our pets should we pre-decease them to the tune of five figure amounts EACH for the remainder of their natural lives. He hadn't seen that before.

My wife and I have no children so these little four legged critters get the full meal deal most of the time.

Still, in spite of all of the above, we're not people who will pay exorbitant amounts to try and save pets without being sympathetic to the pain they might be in. We'll make the right decision if the time has come and not throw our wallets at trying to make an irretrievable situation better.

There's a balance to be struck.

Polly lost her back feet but has found a home with us, scouting out the garden in this picture.

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1070788_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

pags
June 26th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Well - since this thread got revived... I might as well chime in. ;)

It's definitely something we've been thinking and talking about lately because of and since our experience with Moose. We knew when we agreed to the first $700 worth of tests, transfusions and general emergency care that there was a huge huge looming possibility that our puppy wouldn't make it anyway... But we felt that since we had taken responsibility for this little life it was only right to give him every chance. When it was all said and done the vets' bills came in around $1350. We took out a line of credit.. I can't remember what it's called.. Care Credit? or something like that .. which is accepted by most veterinarians around here so that we could pay over time without being eaten alive by finance charges.

So it's a huge chunk of money for us at this point in our lives.. And we had to seriously ask ourselves if we would or could do it again -- before we adopted Judge. The answer had to be yes. Most definitely for emergency care and diagnosis.. for medication, etc. But of course -- always with the understanding that there is that point when all the money in the world only prolongs the suffering.

I have to agree with Prin too... I don't know if I could do chemo for any of my pets. I personally don't think I would do chemo for myself. I watched my father suffer through chemo for a long time.. and then suffer from the side effects (peripheral neuropathy being one..) .. and ultimately suffer and die from a brain tumor which his doctors point blank stated was very likely a result of his treatment. Buying time at what cost? I suppose that's all a matter of perspective and personal opinion though... And I, too, would just have to make that decision when and if it came to it.

Angeleyes1437
June 27th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I don't agree in keeping pets alive out of our own selfishness, however I would give up everything I had to keep my pup alive as long as he wasn't in pain, suffering. I can't put a price tag on him... to me he is absolutely priceless.

(Not to hijack... when he was about 4 months old two thugs came up to me offering me $10,000 for him. I felt like they were going to try and steal him so I was like "this dog is never, and would never be for sale- I would kill for him" very stern and determined. I guess they figured I would be too much of a hassle and they just backed off a bit while I walked praying I wouldn't have to!)

gruegoo
June 27th, 2005, 12:50 AM
(Not to hijack... when he was about 4 months old two thugs came up to me offering me $10,000 for him.

Ummm is your dog made of solid gold? :)

I mean... if they had $10k in their pockets, why didn't they just go to a breeder and buy a dog? I'm guessing the money was counterfeit or something.

chico2
June 27th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I would do what I have to do,saving my cats lives..probably would not opt for Chemo or anything that traumatizing.
I've watched 3 of my earlier cats(17,18 and 19 yrs old) suffer through a lot of pain and swore I would never again let any cat suffer that way for me to keep them with me,cancer is an ugly painful disease,usually no amount of money can save the animals in most cases and PTS is the kindest thing.
Like Rick,were my cats to have to loose a leg or tail etc...I would not hesitate,animals have an amazing ability to adjust..

Rick C
June 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM
An addition to this thread . . . . a man charters a helicopter to fly his dog to emergency.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/family/4654492/detail.html#

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Stacey1
June 27th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I listen to you talk about your pets, some people even saying they would kill for their pets.
I read another thread eariler that said she was raised in a house that a dog was a loved pet, but was not equal to a human.
I was also raised in this kind of household. We always had pets when I grew up, and I assume they were taken care of because they lived long lives with us. I do know if something HUGE would have come up with one of our animals that would have cost thousands of dollars to fix, it just wouldn't have happened. There was 4 kids in my family and only my dad worked, so there was always things popping up, (cost wise anyway).
I really wish people and animals WERE treated equally, fact is they are not. In some ways animals are treated BETTER then people.

Example - If you have a dog that is really, sick and doesn't have a positive outcome what are your choices?
1, To treat the dog with meds, or anything else needed.
2, To humanly put the dog down.

I don't mean to be negitive or anything but if there was a human that was terminally ill you NOT find them being humanly PUT DOWN.

I can't in all fairness say I would spend everything I have to save a animal, I have a husband and kids needs that would come before ANYTHING.

That's not to say if I had a sick animal I would ignore it, no I would take it to the vet to see if there was anything I could do.

Prin
June 27th, 2005, 10:39 AM
An addition to this thread . . . . a man charters a helicopter to fly his dog to emergency
A guy in my dad's apt complex had an indoor cat who got out once and got hit by a car. He paid $15 000 for a new hip. Needless to say, he loves his kitty. :)

angie79
June 27th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I know some one who spent over 700$ a month on regular vet bills and meds. for about 10 years. the dog was allegic to everything including its own hair, was on antiregection pills so it would not regect its hair.

he had many biopsies done as well

the antiregetion pills eventually distroyed his mussel tissue and the vet said it was irreverable, and the dog was suffering. she then took the dog 3 hours away 2-3thousand dollars (dont know that exact amont) for an MRI. to find out the dog had cancer and was really suffering. and was told to put the dog down. aparently the retriever rescue found she was keeping the dog in this condition (for her own needs) and told her she was cruel and would take the dog away... she kept the dog suffering alive for over a month after being told it was suffering.

just think what 700$/mth over 10 years amonts to that was the minimum spent per month.

Angeleyes1437
June 27th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Ummm is your dog made of solid gold? :)

I mean... if they had $10k in their pockets, why didn't they just go to a breeder and buy a dog? I'm guessing the money was counterfeit or something.

They didn't show me the money, they just said it- I didn't even stop walking. They probably wanted to see how I would react- that's why I felt like they wanted to steal him. They looked VERY out of place in my neighborhood... like they were looking for something bad to do. I mean, did they expect me to consider it? I don't care if Trump offerred me all of his real estate- I would have given the same answer.

gruegoo
June 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Reading this thread... it just hits me how lucky we all are to live in a society where we CAN spend hundreds, if not thousands on our beloved pets. There are literally billions of people in the world who barely make $100 a year (some even less), working every day. I wonder how they would react if they found out we spend more on one vet checkup than they make in an entire year trying to feed their starving children.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have pets or anything, I'm just saying its examples like this that show us how rich our society really is.

Schwinn
June 27th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I know my parents balked when they found out how much we spent on Daisy's knee...the first time! We just got her other knee done, and I think my mom said it best. It's tough to say what you would do until it happens. They say they would just have the dog PTS than spend thousands of dollars. But then, when the decision has to be made, suddenly it isn't that simple. I know when Daisy's first leg went, I was all set to sell my beloved mountain bike to raise the cash for her. Fortunately, it didn't get that far. Otherwise, I might be going by the handle "Schwinnless" instead! :)

Copper'sMom
June 27th, 2005, 01:29 PM
As long as the prognosis for recovery is great, I would do anything it takes to have my babies feeling better. If they are going to suffer, then I would have them PTS. I would probably try a few treatments first, but if there is no improvement I wouldn't let them suffer any longer. Money wouldn't be a concern if there is a good chance of recovery.

kandy
June 27th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I would've spent every last dime I had to keep Lacey alive if she would've had a good quality of life. The vet said that she could try flushing her system (she was in total kidney failure at 18 months) but that it would only keep her alive for about another week and she would be in pain. We could've taken her to California for dialysis treatments - but if I didn't have my job, we wouldn't have had the money for the treatments, and they wouldn't have kept her alive forever, plus she would've been in pain. I also read about a guy who spent $40,000 for a kidney transplant for his dog. After Lacey passed, I read up on this and it's only been tried on a few dogs, most of which have rejected the organ and died anyway. Due to the availability of care, and the prospect of her suffering any more than she already was, we decided to have her pts. :sad: I wouldn't hesitate to spend all the money I had and could get to save my pet if it would allow them a good quality of life, unfortunately in Lacey's case, the money didn't matter - we couldn't save her. If the animal was elderly, you definitely have to look at who you're trying to save - them or you. I agree that if the animal can live a long healthy life after the treatments, etc., then the money wouldn't be an issue for me.

shannon1233A
June 27th, 2005, 07:05 PM
I have to say that my first consideration is Quality of life, the money issue is last. I am lucky in that I have had the same vet clinic for 20 years and they will accept a payment plan if something arises. It has in the past with Shannon, she's nearly 10 now, and had a serious infection and needed surgery a few years back, and our vet gave us the facts, the probable outcome and his question was "this is how much it'll cost, if you want it done, we can work together on a payment plan..I'm not going anywhere, and I don't think you are either". So we went ahead, and he let us pay him over several months. I have made loans in the past to cover vet bills as well and would do so again if necessary. So, as my signature says, my pets are part of my family and just like when I decided to get pregnant (many years ago, lol), I knew the finacial obligations I'd be facing from diapers to college, it was the same when we decided to get our pets, we knew it was for a lifetime obligation with all the good and bad that comes with it, including medical bills.

Karin
June 27th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I have crossed over the $10,000. mark with Ciara and I have no regrets. I would do it all over again too.
I owe her for doing the same with me. I just cannot repay her, I wish I could.

glasslass
June 28th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Neat to see this thread revived. And neat to know there are so many on this forum who truly love their pets and are willing to do what is right for them and not just themselves.

moontamara
June 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM
When I started this thread (almost a year ago :eek: ), my husband hadn't yet fallen for Casey. Now that they have a real bond, it's pretty clear that we'd be able to find the money to take care of any medical bills that ever came up for him.

Also, I'm employed now too ;) .

But it was hard when my husband was on the fence about having a dog. I never would have got him if I'd realized that Koreans think of raising a pet as a short term experience, not a 15-year experience! At first he couldn't get over the fact that we'd be spending so much money on this "hobby" for so many years. I felt I had to justify every single thing I purchased related to Casey. I only told him about 50% of the vet expenses :o and that was still excruciatingly expensive to him.

Fortunately, he now sees Casey as I do -- a very important member of our family! :love:

glasslass
June 28th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Ah Moonie! Great job! Another hubby converted! Now, if we could just influence the world!

Writing4Fun
June 28th, 2005, 09:11 PM
You're right, Schwinn. Until you're there, you really don't know what you'll do. My parents aren't what I'd call "dog people", yet they always dished out the money for our family dogs when push came to shove.

Tamara, nice to see you back on the board. :D

Beaglemom
June 29th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Schwinn I agree 100%. People thought that I was nuts when I got my dog's knee surgery done as well. They said that they would never do it, to give her up. But, they don't know until they go through it. I would spend it again if need be and I never regretted it. I had just got my first real full time job and just finished school. I put everything on my credit card, it took a while to pay off, but I haven't regretted it nor did I ever consider giving her up or having her pts. I have spent 1000s of dollars on her. As long as she has a good quality of life, I will do whatever it takes.

JenSteele
June 29th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I'd sell my house to save my dog. But I don't have children to feed so I can sound pretty noble about it. There is medical insurance for dogs and cats etc.. just like there is for humans. I would suggest that people consider getting that. It doesn't make the cost of helping your poor sick family member prohibative.

I know people who have spent 1000s and 1000s on hip replacements and all sorts of things to keep their four legged adopted kids healthy and happy. A lot of people laugh and say they'd just put the animal down.

That being said, I think bringing an animal into your home should be no different than the decision to have children. Don't adpot a pet if you aren't going to commit to doing everything you can to make your new family member healthy and happy. That's why they call it adpoting - you're that little guy or gal's new parent and you have to take the roll seriously - in my humble opinion - or please don't adpot.

It kills me inside when I hear of people handing their pets back to shelters because they dig too much or they scratch too much, or heaven forbid they ate your favorite pair of shoes, or there's small emmotional problems that can be worked through given time and training. When they're sick or in trouble they need love and commitment and that's what people are vowing to when they adopt.

Not a popular opinion.. but that's my two cents :)

Jen

glasslass
June 29th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Not a popular opinion.. but that's my two cents :)

Jen

Sounds like a pretty popular opinion to me! At least, with members of this forum!

melanie
June 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM
well. sorry for the length buit as usual i have lots to say :eek: ... when i first got charlie i was very very poor, i could house and feed myself but that was it... well one day i met a pup who was in the worst condition, she was staying with junkies... that little pup would have most definatly died within weeks if i did not take her, the entire litter and her mum are all dead now and were within several months of birth.i knew nothing about dogs, and i had little money, but i had a heart and could not walk away from someone in such desperate need..... there was no way they were gunna let me take her, they wanted to keep her as she was the only tan pup, well i want having that so i stole her over the fence (I DONT CONDONE STEALING DOGS but this was a life or death situation). they never even bothered looking for her....

it was hard, no money and a big growing dog, but i thought my best chance was through preventative medicine, i gave her all the vitamins and minerals, hoping to make her healthy and tough. i spoke to every old farmer i knew to get their home remedies for minor things... all yearly shots were paid by my family who would all chuck in and give me a shot for a family birthday gift....and if i had anymoney come in i would save it for a rainy day for her...thank god it never really happened, until i worked, then one accident with her tounge cost me $2000. i would have had trouble wiuth that before, but my family would have sold their houses for her, they love her very much...

i was not a bad person, i was not overly ignorant, i was jsut trying to help and save someone, i could not leave her there, i would not have, i would expect to get real bad karma if i did......it could have been better, or more thought out but often we are in a position beofre we think it through and then have to make the most of a bad situation. i wish it was better, she may have had better hips, but i cant changet he past, jsut help others in that sit.

and 9halfyrs later here she is in a ok state, she is getting bad hips but that is it. and i would enver ever not do what i did, it was the msot important thing i ever did, and i met my true soul mate, my one constant in a big world of variables, i love her (now i want to cry)...so not everyone that is poro with pets are bad, they may jsut be in a tough situation that they have to deal with.....but i do admit if you can come here and ask and say you ahve no money then it is likely you ahve a computer that works and could be pawned for a vet fee....i didnt have a computer or anything but a bag of cloths back then.....

and today i woudl spend anything to give her what she needed.... but now the hips are going bad i dont know how far to take it...i take her to massage and such, but i dont think i would want her taking lots of med that will shorten her life and are not good for her natural system or mind...

we too have reached that point in life where you must make some pretty important choices, i jsut hope i make the right ones. i think if i do everything with her strictly in mincd nad not my own feelings it may help.....

hey glassy, your miko looks alot like my girl its amazing what pretty girls we have had, esp in color and that look in her eyes, i must post a pic soon for you, she is a dream boat too...