Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting Kitten after she had Giardia?

lapachka19
December 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Hello,
I am not sure this is the right place to post but I have some questions regarding Giardia. I recently decided to get a kitten from a breeder and while waiting for some time untill kitten was ready to go to her new home she and all other kittens in the cattery got tested positive for Giardia. The kitten is undergoing a treatment right now. My concern is that I have two healthy cats at home and after doing some research on giardia I became concerned. I am afraid that even after the kitten has been treated and has had another test to confirm that she is negative for giardia after treatment, how do I know for sure that this kitten is compleatly cured and will not infect my two cat? I would like to get some opinions on this please. Should I still get the kitten or find a new breeder and get a different kitten? Please help me out I am so lost :cry:
Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Love4himies
December 16th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Here is a link on the info. Giardia is a very common parasite and is easily eradicated. After bringing your kitten home, you should take her into your vet and have her rechecked to make sure she is clear before introducing the kitten to your cats.

If you are concerned, perhaps you should visit your local shelter and consider saving a life from there instead of a breeder.

http://www.pets.ca/encyclopedia/giardia_cat.htm