Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty Sneezing Lots- HELP

jctweety
July 27th, 2004, 01:40 AM
I have a male neutered cat approaching two years old. He is very healthy and loving. Active, bright eyes and shiny coat. Eats well and plays with his siblings lots. I do know he is FIP positive. (I was devastated, but have come to terms somewhat now.) My question is this: He sneezes a lot and (excuse the needed details) when he sneezes he blows a huge amount of snot out of his nose. It tends to be only one (his left) nostril. He also makes a kind of hacking noise, but they do not seem to happen together. I am wondering about allergies, but it is not seasonal- it is year round. PLEASE HELP ME AND MY BESTEST FRIEND!!! Forever grateful for any input... Jakki and Snape

Angus
July 27th, 2004, 09:46 AM
My cat has been doing the same for a little over a week now. The vet provided me with some antibiotics and though the sneezing (and snot) :eek: is still happening the hacking cough has disappeared and he is a lot better overall. She seemed to think it was a respirtory infection that is apparently going around, especially with outdoor cats! Good luck.

Lucky Rescue
July 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM
FIP? Are you sure you don't mean FIV? FIP is a fatal disease with lots of symptoms.

jctweety
July 27th, 2004, 11:11 AM
No I know what FIV is my in-laws have a cat who tested positive for it. My cat was tested and has Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP.) He can be a carrier and never actually get the disease, but he was a very sick kitten. If he does get the disease he will die within weeks. A thought I can hardly bear. This cat is my kid. I love his siblings, but he is my baby. He and his 2 siblings showed up at my house after their mother abandoned them. They were all in varying stages of health and Snape was the worse off. It took months of antibiotics to get him healthy again and that is when they did the FIP tests. Thanks to anyone who answers this post. It feels good to know there are just people who care and may have ideas. I have taken him to the vet multiple times (they know us all by name!) and antibiotics never make the sneeze go away which is the problem right now. He sleeps on my pillow every night and it is not pleasant to wake up by being sneezed all over. :eek: Plus due to his disease I save antibiotics for extreme cases (runny eyes, labored breath, runny nose) so he doesn't become immune to them. Thanks again to everyone!!

Lucky Rescue
July 27th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Wow. Thanks for taking these kitties in! If your cat is looking good, eating well and seems happy, the sneezes may just be something you'll have to live with.
Some cats with chronic rhino have this happen, and I know it's unpleasant. In fact, I know of cats who have been dumped for this very thing.(snotty sneezes) Maybe you could stop letting him sleep with you. I know I wouldn't want to wake up covered in snot! :eek:

He's a lucky boy to have someone so caring!:) Give him a hug from us.

Got any pictures?

badger
July 27th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Maybe oil of oregano would be worth a try. Where's our oregano expert?

jctweety
July 27th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Maybe oil of oregano would be worth a try. Where's our oregano expert?

I would be very interested in the oregano question. How does this work? I hope the oregano expert helps us out! I do not know how to put a picture in here or I would. Most of my animals are rescues same with my mom. We live on a 5 acre ranch and have gotten quite a petting zoo going between us! This cat is just special. My in-laws refer to him as their grandchild and he loves to ride in the car! :p Sometimes you just get that special animal, you know what I mean? I have been blessed with two Snape and my 1 and a half year old colt! I love them all but there is a connection with them. I can not thank you all enough. I found this site last night and am so happy! I hope one day I can repay the care and concern.

glasslass
July 27th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Luba?????!!!!

MBRA518
July 27th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Sometimes you just get that special animal, you know what I mean? I have been blessed with two Snape and my 1 and a half year old colt! I love them all but there is a connection with them. I can not thank you all enough. I found this site last night and am so happy! I hope one day I can repay the care and concern.

Yup I know what you mean... I have 2 horses... the older, Luc, I consider... that one super special horse, you know that once in a life time horse that horse owners always hope for... then came Tommy and she's a pretty close second to Luc :D And of course My house pets are wonderful as well...

jctweety
July 27th, 2004, 11:24 PM
I do not know what luba means, is it internet slang? Modesto Ca is very very close to my location in good old Lodi! Still no word from the oregano expert. Bummer. Thanks again to all. My special horse is Hoppie (Hoppy) and he is a medicine hat paint with ice blue eyes. He is a very good boy. I have many animals and they all are spoiled. In fact my Hubby complains that Snape gets better treatment then he does!! :p Oh well he will deal. Thanks again everyone!!

Freyja
July 27th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Luba is a member, apparently with knowledge about Oil of Oregano

jctweety
July 27th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I am new to this world and am learning all the lingo. I need all the help I can get! :)

glasslass
July 28th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Hi JC! Yes! Lodi is very close to Modesto! About 45 miles? By calling Luba, Our oregano oil expert, I was trying to keep your thread near the top of the new posts so that when Luba logged on, she'd be likely to see it and come on.
Be patient. She'll come in eventually. I think she's been gone more than usual the last couple days. If she hasn't given info about the oregano by tomorrow morning, I'll try to find the previous thread. She got me excited with it. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to. First, I have to buy the oil of oregano!

Iggette
July 28th, 2004, 06:38 AM
My Min-Min had the same thing (snotty nose, sneezing and green goopy eyes)
the atibiotics worked cleared up the eyes and got the snot under control but she still sneezes and more so in spring summer and fall when she is outside but come winter she seems to clear up :confused:

jctweety
July 28th, 2004, 12:17 PM
The only thing with my Snape is that he is totally healthy (aside from sneezing.) Bright eyes and shiny coat! Just sneezes and snots quite a bit. Snot even looks fairly normal. I can not figure it out. I thought maybe allergies, but I have found online that cats rarely show allergies through sneezing. Allergies are normally by scratching. I am open to any ideas at this point.

glasslass
July 28th, 2004, 10:44 PM
I was trying to find the post about oil of oregano by Luba when I noticed there is another thread titled "Green Mucas Discharge" that was started today. In it Luba has put the link that I was trying to find for you. Please check it out! :)

jctweety
August 1st, 2004, 01:50 AM
Thank you so much! I appreciate you all. :)

Luba
August 1st, 2004, 03:20 PM
Oh I'm sorry I don't read all the posts it's hard to keep up and when it comes to cats I usually let the cat experts handle the questions.

However, I'd be glad to offer any suggestions in the way of oregano oil.

I don't see how it can 'harm' your cat. If there is some form of infection it certainly may help. It's worth a shot and doesn't cost nearly as much as it used to. You can get it here for 20bux a bottle where it used to be three times that two years ago.

I think it works best if taken orally in conjuction with putting it in the air through steam. It's very very strong, it can burn the eyes and mouth on contact. It stings if it's too concentrated. It won't harm, just sting and it is uncomfortable. You can use the w/r humidifier method but stay in there with kitty yourself so you can see if it's really causing any discomfort :D

Cat people can help with what you can mix the oregano with to get kitty to take it orally. Would it be okay to give a cat yogurt/applesauce?

If not maybe you can use fish or wet cat food.

I'd put only two drops into a tablespoon of food (heaping tablespoon) and mix it around thoroughly. Your cat may not want it because the smell is strong, so I'm not sure how to entice your cat to eat it. Dogs dont mind much, they'll gobble it right up so maybe you'll just be lucky on it!

As for the steam, the cat shouldn't be too close to the humidifier/stove if you're gonna boil with water on the stove.

You just need a few drops in a pan of water, doesn't need to be too much water either , enough not to dry out ... I usually use 1/4 full of water then add the oregano oil. You'll see it floating on the top of the water when you put it in.

This isn't a one time cure all, it's something you'll have to practice daily in order for it to work. Orally taken two times a day should be enough for a cat plus one good steaming a day. This is all guess work mind you, I'm only going by experience not expert lol! :D

jctweety
August 2nd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Luba Thank You! :D I really appreciate your advice and will go first thing to the health store tomorrow to get some oregano oil. I really can't thank you enough and if it works I will let you know! Forever grateful....

Luba
August 2nd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Hey, all you can do is try! And if it works then it's wonderful right!
It's something you need to do consistently though, one time treatment won't cut it!

Keep posted on the outcome okay :D

Morgan
August 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM
Hey There, I have been a foster parent for my local shelter for many years now. I have had quite a few cats and litters with upper respiratory infection. This is a highly communicable virus. In my experience, the first symptoms are sneezing, runny nose. Then comes runny eyes, stuffy breathing loss of appetite. Usually the symptoms last 5-7 days. A dose of antibiotics may clear it up however in young kittens it could be fatal. Please keep in mind that if it is URI, the cat could continue to carry and shed the virus to other cats for months after symptoms have cleared up. Your best bet is to call your vet before taking the cat in as URI is very contagious.

jctweety
August 4th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Hello Morgan- I appreciate your concern, but I too take in many abandoned and abused animals. Trust me, my vet knows me on a first name basis. :) I have had Snape in and out of the vet's office all his life and this is not a URI or head cold. He only has an occasional bout of sneezes that produce lots of snot. Bright eyes, shiny coat, tons of energy and a great appetite. This is my baby and I know when he doesn't feel good. He feels fine he just has this one issue. I am going to try Luba's directions and go from there. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for the input! :D

heidiho
August 4th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Hmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

sammiec
August 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Hmmmm!!!!!!!!!!
I second that.

heidiho
August 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Sammiec.. ;) ;) ;)

heidiho
August 4th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Sammiec,i think i missed my true calling as a detective :p :p

munkeedu
November 5th, 2005, 04:04 PM
In the interest of helping our kitties please see the following website on essential oils, which includes Oregano. This is new info to me and it is being echoed on many cat care forums.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=aromatherapyandcats

Also try...
lavendercat.com

I have NCI in either site, just a concerned pet parent. I am learning how to care for my cats too and they are so different from other animals that we have to use caution in any alternative therapies.

:sorry: :pawprint:

munkeedu
November 5th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Here is something we CAN use to help relieve our cats discomfort...

1/2 tsp salt to 1 cup boiling water
Let dissolve and cool
rinse in the nasal passage once every couple of hours to help relieve sinus congestion

Thanks!! :pawprint:

badger
November 5th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Wow, how do you get a cat to sit still for that? I'm a big fan of salt water treatments of all kinds but mine would hit the road if they even suspected such an thing.

chico2
November 5th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Munkeedu,although the original posts was an old one,I thank you for all the info and the site. :thumbs up