Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 month old male cat spraying

frekls
December 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM
is it too late? if i get him neutered will he stop spraying???

14+kitties
December 14th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Possibly, most likely.

frekls
December 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM
possibly or most likely too late? or.....possible he'll stop spraying?

14+kitties
December 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM
See, this is it........ we need more info in order to help. We can't give you much help when you give us 2 small sentences to work with. :shrug:

What is the history? Why would you NOT get him fixed? Is it possible he has an infection? Are there females around? Are there other male cats around and he is marking his territory? See....... lots of questions.

If you can give us some background we may be able to help. In my opinion getting him fixed is the right thing to do. In most cases yes, it will stop the spraying. BUT there is always that possibility. There are also lots of things you can do if the spraying continues after the castration. But like I said, more info is needed please.

kathryn
December 14th, 2008, 11:13 PM
You should just have him fixed regardless. Nothing to loose by getting him fixed and yes he might stop spraying. This is why it's important to spay or neuter your pets at an appropriate time :) Between 2 and 6 months is best for kitties!!

frekls
December 14th, 2008, 11:13 PM
ok....sry...just really frustrated. no other male cats around, one female cat, she was here first....she's 3 years old and spayed. we've been meaning to have him neutered but due to lack of funds, its been put off. Now he's spraying. Everyday its a different room, usually hubby's things. i'm really hoping after we take him, he'll stop :(

14+kitties
December 14th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Yes, I know it's frustrating. Been there - a few times. :rolleyes:
Please take him in regardless and have him fixed. Also have him checked for UTI or other infection which may cause problems.
Have there been any changes in your house lately? New addition, lots of traffic, something as small as furniture being changed around, Christmas tree, anything? That may be setting him off as well.
Where do you live? It is possible one of us may be able to lead you in the direction of a low cost s/n place. They are becoming quite readily available.
Also, when cleaning, use a good enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle. You can get it at just about any good pet store. If you are cleaning with bleach or whatever you may think the smell is gone but he can still smell it. That may lead to more spraying. Get yourself a black light and use it to check spots he has sprayed. If you missed getting it all it will show up with the light.

catlover2
December 14th, 2008, 11:44 PM
At 8 mos, he's like a 16 year old with raging hormones. Get him neutered right away, the sooner the better. You have nothing to gain by leaving him like he is as smell of his urine will only be stronger and really terrible the longer you wait. He may or may not spray after neutering, but at least it won't have as bad a smell.

Love4himies
December 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Unless it is a medical reason, there is very little chance he will stop spraying if you don't neuter him. It is a male's instinct to spray their territory and is as natural as them grooming themselves. Even if you don't see any cats outside, they can smell them and he may spray if any cat comes around their territory, male, female, altered or not.

http://www.pets.ca/encyclopedia/urine_marking_cat.htm

kathryn
December 15th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Everyday its a different room, usually hubby's things. i'm really hoping after we take him, he'll stop :(

hehehe I guess your cat want's to be the alpha male in the house!!! He's teaching your husband who is boss by peeing on his clothes :laughing:

Buy yeah, it's time to get him fixed. Even if it's lack of funds, better get it done ASAP vs trying to wait to save up and in the mean time end up spending X amount of money per week just doing laundry and cleaning the pee up.

Karin
December 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM
At 8 mos, he's like a 16 year old with raging hormones. Get him neutered right away, the sooner the better. You have nothing to gain by leaving him like he is as smell of his urine will only be stronger and really terrible the longer you wait. He may or may not spray after neutering, but at least it won't have as bad a smell.

Totally agree here. Most likely he will still spray since this is a male characteristic, and the hormones are in place. He is already sexually mature enough at this age to breed also.
So neuter asap and keep him indoors because he can still produce litters for a few weeks post op.
I do hope he forgets this male habit once he is neutered but odds are, he wont. The testicles are not the only hormone producing organ.