Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Xmas season - what should I beaware of?

laura3278
December 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I know that I should keep my puppy away from chocolate, holly, mistletoe, & poinsettas. Plus, make sure there is no decorations on the bottom have of the tree. Do any one else have any advice for what I should look out for?

Tundra_Queen
December 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Make sure he can't get at garland. Also if salt is used outside on the sidewalks etc. make sure u wash his paws when he comes in the house to get the salt off. As it will hurt his paws.

I use kitty litter, non clumping, here instead of salt so it doesn't hurt our dog's paws, or bird seed.

Debbie

Etown_Chick
December 15th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Can't speak for all dogs but mine loves to chew tape. I'd say keep that away from him, although it's pretty funny to come home from work and see your doggy covered, head to toe, in tape..hee hee..ya I"m evil.

mummummum
December 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Tinsel was a favourite of my last dog ~ as she lived a long life and did not die as a result of ingesting tinsel a this I won't tell you how I know but, I'm sure you can guess. :eek:

The problem of course is the potential for it's (tinsel) wrapping itself/ binding around a part of the the digestive tract. So thin ribbons would be there in the list of concerns too. I would also make sure your pup doesn't eat any wrapping paper as the dyes may be poisonous. Puppies just like to chew and chomp so make sure yours is doing neither!

Also, as much as they love stuffing, turkey and all those goodies they are usually too rich and will cause tummy issues (sometimes referred to as Cannon-Butt :laughing:).

TeriM
December 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I would basically just recommend not leaving the puppy unattended with the Christmas decorations or tree. If you have to go out make sure he is in a crate or other safe place :).

and don't forget to spoil him rotten :D.

laura3278
December 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
So far, we are doing good with the Xmas tree - she is crated for most of the day. Plus, I have only decorations on the top half of the tree - ribbons and bows. No garland or tinsel. Plus, I have barrack the entrance to the living room off with our coffee table. However, this does not work all the time. She is a jumper and when her ball goes over she has to have it. I been keeping a close eye and playing with her away from that area.

Tks for all the advice.