Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Respiratory question?

TacoGrl
December 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM
When I adopted Mooki from the SPCA way back when, it was November...she came home with a respiratory virus (she gave it to Jaeger and it cost me almost $1000 to make them better :rolleyes:) I have since found out it was going around the SPCA and does every year.

When generally does this virus go around-only Nov or more than once a year? How long does it usually last in places like the SPCA? (in other words, what months should I be cautious about adopting in?)

Could this virus have caused lasting effects to the respiratory system and/or heart? The SPCA wasn't much help at the time and I am just trying to learn about it now to maybe be proactive with my next kitty. Does anyone have experience with it?

Thx.

Etown_Chick
December 15th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Scruff had kennel cough when I broght him home. They have a vaccine for it - he got that too, after. The vet said he's now immune. Your dogs probably are too.
However this question might be better referred to your vet.

Longblades
December 15th, 2008, 07:26 AM
From my own (and friends') similar experience it can happen anytime you bring a lot of animals together into the confined space of a shelter atmosphere. Mine came home with me in May and it cost me many dollars and anxious moments as well. In my case the OSPCA would not honour their health agreement because the ailment took a few days to show up once the cats were released to me. In future I would examine that health care agreement much more closely to see that it allowed a more extended time period. My Vet agreed incidentally, that there is NO time in a shelter guaranteed to be free of circulating virus or whatever.

lasting effects to the respiratory system and/or heart? Not in our case but you should ask your Vet.

Karin
December 15th, 2008, 11:45 PM
As far as lasting effects on the heart, I doubt it.
What kind of virus? Some are acute and are hard to get rid of, you just have to treat as they flare up. Most shelters try their best to keep these problems under control but with their population and limited funds, it can be hard. One sneezing, mucous filled cat that when presented shows no signs is all it takes to tumbled an already overcrowded cat room. By the time symptoms make the announcement, everyone is exposed.
This is another reason why vaccines & schedules are so important, although not 100 percent, it is the best we can do at this point. Shelters, obviously, are hit the hardest.
I had a disabled, acute rhino virus kitty that was the best! I always had her antibiotics on hand should she have an outbreak and we just flowed through it. (The meds were cheap too)
So depending on what kind of virus you are dealing with, please do not let this be a deciding factor, you could be missing out on some great love and wonderful "kitty biscuits".

TacoGrl
December 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Karin...I am not saying I won't adopt from the shelter, I am just wondering if there is a time when this respiratory thing usually goes through the shelters and I will avoid that time. :)

I will ask my vet when I go back to pick up Mooki's ashes, but I thought I would ask here cuz there are some cuties ready for adoption at the shelter right now! :thumbs up