Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crunchie and the mysterious blood...long post sorry

cpietra16
December 13th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I took Crunch to the vets about a year ago with blood in her urine. They assumed it was a UTI and put her on antibiotics. 2 weeks later the blood disappeared. 4 months later it returned:sad: again they gave her more anitbiotics....2 weeks later the blood disappeared. 6 months later it came back:yell: Finally the vet took blood test, an xray which showed nothing but a very small kidney and thiroid problem. Well I figured she is 18 years old and she went from 10 lbs to 5.5 lbs...so that is possible...however it didn't explain the blood in her urine.so the vet thought she probably has cancer and there was nothing to do....so back on the antibiotics....2 weeks later no blood.....3 months later ....:sad:blood....which brings me to the present day.
The new vet took blood and had an ultra sound.... weel now the vetr is stumped because there is no sign of cancer at least not in the bladder but may be in the urethra...anyway he will now do a urine analysis and she again back on meds:yell: Can anyone shed some light on this and has anyone come across a similar situation??? Help

Frenchy
December 13th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you with this but just wanted to say , I'm sorry :sad: and I hope they find what is wrong with her soon. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I can't help either, cpietra...but Crunch is so pretty I just had to comment anyway. :flirt:

:fingerscr that they find out what's going on with her. It's so hard having an ailing pet and not knowing what's ailing them. :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
December 14th, 2008, 07:15 AM
They assumed it was a UTI and put her on antibiotics.

:wall:

Have they ever sent the urine out for a culture and sensitivity? That was the first thing they should have done instead of just randomly prescribing antibiotics. Blood in urine does NOT automatically mean infection. And if it really is a recurring infection, it's important to figure out why she keeps getting them, which could be something kidney or thyroid related (dilute urine = more hospitable environment for bacteria). Have you noticed if she's drinking more than usual?

See if you can get the lab results of her latest blood work and the urinalysis (particularly the urine specific gravity, or "USG"). It would also be a good idea to have a C & S done after she's finished this latest course of antibiotics to see if there is any lingering bacteria. It's possible she needs a longer course or a different antibiotic.

Is she being treated for the thyroid problem?

14+kitties
December 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM
No advice. Just wanted to say she is a pretty old gal. I have my :fingerscr you find out soon what is going on with her. :goodvibes:

chico2
December 14th, 2008, 08:28 AM
CPietra,she is a beautiful old girl,love her sweet face:lovestruck:I have no experience with blood in urine,but I do know HyperT causes weightloss,Rocky went from 17lb's to 12lb's in no time.
On meds,he is now back to his normal weight.
:pray:for the little girl:fingerscr

ancientgirl
December 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I hope they find out what's wrong with Crunch soon instead of, guessing, which it almost looks like what they've been doing. Poor girl.