Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tale of a red-tail...

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Okay, pictures first so that if you just like hawks, you can feast your eyes. Her story will follow for anyone interested in the strange dining habits of hawks...

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 07:37 PM

Diamondsmum
December 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
AWwwwww he looks like a youngin :cloud9:

Winston
December 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
OMG Hazel she is stunning! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I got a call from a neighbor that there was a raptor allowing them to approach close enough for Russ to throw a towel over it and pick it up. So I brought a kitty-carrier and a towel and the camera (of course :D) and went to check it out.

It was a young hawk, probably female from the large size, seemed pretty healthy but didn't snap, didn't squawk, didn't fly much--although when I first got there, she flew about a hundred feet and landed low in a tree. Had no problem gripping the branch.

Russ's theory was that the bird had eaten too much and was too stuffed to fly. Turned out to be right on the money! :D

First year birds often have a rough time of it after Mom stops feeding them. This one just happened upon the neighbors who could supply it with free meals--they butcher their own meat...they did a steer last week, they've been doing deer all season (bow and gun), and they're doing a pig today. They put the offal out for the wildlife...and Ms Hawk here, or "Dove" as I called her because she was so docile :D, found the offal pile. She is literally too stuffed to move.

Just to be sure, I made sure her pupils were normal, handled her wings a bit to make sure they were intact, checked her breathing, checked for wounds...nothing out of the ordinary. I would have checked her keel for fat, but somehow, getting fingers in front of the beak was just a tad intimidating to hazel. :o

Anyway, I hope she catches on to the fact that food isn't always so plentiful. She's gonna need to start chasing bunnies and catching her own soon... :D

Although it kept me from being productive at home this afternoon, I must say it was an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. :cloud9:

Just thought I'd spread the wealth with a few pics...

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
OMG Hazel she is stunning! :thumbs up

She was a beauty, that's for sure! :flirt:

I used to help band hawks when I was in college--well, I'd pay for the gas and they let me come along and hold the birds, anyway. :D Brought back some good memories seeing this one so close up... and believe me, senile ol' hazel cherishes any memories she has left! :laughing:

Diamondsmum
December 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
ohhhh wow hazel ... That is sooo cool. I figured youngin & no "red tail" but wow POOFY on the head. LOL

How big was her wing span do you figure?

& lucky lady getting fed yummy food:highfive:

Winston
December 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hazel that could be such a great experience! I am hoping one of these years I will be able to attend one of the falcon bandings from here in town! She certainly is gorgeous.....What a way to spend the afternoon! Do you ever go out bird watching?

Cindy

luckypenny
December 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Looks like she was modeling for you in the last set of photos :D. What a beautiful creature!

So, have you got her tucked into your sweater yet :cloud9: :rolleyes: :D ?

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
ohhhh wow hazel ... That is sooo cool. I figured youngin & no "red tail" but wow POOFY on the head. LOL

She was a bit uneasy with us being so close--she was ruffled. Normally, the feathers lie flatter and they look sleeker. Well, plus she had a crop full of nummies, so she looks fatter than the norm, too. :D

How big was her wing span do you figure?

Wing span was probably pretty darn close to 4 ft...so what? About 1.25 m?

& lucky lady getting fed yummy food

Yum. Intestines... :eek: :laughing: She looked pretty smug about it till she realized we were gonna make her pose for pics. Then she just got ticked cuz she couldn't fly just then and thwart us. :D

Do you ever go out bird watching?

All spring, almost constantly during the migration; when I have time during the fall migration; during nesting season; and during winter. Otherwise, not much. :laughing: I have my binoculars at hand all the time. :D This spring was a good one--the last few had been so warm that the trees leafed out quickly. I got very good at identifying birds by song. This spring was cold enough so I could actually see what was singing for a change! :thumbs up

Do you go bird watching? I know you watch the falcons. :highfive:

Looks like she was modeling for you in the last set of photos :D. What a beautiful creature!

So, have you got her tucked into your sweater yet ?

Oh, yes--she's a good snuggler. :eek: NOT!! :laughing: But she's very beautiful and if I could snuggle her, I sure would.... :cloud9:

aslan
December 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
omg, i'm sooo jealous she is absolutely beautiful...:lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I was gonna list her as my new foster... :laughing: Although I must say I wouldn't mind having her spend some time here... I'll bet she could handle the Pack pretty well, too. :D

aslan
December 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I was gonna list her as my new foster... :laughing: Although I must say I wouldn't mind having her spend some time here... I'll bet she could handle the Pack pretty well, too. :D

hmmm that might not be a good thing, vet bills might go up, doggie eyes are kinda shiny..

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
hmmm that might not be a good thing, vet bills might go up, doggie eyes are kinda shiny..

:eek:

Okay, so maybe Dove would have to roost out in the kennel building instead of on the back of the couch.... :D I'd settle for that, too! :thumbs up Less guano in the house that way, too. :laughing:

aslan
December 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM
oh meant to say excellent photography too, is that with the kodak?

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
oh meant to say excellent photography too, is that with the kodak?

:thumbs up Yep!

It's much easier to get good shots when you can get within touching distance. :laughing:

14+kitties
December 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Wonderful pics Hazel. Thanks for sharing! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Any time I get such an opportunity, you can bet I'll share! :thumbs up

hazel can't contain herself under such circumstances :o

Frenchy
December 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Wow that is a wicked bird Hazel ! :cloud9:

But do you think it's bad for her that the neighbors are feeding her ? What if she becomes too domesticated ? :sad:

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Won't be a problem. They aren't hand-feeding--she's picking the stuff up on her own. Birds of that age don't imprint on humans anymore.

She let us get that close simply because she stuffed herself so full she literally couldn't take off. :D She wasn't particularly happy with the situation. :fingerscr next time she'll get herself up higher in a tree to avoid them pesky humans... :p

chico2
December 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Hazel,WOW what a great experience,she is absolutely stunning,love her poofy head:lovestruck:
The Hawks are coming back here again every day,but unfortunately I could never get that close.
The excitment never wanes though,whenever I watch one..
Beautiful pics:thumbs up

luvsmallfurries
December 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Wow! What a glorious treat to be able to get so close! And I agree, she was modelling for you - just being a grump about it! What sentient creature doesn't love to be adored!:D

Love4himies
December 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Ohhh what an exciting day you had yesterday, Hazel, I am so envious. :lovestruck: The pics are beautiful.

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hectic day today, though, cuz now I'm trying to get all the stuff done that I didn't do yesterday! :rolleyes:

I don't think she was too thrilled with us being so close--that's part of why her head looks so poofy, chico--she was ruffling her feathers so she looked big and intimidating to us. It didn't, of course, work :D And that made her very grumpy. :laughing:

She was gone this morning--so she must have headed off for a place where the neighbors aren't so nosy. :p

otter
December 14th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hazel, those pictures are so amazing... if it wasn't you posting I might have been a bit leary of some kind of set up :p

What an amazing experience!

Life at Hazel run is never dull :D

I saw a bald eagle up close and personal once (sorry, no camera) it was on a beach, I think the same think had happened now that I read your story, maybe it was too full to fly, it just kept running around (well more like slowly staggering) where there was a whole bunch of dead fish on the beach (broken fishing net we figured). We couldn't figure out what was wrong and weren't going to be as daring as you and come up close to it (they are HUGE!!!!!)
We camped near by and came back to check on it once in a while, by morning, same thing, it was just gone.

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM
It was actually the woman at the White Pines Wildlife Rehabilitation Center that told me about them gorging themselves. I'd seen eagles gorging themselves on dead deer before, but they were still able to fly off the carcass, and it doesn't seem like the smartest thing in the world, stuffing yourself so full you can't escape from danger. :o So I just never thought they'd do such a thing. Russ figured it out pretty quick, though--and had me convinced when I saw the offal pile it had been cleaning up. :D Then June from WPWRC confirmed it...evidently it happens not too infrequently. :shrug: Go figure. :D

otter
December 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Silly birds... a hooman would never do anything like that - but wait, isn't that what we do at thanksgiving :laughing:

I've also heard that osprey will sometimes pick up fish that are too big to carry (in their tallons) and they will drown cause they fall back into the water and don't let go of the fish (they can't release their tallons or something like that :shrug:)

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Oh, wow! I never knew that either...about ospreys, I mean.

And yes, I think that if she had pants on she would have undone the waist button and belched. Just like at Thanksgiving... :o :laughing:

Frenchy
December 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM
:eek:

Okay, so maybe Dove would have to roost out in the kennel building

sheesh , I hope she's gone by the time me and LP get there :laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
You can help clean up the guano! :laughing:

Frenchy
December 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
You can help clean up the guano! :laughing:

I suppose this means bird sh** :laughing: :yuck: