Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got My Priorities Straight

Longblades
December 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Woke the other day feeling headachey and nauseous. Oh, oh, migraine. I imagine there are others like me who find they can (sometimes) get a certain amount done, even with a migraine, before it catches up to them. I had lots of business work to do and lots of Christmas things to get ready. But I also knew the trail by my house had just been groomed and was perfect for a skate ski with the pooch, our first, though he has gone classical with me.

Wheeee, we went for the ski. He was quite surprised to have to run to stay with me. Except on the way back, which is always uphill, whether there is a hill or not. :D It was great, he didn't even have time to get wet and muddy in the ditches. To top it all off the headache disappeared (must not have been a migraine after all) and I felt so great I got tons of stuff done after. Moral of the story, always put the dog first. :D:D

Anybody else cross country ski or snowshoe with their pooch? It's been great here.

sugarcatmom
December 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I loooooove snowshoeing!! My cat, not so much. A cozy warm couch is more his speed. And we just got a big dump of the white stuff yesterday so I'm tempted to go trundle around the local park, except that it's -25 degrees celcius, with a windchill of -36. So couch it is!!!

Glad you had fun.

mummummum
December 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Dog Paddling Adventures has ski-jo'oring (sp?) weekends all winter! http://www.dogpaddlingadventures.com/

Longblades
December 13th, 2008, 06:41 PM
My goodness, is it really you? I confess, I checked to see if an imposter was using your name. mummummum must have been retired, I guess, for use only by you.

WELCOME BACK

Yes, the dogpaddling adventures people are up my way sometimes but I have never run into them. I am so incredibly lucky to be able to step out my door and put the skiis and snowshoes on.

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I sometimes get out on the snow shoes, but I rarely take a dog with me. When the snow gets deep enough for the shoes, the dogs get mired down...and a mired dog around here is wolf bait. :sad: Brier has long legs, though--I'm thinking when we get him a little more responsive to whistle commands, I might be able to take him out.

We can go right out the door and snowshoe, too, Longblades. :cloud9: Leastwise, when there's snow we can. :D I'm hoping for a replay of last winter! :thumbs up The snow just didn't stop!

mollywog
December 13th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Funny you should ask, Molly and I went out snowshoeing today! It was Molly's first time off leash in deep snow, it was so funny to watch... she figured out pretty quick that it was easiest to stick to my trail rather than run through the deep stuff :lightbulb: sorry I didn't take any pics, DH had the camera out ice fishing! At least he brought home dinner! :D
I'm looking forward to doing lots of snowshoeing with Molly this winter... great exercise for both of us! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Oh, ya! They love walking (riding?) on the tails of my shoes when the snow gets really deep! :laughing: Can't tell you how many times I've ended up pitched forward on my face because a dog decided my tails were the place to be :laugh: