Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found a very young dog

rotts4ever
December 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone. I am hopeing to find this young dog's mom and dad. I hope they are looking for him.

My husband is a trucker and was on his way home from Ontario. When he was driving between Woodstock / Saint Leonard New Brunswick he spotted a dog on the highway. This was Saturday Dec 6th / 08. This baby has been injured but we have been getting him medical care. If anyone knows this pup's owners PLEASE tell them to contact me. I would really like to get this baby home. If you know this baby's owners are NOT good pawrents, please contact me so I will do what is best for this sweet boy. :fingerscr

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/bulldaisymom/Drifter/006.jpg

badger
December 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM
What a sweet dog and how kind of your husband to stop for him. You might try posting on these websites:

http://www.canadastrays.com
http://www.flealess.org/lostpets
http://www.rapt-lfpn.org/en/trouvez.html

and any other sites you can find nationally or locally. If the owner isn't found, are you in a position to keep him?

Frenchy
December 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Doesn't mean he is but .... dogs on highways have usually been dump there by their so called "owners".

Thank you and your husband for taking him in ! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
What a cutie! And so very lucky that you and your husband were willing to take him in and take care of him. Good luck in your search! :fingerscr

rotts4ever
December 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks. I have already contacted and posted this lil guy on those sites and many more.

I do rescue / adoptions.
We will keep this doggie until we find his owners or until he is well again. We will then probably adopt him out to a GOOD HOME. We have 2 dogs and a cat now plus I usually have a rescue to adopt out.

He is a sweetheart and I pray he wasn't just dumped.

mollywog
December 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
very young? How old do you think he is? Is he neutered? Was he wearing a collar?
Poor boy, and good for you, for taking him in :angel:

otter
December 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Awe poor pup :grouphug:

Thank you to you and your hubby for taking him in and making sure he has a good future ahead :thumbs up

Is it worth while to contact the police near where he was found... maybe someone in an accident could have lost him. If they were hurt they might not be looking for them but the police might have gotten info from them. :shrug: I'm sure you are doing all you can, you know what you are doing :thumbs up Thanks!

rotts4ever
December 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM
very young? How old do you think he is? Is he neutered? Was he wearing a collar?
Poor boy, and good for you, for taking him in :angel:

He is about 8-12 mths old, not neutered and no collar. No tattoo or chip.

Diamondsmum
December 13th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Aww rotts4ever so wonderful he found your hubby & you too for keeping him :)

Love4himies
December 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
How wonderful of your hubby to take the time to get this sweetie into safety. :grouphug: to you and your hubby.

Mat&Murph
December 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM
He looks like a sweet boy!!! Thank dog your hubby stopped!!!! Good luck in your search> I am praying he wasn't dumped

chico2
December 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
A huge :grouphug:to hubby for saving this pup and you too of course.
Hopefully his owners will be found but chances are slim,some:loser:probably dumped him,more than a :loser:a heartless moron:yell:
I am hoping someone is looking for him,he looks like a really sweet boy,please keep us posted:dog:

14+kitties
December 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for rescuing this little one. He looks almost identical to my Tasha girl I had to put down two years ago :rip:. :sad: I hope he is just lost and was not truly dumped.
Thanks for being this little ones :angel:. Stick around. You sound like the type of person we love on this site! :thumbs up

rotts4ever
December 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM
;) Thank you 14+kitties. I know I am new here but you all seem to be like me. That's a great thing :thumbs up Still no word on my lil new buddy but I am not giving up yet. He is healing good so far. If only he didn't work for the mob. I was sure I paid all my debts to them but I guess there is one outstanding bill. Why else would they send Drifter to keep cutting me off at the knees lol

chico2
December 14th, 2008, 04:42 PM
rotts4ever,you can be sure everyone here are like you,we have lots of rescuers,fosterparents etc...and just people who care,a great Forum.
Drifter(is that his new name?)looks like a very sweet mellow boy,I hope someone is missing him,but if not I know he's in good hands:thumbs up

rotts4ever
December 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Drifter(is that his new name?)looks like a very sweet mellow boy,I hope someone is missing him,but if not I know he's in good hands:thumbs up

Yeah... we had to call him something so like the littlest hobo... we have Drifter.

mellow :laughing::censored::eek: you haven't met him ;) He is FULL of engery and no manners what so ever. He has taking you out at the knees down pat though :)

We know he wants to be a great boy but so far as we can tell, he was never given any training. He was housebroken but that is it. When his injury heals alittle more we can get some training in and believe me... I can't wait :laughing:

chico2
December 14th, 2008, 05:15 PM
rotts4ever,I am supposing you have Rotties,we would love to see some pics,we have a few Rottie-owners here,lov'em:lovestruck:

Frenchy
December 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM
rotts4ever , I can see you would fit here perfectly :thumbs up

good luck with the pup :fingerscr

rotts4ever
December 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM
here is my 2 and a rescue in the middle

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/bulldaisymom/picsfromcamera009-1.jpg

badger
December 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
What a handsome crew!

Frenchy
December 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
They look so shiny ! :lovestruck:

rotts4ever
December 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM
:laughing: yeah... they are fed well. Better then we humans are.:cloud9:

Diamondsmum
December 14th, 2008, 08:48 PM
awww Such beauties:lovestruck:

I like the name "Drifter" :D

Does he and the others get along?

mollywog
December 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
your Rotties are very purty!! :lovestruck:

rotts4ever
December 14th, 2008, 09:46 PM

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/bulldaisymom/Only%20my%20babies/s588561150_261139_43591.jpg
:cry: sadly we lost her 6 yrs ago.

Drifter , Bullet and Daisy get along great. He is good with dogs and cats. He has some dog on dog manners to learn but isn't to bad.

14+kitties
December 14th, 2008, 09:53 PM
You have a very sweet looking group. Sounds like Drifter would fit in quite well with them. Same colouring and all...... :rolleyes: :D No pressure!!
Love the description of taking you out at the knees. My problem is usually a little further down. A whole gaggle of kitties who like to do that!!
Thanks for sharing the pictures. They are CUTE!!

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Aw, such a pretty picture of Bullet and Daisy :flirt: (plus foster :D) Thanks for sharing with us!

:candle: sweet Neely

the gang
December 14th, 2008, 09:58 PM
your husband sounds like a wounderful man!!! i too am married to a trucker, and i know in my heart, if he found a little one he would be comming home bond!!! with the bundle of joy, good job to save a little one!!!! hope some one comes forward or maby nu. 3 stays lol, brenda and the pins

Rottielover
December 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Wow gorgeous dogs, all of them, thank you for saving the littlest hobo, LOL
I used to watch that show.
LOL

By the way, which rescue group are you with?

Chaser
December 14th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Awww....Drifter is adorable. Sounds like he is very lucky to be found by your hubby! And your rotts are just beautiful! :lovestruck: Welcome to the board - you'll fit right in I'm sure! :thumbs up

chico2
December 15th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Rotts4ever,a beautiful crew:lovestruck:thank's!
I see a kitty-carrier in the background,does that mean you have kitties too:cat:

rotts4ever
December 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I am my own rescue but help other rescues when I can. I also do transport ( escape) for pittie types of Ontario. You can see my web site here http://rotts4ever.piczo.com excuse the mess but it is being revamped.

Yes I do have one cat now ( was 4 ) and I also take in strays/ rescues also of cats. I do mostly dogs though. Heck I have had rescue chinchillas / mice/ rats/ birds and even fish.:laughing: It is getting quiet here now though. Thank God... I need it :laughing:

diandpat
December 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Welcome to the board. Thanks too for taking the little guy in. He would certainly not have lasted much longer alone out there :sad:

Drifter is adorable. Hope he continues to heal well and learn good canine manners. :thumbs up

Your two pooches and that rescue are just gorgeous :cloud9:

Your beautiful Neely has a great smile. :angel2:

rotts4ever
December 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
:thumbs upHappy to say.. Drifter is learning manners and is calming down some... this will make whatever time he is with us so much less stressful :laughing:

chico2
December 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Good boy Drifter,you know you are a lucky boy and you must behave:dog:

rotts4ever
December 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
News on Drifter... he got his stitches out yesterday and there is sweeling along with scar tissue. We have to wait until the swelling goes down to know if he needs the surgery. So far no luck on his owners. So I guess when he is cleared from the vet we will have him neutered and then adopt him out. He is soo stressed... you should see him....

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/bulldaisymom/Drifter/004-2.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/bulldaisymom/Drifter/003-3.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/bulldaisymom/Drifter/002-1.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/bulldaisymom/Drifter/001-2.jpg

14+kitties
December 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Oh yes, the boy is stressed!! Poor thing! I don't know how he manages. :rolleyes:

Hope you have a great Christmas rotts4ever! Good luck on finding Drifter a new furever home! And make sure you keep us up to date! With Drifter and ALL of your furbabies!

hazelrunpack
December 24th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Yep...definitely high stress there. :laughing: He looks like he's fitting right in. :cloud9:

Merry Christmas, rotts4ever! And the best of new years!

rotts4ever
December 25th, 2008, 12:12 AM
thank you 14+kitties & hazelrunpack... Merry Christmas to you also.

Yes he is so stressed. His head is hanging over the step of our living room. He is totally in awe of the tree and all the pressies. Needless to say he got his too to unwrap. Boy it was hard to teach him NOT to pee on the tree LMAO.

chico2
December 25th, 2008, 07:51 AM
That poor pup,maybe Santa will help him:laughing:
He already recieved the best present,a nice warm place,with caring people,food and toys,what else could a pup need:dog:
Merry Christmas!

rotts4ever
December 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM
5 Minutes after meeting a friend of my daughters.. you can see he ISN'T friendly lol

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/bulldaisymom/Drifter/001-4.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/bulldaisymom/Drifter/002-2.jpg

Chaser
December 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
What a sweet boy :lovestruck:

badger
December 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
He really is a beautiful boy and way bigger than I first thought. His coat is just beautiful. Lucky guy!

14+kitties
December 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Well, she took "his" chair! What did she expect? :rolleyes: He is a sweetheart. :cloud9:

Love4himies
December 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
What a sweetheart :cloud9: :lovestruck:

rotts4ever
December 27th, 2008, 10:27 PM
he isn't really big. He weighs now 48 lbs. The girl in the pic is tall ( legs) but small in body. He is shorter then a rotty.

chico2
December 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Oh,is he ever sweet,what a wonderful face:lovestruck::lovestruck:
What is going to happen to him now??

hazelrunpack
December 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
He's got a sweet face and a beautiful coat :flirt:

Wish I had room for him! He sure does look like a winner! :cloud9: And he's fitting in so well, give or take a little Christmas tree watering! :laughing:

COCO350
December 28th, 2008, 04:50 PM
What a handsome fellow! where exactly do you live?:)

Frenchy
December 28th, 2008, 05:43 PM
5 Minutes after meeting a friend of my daughters.. you can see he ISN'T friendly lol

He looks extremely aggressive , look at the foam from his mouth ! I don't think you can put him up for adoption , might kill someone :eek:

:laughing: he looks like a sweetheart and he's mighty lucky to have wind up at your home :cloud9:

MommaKat
December 28th, 2008, 06:26 PM
He's so handsome :cloud9: I think his ears are my favorite thing about him :lovestruck:

rotts4ever
December 29th, 2008, 05:32 AM
What a handsome fellow! where exactly do you live?:)

I live just outside of Halifax NS

rotts4ever
December 29th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Oh,is he ever sweet,what a wonderful face:lovestruck::lovestruck:
What is going to happen to him now??

He will go up for adoption. I have 3 more waiting for my home to foster for adoption.

COCO350
December 30th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Halifax!!! wish we weren't so far away...:sad:

rotts4ever
December 30th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Halifax!!! wish we weren't so far away...:sad:

If you are interested, contact me. :)

rotts4ever
December 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
He looks extremely aggressive , look at the foam from his mouth ! I don't think you can put him up for adoption , might kill someone :eek:

:eek: you were not suppose to see that. that was the neighbour he ate just before supper :laughing:

rotts4ever
January 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Drifter is now going to be up for adoption. There is no sign of anyone looking for him. So when the vet clears him on his ear, he will be getting ready to be adopted.

diandpat
January 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thank heavens you found that dog...with the weather you have been having it is frightening to think what could have become of him :angel:

I am sure he will be adopted lickity split! :thumbs up

rotts4ever
June 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM
:) Hi everyone.... sorry been so long. I have been so busy. Work thankfully is slowing down and I go on vacation the end of this month :D

So... here is the scoop on Drifter.

After he had the org surgery on his ear, there was so much swelling they thought he may need reconstructive surgery... well I broke my toe and really couldn't get around good ( winter) so I waited to take Drifter to the vet about surgery.
Well... the time I couldn't get around much gave Drifter the time he needed to heal. He never needed the surgery after all :thumbs up His ear is all better. He is now UTD on all shots / neutered / all bloodwork is clear / licensed ( HRM )/ micro-chipped and spoiled..... AND he goes to his new home tomorrow :goodvibes:

chico2
June 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM
rotts4ever,that is just great news:grouphug:to you and hubby for caring for this beautiful boy:thumbs up

rotts4ever
June 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM
;)thanks.. he was " trying" at times but is a total lovebug. His new home is gonna spoil him even more :cloud9: This is like Christmas eve and Santa comes tomorrow for them. His new mom is a stay at home mom so he will very seldom be alone. He still has separation anxiety so this will be good for him. He has 2 human brothers who are bigger ( high school ) and Drifter has already bonded to the younger one. :D

hazelrunpack
June 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
That's such good news, rotts4ever! :highfive: Sounds like a great placement--and how wonderful that he never needed the surgery on his ear!

:goodvibes: for Drifter!

pbpatti
June 17th, 2009, 11:36 PM
:thumbs up great for Drifter finding his forever home. Thank you and your family for such great care you have given him. The rainbow bridge will welcome you and your famliy with big sloppy kisses and bellys to rub galore. NOT that you will be going there any time soon....it just seemed like the right thing to say. pbp

rotts4ever
June 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
:shrug: sadness here... the family that was suppose to take Drifter tonight... fell through. Seems the this lady's sister has been diagnosed with breast and cervical cancer.

So... back to the adoption board. :fingerscr

babymomma
June 18th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe he is SUPPOSED to stay with you!;)

We need update pictures R4E!!

You did an amazing job witrh him.. He is a lucky lucky boy!

diandpat
June 18th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Oh how heartbreaking for that whole family :sad: What a shock for all of them. Probably just as well as poor Drifter would have been moving in on some very sad energy :sad:

He is such a cutie...I can't imagine it will take too long to find a new perfect forever family for him :goodvibes::goodvibes:

Bless you for all you have already done and taking care of this until the end :thumbs up

chico2
June 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
rotts4ever,sorry to hear that,both for the family and Drifter:sad:

BenMax
June 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I have an idea that may help.

Why not contact a rescue group close by and ask them to take the dog over. Offer to foster until a family is found. They should cover the food expenses and medical if need be. The dog will get maximum exposure and it will take the pressure off you. Also, you can ask the rescue if you can participate in the screening process so you will still maintain a certain amount of control on who this dog is being considered by. This will enable you to have a say since you are the one that knows this dog the best. I do know that most rescues want full control but there are others that will consider sharing this responsibility. Anyways - it's something to consider.

14+kitties
June 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I am so sorry the adoption fell through. :sad: I'm with Babymomma. Maybe it's a sign he belongs with you. Thank you for being his continuing angel. :angel:

rotts4ever
June 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks Ben... I do work with other rescues.... they are all full too. I am not worried. He will find a new home soon.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1344/021be.th.jpg (http://img195.imageshack.us/my.php?image=021be.jpg)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7214/005trp.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=005trp.jpg) http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8482/004ba.th.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/my.php?image=004ba.jpg)

BenMax
June 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Rotts4Ever - where are you located?

BenMax
June 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Sorry I see that you are in Ontario. If you want I can ask a few rescues if they can courtesy post for you. If yes, they will take over the adoption process but you can continue to foster. Let me know if you need help with this option. It is possible that we do not work with the same rescues.

rotts4ever
June 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I am not in Ontario... I am in Nova Scotia. Thanks for your suggestions. I deal with all the rescues here and we are all in the same boat... No biggie. He will stay with me until adopted.

BenMax
June 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I am not in Ontario... I am in Nova Scotia. Thanks for your suggestions. I deal with all the rescues here and we are all in the same boat... No biggie. He will stay with me until adopted.

Ok rotts4ever. I am certain you will find a forever home. You are one in a million!

rotts4ever
June 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I will keep you in mind if I ever need a foster though:thumbs up

Sylvie
June 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Wow, Drifter sure lucked out when your DH picked him up.

Good luck in finding a forever home for him. You are an:angel2: to do all the work for the animals. A big :grouphug: to you.