Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need quick advice-spaying

COCO350
December 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone, I've been going through some threads to search, maybe i lack patience or I'm in a hurry, We had to cancel Charlotte's appointment at the vet last month for the intervention, she's a 7 month old cat, the vet had advised us to proceed before she has her first heat so we had taken an appointment...She's having it now, and I feel so bad for her...her appointment is next week, the vet offered to do it while in her heat!!! My question is, are there any danger to having it done while she has her heat. (by the way, what is exactly the word you use for heat and operation?)

regards,
Corinne

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Are you looking for the word "spay"? :D

A spay is a little trickier (at least in dogs and I believe in cats it's similar) if the animal is in heat because everything gets so vascular then. There is increased risk of bleeding. It usually costs a little more because the vet has to take a few extra precautions.

That being said, many vets do spay animals even if they're in heat.

hazelrunpack
December 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Oh, wait--you used spay in your title....so I guess I don't know what word you're looking for. :o

Did the rest of my reply help any? :shrug: :D

COCO350
December 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Oh, wait--you used spay in your title....so I guess I don't know what word you're looking for. :o

Did the rest of my reply help any? :shrug: :D

Thanks, as much as it hurts me to see Charlotte suffer cause I'm pretty sure she is, I'm going to wait till next thursday and wont take any chances. It's not the extra charge but the complications that might occur.

As for the words, if I understand correctly spay is for cats? and neuter is for dogs? my english vocabulary is limited when it comes to certain terms!

Again, thank you.

Chris21711
December 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks, as much as it hurts me to see Charlotte suffer cause I'm pretty sure she is, I'm going to wait till next thursday and wont take any chances. It's not the extra charge but the complications that might occur.

As for the words, if I understand correctly spay is for cats? and neuter is for dogs? my english vocabulary is limited when it comes to certain terms!

Again, thank you.

English pretty good I would say. Spay = females. Neuter = Males :) If it were me I would wait too.

aslan
December 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM
nope spay is for female and neuter is for male, it's actually neuter for both. castration is for male. i can't remember the big technical term for the proceedure.