Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Opinions on new litter box

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I've seen this litter box at Petco and Target, and I've seen it advertised on some websites. The concept looks interesting. It uses pellet litter and has a tray underneath with an odor absorbing pad. When the cat pees, the liquid goes through the pellets and is aborbed by the pad, and when the cat poops it stays on top with the pellets.

I'm guessing if it uses pellets, you can probably use any kind. I can see where it would be a pretty neat idea. Clean up looks like it might be easier too, although I'd think the pads have to be super odor absorbing.

What do you guys think about this? The only thing I'm thinking though, the pads might wind up being pretty expensive, especially in a multiple cat household.

The Breeze Litter System (http://www.breezeforcats.com/productOverview.html?CMP=BAC-BRZ-Catst-Q4R2&HQS=HomeRoad%20300x250&D=328259&T=4706546)

Stacer
December 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Sounds like an interesting concept. Those pads will only last 3 days for 2 cats, so you'll probablyhave to change the pad daily for your 5.

I wonder what the pellets are made of? Do they absorb any of the urine or are they moisture repellent? And is it necessary to use only their pellets?

Let us know if you try it out.

krdahmer
December 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Looks interesting, but probably expensive for 5 cats with a package of pads only having 4 each, and if those pads are not biodegradable or compostable... very wasteful and un-environmentally friendly.

Love4himies
December 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
For urine, it would be OK, but what if your kitty gets the runs? :yuck:

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Yes, I thought daily changes of the pad as well. I'm going to have to find out how much the pads are and I'll have to have a look at what the pellets are made of. The box/system is about $30 I think at Target. I think it includes the box, pellets and pads, to start with.

I've been eyeing this for a while and thought about getting it after the holidays. I've been also thinking about getting this other system Bionaire odor grabber (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+1926+19159&pcatid=19159), which is a litter box with an air filter. But this is over $100 so trying this Breeze first would be a good idea.

Size is also a factor, mainly because of Vlad. I need a box that will accommodate him comfortably so it's got to be a good large size box.

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Looks interesting, but probably expensive for 5 cats with a package of pads only having 4 each, and if those pads are not biodegradable or compostable... very wasteful and un-environmentally friendly.

Good point. I like the Swheat Scoop because it is biodegradable.

sugarcatmom
December 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't recommend the Breeze. Haven't used it, but there is a similar product called The Smart Box (http://www.felinediabetes.com/SCB/SCBindex.html) that people with diabetic cats have used. The urine collects in a tray underneath instead of a pad so that the owners can then test the urine for glucose/ketones etc. It frequently doesn't go over well with the cats and many start peeing right beside it. The other thing they don't mention is that those pellets need to be washed regularly or they start to smell. And the pads are like throwing diapers in a landfill, so like krdahmer said, not very environmental. Gets a thumbs down from me.

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
SCM, yes I've been thinking about those pads and them not being environmentally friendly.

The pellets don't actually have to be washed, you just replace them. But between buying the pellets and pads on a weekly basis, which is what I'd have to do, it's very costly. Right now I change all the boxes with new litter monthly, and every other week just buy a box and refill/refresh all the boxes.

I suppose if you just have one cat, and don't care about the environment then this might be for you:shrug:

I do however want to look further into that Bionaire box.

kathryn
December 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Don't waste your money on any of those types of litterboxes. they are VERY wasteful and cost you a fortune just to buy the special receptacles.

There is one similar to it, http://www.scoopfree.com/. Yeah, it's a HUGE waste of money and everything to invest in those things. Maybe if you had /one/ cat, those things might be okay. But with multiple cat households they cost a fortune to maintain and you end up throwing out tons of plastic. Plus you have to always buy the special litter for most things, then if the kitties don't like the litter that's not good. And who knows what the litter is made of half the time.

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Oh, that thing looks like the litter maid, which I had when I first got Vlad. It was a huge P.O.S. and it was just Vlad. When I got Oksana it was apparent that this would NOT work with more than one cat.

chico2
December 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
AG,I would not bother,I believe the regular oldfashioned way is the way to go,you are already using good litter,I wish my cats liked it.
You don't want to go and spend lots of $$$ on something the cats might not like and start peeing/pooping on the floor.

MommaKat
December 12th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Have you seen the http://www.omegapaw.com/RollnCleanLrg.html ? I have been eying that one for a while, the large is around $40 at globals I think. People who swear by it told me that you need a really good clumping litter for it to work effectively and each time you roll it you want to top the remaining litter off a little.

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
You don't want to go and spend lots of $$$ on something the cats might not like and start peeing/pooping on the floor.

Chico, that's the last thing I need. It's enough I sometimes come home to clean up barfies or a hairball or two. I do though want to look into the air filter one. Especially for the kitchen.

Have you seen the http://www.omegapaw.com/RollnCleanLrg.html ? I have been eying that one for a while, the large is around $40 at globals I think. People who swear by it told me that you need a really good clumping litter for it to work effectively and each time you roll it you want to top the remaining litter off a little.

I've seen that before, but my problem would be sometimes you have to sort of dig because the stuff gets stuck to the bottom of the box. That won't come off unless you sort of scrape.:shrug:

kathryn
December 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM

My mom found that on the internet before. I can buy it threw my shelter for about 40$. It looked sort of ridiculous though. Is it good for multiple cat homes?

MommaKat
December 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Kathryn:
A friend bought two large ones and she has 3 Cats . They seem to like it because she actually cleans it more (she was terrible at scooping before). I don't have personal experience with one yet but she likes it for hers

Ancient:
Ya that's the only reason why I have not bought one yet. It would be a hassle to take a part to clean all the time . I only brought it up for another choice :cool: .

ancientgirl
December 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
At this point, I think the best way to go is just the old fashioned scooping. :yuck: