Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where did the tapeworms come from?

kathryn
December 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM
My kitties all seem to have tapeworms! It's so disgusting. I know how to identify and treat them. The thing is, where did they come from?

Everyone EXCEPT the 2 kittens and 3 legged Missy were de-wormed with Drontal (praziquantel/pyrantel pamoate) back in June-July-ishhhh. All my indoor cats are treated monthly with Frontline. It is not Frontline Plus because my cats have not had fleas at any point other then about 2+ years ago Socks had them when I first found her. And we treated her with Frontline Plus then. Now it's too expensive to treat with the plus for no reason so they get it measured out of the big spray bottle.

So, Buddy and Three Legged Missy are treated with Revolution (selamectin) which does not treat or kill tapeworms but does everything else. Also, they are the two I am NOT seeing any tapeworm segments coming out of!

So far I've noticed the majority of my cats have the tapeworms crawling out of their butts. Kasey has it most of the time and Mr Kitten has it often too.

So I'm just curious...where are the tapeworms coming from? Buddy is the most obvious one to have tapeworms since he goes outside and kills things, but tapeworms are not transmitted threw common litter box use, correct?

Even my vet was stumped. It wouldn't be from me feeding them any raw foods right? I freeze mostly everything first.

Anyone have any ideas? I ordered more Drontal threw my vet but I dunno, I'm annoyed by the situation.

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Do they go out at all, kathryn? Rabbit raisins are the usual culprits here... :rolleyes: The dogs find them irresistible. :o

catlover2
December 11th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Buddy's likely picking up the tapeworms from eating mice, and the other indoor cats are picking them up from him. Just because you haven't seen them on Buddy doesn't mean he doesn't have them. If a tapeworm segment gets stuck on his hair and he licks it off or if it drops off and other kittens gets it stuck on their fur and then lick it off, then they will get tapeworms. It's a vicious cycle. Get some specific tapeworm medication from your vet to do them all. As long as Buddy goes outdoors and eats mice or whatever he'll get tapeworms. Sorry, but that's what happens. Another good reason to have cats indoors.

clm
December 11th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I have to deworm our big indoor/outdoor cat every 3 or 4 months for tapeworms. It's the stuff he kills and eats he gets them from I'm sure. The pills are easy enough to give him and they do the job wonderfully. I honestly don't pay that much attention to their cost either, so they can't be very expensive. My vet usually fills a prescription to last me for a year. He's a big cat so he gets 2 and a half pills at a time.

Cindy

Karin
December 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Always deworm your cats every year (or twice) wether you think they need it or not.
Rule of the south here. It's amazing how quick an unwelcome critter can show up, fleas are our major culprit. And moles. It is a two host cycle so it's easy to end.

rhartjr
December 12th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Even though your cats are being treated with topicals, your outside cat is probably picking up infected fleas and bringing them in to share with the other cats. The cats swallow one of those fleas while grooming and boom, now the cat has a tapeworm.

Love4himies
December 12th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Fleas are the most common culprit with my fosters.

kathryn
December 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Ughhh stupid Buddy.

None of my other kitties go out. Three Legged Missy lives outside permanently but she does not kill things.

Is there a tape worm preventative I can give Buddy? I wish he would stop running out the door to begin with. :mad: Oh, his new thing is he found out about the front door now. So he's been running out that. But at the same time I'll be opening the front door to get the mail or something and all of a sudden he pops out of nowhere and runs into the house :o It's rather cute.

I've dewormed all my indoor cats with pyrantel recently so that's another reason i knew it was tapeworms was because what else would it be? I just dewormed them for roundworms.

clm
December 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Any cat with exposure to outdoor animals or spends time outdoors can come in contact with fleas or eat animals with tapeworms. There is no preventative other than keeping the animals indoors with no exposure to fleas at all. It's nothing to get the pills to do the deworming for tapeworms yourself a few times a year or as you notice the segments.

Cindy

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM
It is not neccessarily "stupid Buddy". You could also be bringing fleas in on your clothing. It's funny people don't think about that and yet, it happens all the time. People wonder where the fleas come from when they don't have pets. :shrug:

Frenchy
December 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Any cat with exposure to outdoor animals or spends time outdoors can come in contact with fleas or eat animals with tapeworms. y

Mostly mice ... that's why I "like" them so much :rolleyes:

erykah1310
December 13th, 2008, 09:14 AM
We have a full blown tape worm outbreak here too right now. Its frustrating but as long as you catch it and treat, no worries.
Its impossible to stop them from getting tape worms, especially with an indoor outdoor pet.
Here its our wild cat who comes in from time to time when he feels like it, and the dogs bringing things in.
Can't help it, just treat it.

Gross parasites those worms are!

kathryn
December 13th, 2008, 09:21 AM
It is not neccessarily "stupid Buddy". You could also be bringing fleas in on your clothing. It's funny people don't think about that and yet, it happens all the time. People wonder where the fleas come from when they don't have pets. :shrug:

Really?

It's cold enough here that the bugs outside should have died off. We've had a few frosts and some snow. I am keeping the revolution on buddy anyways.

I haven't seen any fleas in my house either.

It's just strange...

erykah1310
December 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Ever see snow fleas?
We see them all the time icefishing, they hop around the holes in groups of a million I swear... not sure if they are like normal fleas or not.

Frenchy
December 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
There's just no escape from these things ! My cats are strictly indoors. But I do live in an old house and I have fields all around. Mice get in once in a while and the cats get them (thank dog !) and also get the fleas and worms who come with the mouse :frustrated:

erykah1310
December 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Wonder if they can get worms from houseflies?
Our house is antiquated so there are colonies of houseflies in it, the cats eat alot of them...