Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopted Mom Questions

Britt Desnoyers
December 11th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I have recently adopted a tuxedo kitten she is going onto 14 weeks still eating dry kitten food, going through 2 bowls of water a day (the bowl is pretty small)

Recently it just seems like she SOOO hungry I feed her 2 tablespoons once in the morning once before bed, before she would never finish what I gave her so I've been adding little by little bit more but it never seems enough. What is the proper amount I should be feeding her to keep her satisfied till dinner (keeping in mind I have a HUGE thing agaisnt fat cats) my boyfriends has a saggy belly and its SOOO lazy and boring.

Lumi is VERY active and loves to run up and down up and down the stairs.

Can anyone help me out on this delema

mona_b
December 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM
With the water,just get a bigger metal bowl instead of using a small one and having to refill it twice...;)

To me 2 tablespoons isn't enough..When my cats were kittens I actually put in a bit more then a handfull in the bowl...At 8,4 1/2 and 5,the dry is left out to free feed..And NONE are fat.;)..I also give canned.My deaf boy Casper(born deaf) has had a very sensitive tummy since a kitten,so he will only eat the dry,and he's does drink a good amount of wate.As soon as he has the wet,he pukes it right back up.Winnie and Phoenix get about a tsp of the canned in the AM and PM..They get that amount cause that's all they eat.Anymore and it just sits there and gets thrown out.So this amount is good for them.Plus if they get the munchies,they have the dry.:)

Just wanted to add,they get more dry left out..I also have one of the dry food dispencers.So I just fill it up.

kathryn
December 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM
That's not that much food. Kittens are allowed to be piggies. Why just dry? I really prefer wet food for my foster kittens. I usually mix some wet with the dry as well.

clm
December 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Kittens are little piggies, and they eat more as they go through growth spurts. Wet is far better than dry food wise and cats drink a lot more water than people think.
I leave dry out for mine to munch on during the day, but they get canned morning and night. My mom has a kitten right now whose about 6 months old and he's eating like crazy. He's so active and growing like a bad weed.

Cindy

chico2
December 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Britt,I don't think there ia any danger of a kitten getting fat,they just have too much energy,I too suggest good quality wet for a kitten.
When my Vinnie was a baby,I fed him small portions about 4 times/day:cat:

Love4himies
December 12th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Kittens should be fed 3-4 times a day and should be fed as much as they want. It sounds like you are not feeding your kittens nearly enough. If your kitten is kept hungry now it will lead your kitten to glutton down her food as she gets older. Do not worry about limiting food until the cat has finished growing at about a year old.

If you are worried about obesity, do not feed your cat kibble, only canned food that is very low in carbs and high in protein or a raw diet. Nature's Variety, Instinct canned or their prepared raw medallions, Wellness, grain free canned, Organics by Nature are three very good quality canned food. Plus kibble leads to chronic dehydration in cats.

http://www.catinfo.org/

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM
You have been given great info as far as feeding. She needs lots of food, lots of water, very little dry if any. If you are not feeding a good quality dry then the answer is no dry at all. A good quality dry is something with no grains/corn in it. Nature's Variety, Taste of the Wild, etc. She also needs a good quality kitten food. Not Meow Mix.

Her body is growing at an amazing rate at this time. It will be for the first year and more of her life. At this point if she wants two cans of food a day give it to her. If she is being fed a good quality food she won't want two cans. She will slow down her eating around 7 or 8 months on her own.

You may have a "HUGE thing agaisnt fat cats". She has the instinct for survival. She NEEDS FOOD. Please don't base what you feed her on what humans eat to stay at starvation size (sizes 0/1). You can't. She is a cat, not human.

Britt Desnoyers
December 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
That's not that much food. Kittens are allowed to be piggies. Why just dry? I really prefer wet food for my foster kittens. I usually mix some wet with the dry as well.

she doesn't like wet food

Britt Desnoyers
December 12th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!!
I am going to try out a few and let you know the end results!!

Thankyou soo much as this is My first very own pet I want to do this right and offer the best home for her

dogcatharmony
December 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I have recently adopted a tuxedo kitten she is going onto 14 weeks still eating dry kitten food, going through 2 bowls of water a day (the bowl is pretty small)

Recently it just seems like she SOOO hungry I feed her 2 tablespoons once in the morning once before bed,

Just curious, why would you feed two tablespoons of dry?? Are you measuring a flat two tablespoons or a heaping two tablespoons?? Two tablespoons of wet is a small amount. And if you read the box/or bag of dry food it measures in cups (or half cups). Like others have said kittens are piggies....they are growing, and they grow fast. Limiting food in the kitten stage is not the brightest idea.

Has your kitten been to a vet? Did you discuss her appetite with him? Did you tell him/her you were feeding 2 tablespoons twice a day of what ever type of food? Has your kitten been dewormed (by a vet prescribing meds, not over the counter meds)?

Also I noticed you said 14 weeks and still eating kitten food....depending on what quality of food you are feeding, your kitten will be on kitten food for quite awhile yet.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I can't see how anyone would think four tablespoons a day of food would be good for ANY growing baby.

Chris21711
December 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Please take notice of the information provided you by the other members. On four tablespoons of food per day, you will end up with a sick malnourished kitty.

Britt Desnoyers
December 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Just curious, why would you feed two tablespoons of dry?? Are you measuring a flat two tablespoons or a heaping two tablespoons?? Two tablespoons of wet is a small amount. And if you read the box/or bag of dry food it measures in cups (or half cups). Like others have said kittens are piggies....they are growing, and they grow fast. Limiting food in the kitten stage is not the brightest idea.

Has your kitten been to a vet? Did you discuss her appetite with him? Did you tell him/her you were feeding 2 tablespoons twice a day of what ever type of food? Has your kitten been dewormed (by a vet prescribing meds, not over the counter meds)?

Also I noticed you said 14 weeks and still eating kitten food....depending on what quality of food you are feeding, your kitten will be on kitten food for quite awhile yet.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I can't see how anyone would think four tablespoons a day of food would be good for ANY growing baby.

And as I stated before if you can't read, I am trying all the suggestions...
she wont eat adult food I dont know why but she chooses her kitten food over it anyday. and as I stated before, the food I put out for her she never finishes so I put as much as she'll eat then feed her for lunch and dinner.

and DUH im taking her to the vets she has a follow up appointment in a week as soon as I get her shot dates back.

and yes its HEAPING tablespoons, to the point I have to pick it off the floor.

14+kitties
December 13th, 2008, 07:28 AM
And as I stated before if you can't read, I am trying all the suggestions...
she wont eat adult food I dont know why but she chooses her kitten food over it anyday. and as I stated before, the food I put out for her she never finishes so I put as much as she'll eat then feed her for lunch and dinner.

and DUH im taking her to the vets she has a follow up appointment in a week as soon as I get her shot dates back.

and yes its HEAPING tablespoons, to the point I have to pick it off the floor.

Please try to be a little nicer to our long time members. You came here to ask questions. DCH has had a ton more experience than you have. She doesn't need your "if you can't read" and "DUH" comment. If you go back and properly read what she wrote she stated......"your kitten will be on kitten food for quite awhile yet." She was encouraging you to leave your kitten on the proper food for her age. :shrug: Not telling you to change her to cat food.

I suppose what has us scratching our heads at your post is the "2 tablespoons once in the morning once before bed". Most people do not measure their dry cat food by the tablespoons. That is akin to starving your kitten. Also - 2 heaping tablespoons - umm, ok. :shrug: I suppose we thought you were talking wet cat food.

I have never ever seen a kitten that young turn down canned cat food. In fact, I have never ever seen a cat turn down wet when offered.

Also in your first post in this thread you stated you fed her "once in the morning once before bed" and now you are stating "food I put out for her she never finishes so I put as much as she'll eat then feed her for lunch and dinner" I am just totally confused. :confused:

So, let's start again..........

Please get your kitten on a good canned food. If you try gradually to switch her from dry to canned it will work! Love4Himies gave you some excellent food choices. "Nature's Variety, Instinct canned or their prepared raw medallions, Wellness, grain free canned, Organics by Nature are three very good quality canned food. Plus kibble leads to chronic dehydration in cats."
You want info and if you ask the right questions all the time instead of changing the info part way through we are more than wiling to help you. We want a healthy, happy kitten too. :thumbs up

Love4himies
December 13th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Very well said 14+ and completely agree, I have never seen a kitten refuse canned food either.

If you really want the best for your kitty, then I highly recommend a high quality canned and to be fed at least three times per day, four is better until the kitty is 6 months old, then three times until your kitty stops growing.

I would feed my foster kittens about the equivalent of one mouse four times per day of raw. On work days, they would get a double feeding in the morning to keep them going.

Britt Desnoyers
December 13th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Please try to be a little nicer to our long time members. You came here to ask questions. DCH has had a ton more experience than you have. She doesn't need your "if you can't read" and "DUH" comment. If you go back and properly read what she wrote she stated......"your kitten will be on kitten food for quite awhile yet." She was encouraging you to leave your kitten on the proper food for her age. :shrug: Not telling you to change her to cat food.

I suppose what has us scratching our heads at your post is the "2 tablespoons once in the morning once before bed". Most people do not measure their dry cat food by the tablespoons. That is akin to starving your kitten. Also - 2 heaping tablespoons - umm, ok. :shrug: I suppose we thought you were talking wet cat food.

I have never ever seen a kitten that young turn down canned cat food. In fact, I have never ever seen a cat turn down wet when offered.

Also in your first post in this thread you stated you fed her "once in the morning once before bed" and now you are stating "food I put out for her she never finishes so I put as much as she'll eat then feed her for lunch and dinner" I am just totally confused. :confused:

So, let's start again..........

Please get your kitten on a good canned food. If you try gradually to switch her from dry to canned it will work! Love4Himies gave you some excellent food choices. "Nature's Variety, Instinct canned or their prepared raw medallions, Wellness, grain free canned, Organics by Nature are three very good quality canned food. Plus kibble leads to chronic dehydration in cats."
You want info and if you ask the right questions all the time instead of changing the info part way through we are more than wiling to help you. We want a healthy, happy kitten too. :thumbs up

Omg, as I said 2 times already I've been trying different suggestions of what people have offered. I've tried to give her bit by bit canned food (she'd take one bite and that was it), but as her foster mom told me when I asked her about it "she'll get gas no matter what you give her." and the turn out was...ONE SMELLY KITTY!! oh my, I've tried whiska's pouches (bites), raw medallions (keeping in mind I'm looking for corn free food) shes getting diarreah from whatever I give her. I called the vet she said her stomach just might not agree with wet food and said "if things arn't working with wet food to just keep her on dry food for now and try again when shes a bit older, she might just be a very picky eater" And not to mention after giving her wet food everytime I noticed she was WIRED, holy cow. She would run laps in my room allllllllll night long, farting along the way, I had to open windows it was so bad.

I always leave some of the other dry cats food (nature something, my mom buys it for our other cat) out to see if she'll try it, I guess I just have to stick to that. The vet said in regards to the chronic dehydration ALWAYS make sure you leave a very large bowl of water out in case you go out she'll always have enough (if shes choosing dry food). Which in the end I bought her on of those fountains that constantly filters the water and keeps it a bit cold comes with a pretty big jug of water which I find to convientent, obviously you have to replace the water every few days. Thats like leaving a water bottle already opened then picking up a few days later and drinking out of it, ew gross!

I've been giving her 3 and a half scoops in the morning 2 in the afternoon then 3 and a half at dinner. I don't want to encourage grazing so I always give her enough that she might have just a bit left over. Ontop of leash training her she has treats during the day as well.

So I'll try this for a week and see how it goes.

Love4himies
December 13th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Whiskas is a very poor quality food, maybe that is why your kitty won't eat it. :yuck:

Now is the time to get your cat on quality food, much easier when they are kittens.

I have found with the foster kittens I have had who were born outside with a momma who was hunting to feed them would not touch kibble at first (Orijen). One litter wouldn't even eat quality canned, only raw.

Once my fosters go up for adoption, they are fed only kibble (Orijen) (except the bit of raw I bring them daily) and I notice they are not nearly as active. I think it is because they are chroncially dehydrated and are no longer getting the quality protein that raw offers.

Puddles used to eat a poor quality kibble and I changed her food to quality canned (Wellness grain free and Natures Variety Instinct). At 12 years old, she changed both physically and mentally to a young adult from a kitty that looked to be on her death bed. She vomited often, her fur was thinning and greasy.

Britt Desnoyers
December 13th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Whiskas is a very poor quality food, maybe that is why your kitty won't eat it. :yuck:

Now is the time to get your cat on quality food, much easier when they are kittens.

I have found with the foster kittens I have had who were born outside with a momma who was hunting to feed them would not touch kibble at first (Orijen). One litter wouldn't even eat quality canned, only raw.

Once my fosters go up for adoption, they are fed only kibble (Orijen) (except the bit of raw I bring them daily) and I notice they are not nearly as active. I think it is because they are chroncially dehydrated and are no longer getting the quality protein that raw offers.

Puddles used to eat a poor quality kibble and I changed her food to quality canned (Wellness grain free and Natures Variety Instinct). At 12 years old, she changed both physically and mentally to a young adult from a kitty that looked to be on her death bed. She vomited often, her fur was thinning and greasy.

I didn't just use whiska's mom bought a can of different things to see if she would eat it, she'd take the smallest bite (thats if she actually ate it) doesn't mean she always ate it, I can't get her started on canned food if she refuses it all

14+kitties
December 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Omg, as I said 2 times already I've been trying different suggestions of what people have offered. I've tried to give her bit by bit canned food (she'd take one bite and that was it), but as her foster mom told me when I asked her about it "she'll get gas no matter what you give her." and the turn out was...ONE SMELLY KITTY!! oh my, I've tried whiska's pouches (bites), raw medallions (keeping in mind I'm looking for corn free food) shes getting diarreah from whatever I give her. I called the vet she said her stomach just might not agree with wet food and said "if things arn't working with wet food to just keep her on dry food for now and try again when shes a bit older, she might just be a very picky eater" And not to mention after giving her wet food everytime I noticed she was WIRED, holy cow. She would run laps in my room allllllllll night long, farting along the way, I had to open windows it was so bad.

I always leave some of the other dry cats food (nature something, my mom buys it for our other cat) out to see if she'll try it, I guess I just have to stick to that. The vet said in regards to the chronic dehydration ALWAYS make sure you leave a very large bowl of water out in case you go out she'll always have enough (if shes choosing dry food). Which in the end I bought her on of those fountains that constantly filters the water and keeps it a bit cold comes with a pretty big jug of water which I find to convientent, obviously you have to replace the water every few days. Thats like leaving a water bottle already opened then picking up a few days later and drinking out of it, ew gross!

I've been giving her 3 and a half scoops in the morning 2 in the afternoon then 3 and a half at dinner. I don't want to encourage grazing so I always give her enough that she might have just a bit left over. Ontop of leash training her she has treats during the day as well.

So I'll try this for a week and see how it goes.

DUH!! Guess you have to repeat stuff more than once to us. We're pretty dense it seems. :wall:
Now stop being so rude. Do you want help? I am sorry if some of our information is repeated. Yes, it tends to happen. There are a lot of very knowledgable people on this board who know quite a bit about feeding their pets because they have done their research. How about you cut us some slack?
So........ did you get the kitten from the shelter you originally stated you got her from or from a foster? See...... this is why people are having issues with your statements. We don't know what is going on. :shrug:

As I have stated before... we only have your kittens' best interest at heart.

Now, one more time...................

Yes, canned cat food will give the kitten gas. As will any type of food until the kitten has gotten used to it. It's like when we have a change in our diets. Same thing happens. :shrug: You can not try a food for a week and decide it is no good. It takes longer than that for a cat to adjust to a new food.
And yes, after giving her wet food she will be "WILD", run around and have more energy. She is a kitten. They are supposed to have a lot of energy. She has had some good food in her belly and feels like running around.
You say you went from Whiskas (crap) to raw (good) to dry???????? I just don't know what is happening to this poor kitty. No wonder she has farts. I would too. And all of this is the space of what? A week? When was it you first came to us for info on this? Not long ago. And you haven't had the kitten for that long. I think you said it was Nov 2 you got her from the shelter/foster?
It is also possible that when you have tried her on different foods she simply is not hungry. Leave it there for her to try later. She would probably come back to it.

This has got me confused. You don't want to encourage grazing but you feed her dry food. :confused: Dry food is designed for grazing. Or is this the wet that she won't eat? :wall: Sorry, guess I am having another DUH moment.

Britt Desnoyers
December 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM
DUH!! Guess you have to repeat stuff more than once to us. We're pretty dense it seems. :wall:
Now stop being so rude. Do you want help? I am sorry if some of our information is repeated. Yes, it tends to happen. There are a lot of very knowledgable people on this board who know quite a bit about feeding their pets because they have done their research. How about you cut us some slack?
So........ did you get the kitten from the shelter you originally stated you got her from or from a foster? See...... this is why people are having issues with your statements. We don't know what is going on. :shrug:

As I have stated before... we only have your kittens' best interest at heart.

Now, one more time...................

Yes, canned cat food will give the kitten gas. As will any type of food until the kitten has gotten used to it. It's like when we have a change in our diets. Same thing happens. :shrug: You can not try a food for a week and decide it is no good. It takes longer than that for a cat to adjust to a new food.
And yes, after giving her wet food she will be "WILD", run around and have more energy. She is a kitten. They are supposed to have a lot of energy. She has had some good food in her belly and feels like running around.
You say you went from Whiskas (crap) to raw (good) to dry???????? I just don't know what is happening to this poor kitty. No wonder she has farts. I would too. And all of this is the space of what? A week? When was it you first came to us for info on this? Not long ago. And you haven't had the kitten for that long. I think you said it was Nov 2 you got her from the shelter/foster?
It is also possible that when you have tried her on different foods she simply is not hungry. Leave it there for her to try later. She would probably come back to it.

This has got me confused. You don't want to encourage grazing but you feed her dry food. :confused: Dry food is designed for grazing. Or is this the wet that she won't eat? :wall: Sorry, guess I am having another DUH moment.

We tried whiska's once but she didn't like it, from there we went to the actual canned food. Like the vet said, shes fine on the dry food if thats what she wants. I'm leaving a little bit of wet food beside her dry food to try and encourage her to 'investigate' it

If she never chooses to eat wet food its not a big deal, but I do want to try while shes a kitten.

Dry food is for grazing if you leave more then enough for them, I just leave her a little bit more then enough for that meal.

So to clarify
she likes her dry food
absolutly HATES wet food
Shes just a pickey little kitten :]
But maybe this leaving out the wet food while she eats will help her

sugarcatmom
December 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
If she never chooses to eat wet food its not a big deal, but I do want to try while shes a kitten.

I hope you keep trying. Many cats balk at eating new foods because they have new textures and smells and tastes, and they're naturally suspicious of these new things as a defense mechanism against eating something toxic. Also, dry foods are coated in various flavour enhancers by the manufacturers in order to get cats to eat what would otherwise be an unpalatable product. They're playing dirty, because they make the biggest profit margins off of kibble. This can all be overcome with patience and persistence, trust me! And it really is important for cats to eat wet, despite what the vet may tell you.

Here are some tips for getting a kibble addict to eat canned: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_

Britt Desnoyers
December 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
We are still trying shes taking a little bit more then a bite now and swallowing it! Hurray! I patient though and willing to wait with her

sugarcatmom
December 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM
We are still trying shes taking a little bit more then a bite now and swallowing it!

Yay!!! Glad to hear there's some progress. It took me something like a year to get my old guy eating only wet food, but he was a pretty extreme case (complicated by diabetes). Younger cats are usually more adaptable, so hang in there! What worked best in my situation was to pulverize some dry food (put it between a couple sheets of wax paper and smush it with a rolling pin) and sprinkle it on top of the wet. Once Aztec was used to the smell and taste of the canned, I put less and less kibble powder on top.