Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat has been spayed for a year but....

bellanut
December 11th, 2008, 01:42 PM
she's going into heat!

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I'm new here

but here is the situation

last October we got our girl Peanut spayed (she was an adult, about 5 years old) The day we took her home she went into heat. We called the vet and they said that it was probably because she was just about to at the time of the spay and if it happened again to call back and they would check her. So a month later she goes into heat again and I make an appointment with them. After a $200 blood test they say there's no hormones, and no reason she should be in heat. A month after that she goes into heat again

now it was always normal for her to have three quick heat cycles and then nothing for about a year. So I figured that's what it was, at the time of her spay she was in the beginning of her cycle of three. A year went by and not a peep from her

Yesterday she goes into heat again.

is this just going to be a behavior she does forever or should I seek a second opinion...I don't want to just throw away another $200(not that I wouldn't spend more on her in a heartbeat if she realy needed it)

ancientgirl
December 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm sure some doggie experts will come and perhaps give you an idea about what might be happening.

I'm wondering since she was spayed at 5 years old, maybe it's sort of like a "phantom pregnancy," type thing. :shrug:

bendyfoot
December 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
psssttt...ancient...it's a kitty she's talking about...that's YOUR territory...:D

ancientgirl
December 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
psssttt...ancient...it's a kitty she's talking about...that's YOUR territory...:D

:laughing::laughing: OMG! I is a dork!

Sorry!

That being said, I think I'll stick to my original statement. :o But I think going to another vet and getting another opinion as to why this is happening would be a good idea.

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
This is not right--once the spay has been done, the cat should not be going into heat. So something else is going on or the spay was never done. Taking your cat to another vet at a different clinic for a second opinion sounds like a good idea to me :thumbs up

Love4himies
December 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
My coworker had that same issue with her Annie :cat:. The vet left part of an ovary in, once it was removed then the heats stopped.

Karin
December 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
It is just about impossible to leave part of an ovary in when spaying. Each ovary is attached to separate uterine horns and is removed as a whole.
He/she maybe? Nor not spayed? Also, the reproductive organs are not the only players on the field when it comes to hormones.

Love4himies
December 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
It is just about impossible to leave part of an ovary in when spaying. Each ovary is attached to separate uterine horns and is removed as a whole.
He/she maybe? Nor not spayed? Also, the reproductive organs are not the only players on the field when it comes to hormones.

Don't know how it happened, but it did. She had to bring her cat back to be re-operated two months after the first spaying. I asked her if she was sure she was spayed in the first place and she said her kitty had the spay incision. :shrug:

kathryn
December 11th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Very true. I've seen spay surgeries being done on cats and they are very hard to screw up. A little piece of something can be left behind but really it's not that possible.

It really could be a LEARNED behaviour at this point. It's not hormonal but just something she is used to doing. Just like male cats can 'learn' to spray and keep spraying after they've been neutered!

Don't think there is much for you to do. Sorry! Maybe there is something setting her off? Any Tom Cats roaming near your house?

mona_b
December 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Are you sure it's a "heat" thing? How is she acting?

And you say she went into heat when you brought her home from the spay? Hmmm.

My Calico came into heat the week of her spay.She still got spayed(an extra $25) but she never went back into heat.This was 7 years ago.

Ummm actually a cat can come into heat after a spay...Any left over ovarian tissue will do it..But it doesn't mean the cat will get pregnant.

Can she still come into heat after spaying?

Without ovaries, she should be unable to come into heat. Occasionally, a remnant of ovarian tissue is left behind by mistake. This can lead to some annoying behaviors as the female cat comes into heat (though she would be unable to get pregnant if her uterus has been removed as is customary with spaying). Special testing or even surgical exploration may be needed to determine if there is an ovarian remnant.

From this.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=602

And this
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/pregnancyreproduction/f/FAQ_spayheat.htm

Melinda
December 12th, 2008, 07:08 AM
after her spay at 6 months my cat did the same thing for her next 9 yrs....you'd swear she was in heat....just no bleeding

Love4himies
December 12th, 2008, 07:16 AM
If anybody would like to see the vet records of Annie and her second spaying, she will provide them. It is possible and DOES happen. It was not a whole ovary, just some tissue.

bellanut
December 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
oh she's definately in heat. She's been howling all night, walks with her butt realy low, rubs herself on everything and when you pet her she starts treading her hind legs.

The vet did do a blood test on her to see if she had any hormones which would mean some tissue left but nothing came up in the test

now I am looking for another vet and I am planning to take her for a second opinion. If they find that she has tissue still in her and have to open her up again (poor baby) should I send the bill to the original vet since they messed up her surgery in the first place?

and IF there is some tissue still left in her, does it HAVE to be removed? Does it pose any health risks?

Love4himies
December 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I find it cruel to watch a female cat in heat, it is frustrating for her and for you I am sure.

Plus, if she has the instinct to get pregnant, you have a greater chance of her running away. Also, I am sure she will be attracting toms to your neighbourhood which may not be desirable either.

As for my co worker, she brought her cat back to the vet who did the spay and he reoperated at no charge.

Melinda
December 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
the same happened to a friend of mine here love4himies, and he did the second spay free, so I do believe you

14+kitties
December 12th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I don't think anyone is doubting you L4H. Vets are not God. It is possible for them to mess up occasionally too. We all do.
I would think she is definitely in heat. I don't think she would be secreting enough hormones to attract all the toms in the area but it must be very uncomfortable for her.
L4H used her video cam at one point to film what was going on with one of her kitties. Can you do the same? Does your cell have a camera on it? Video the way she is acting and then take it to the vet. See what he/she says then. But definitely find a new vet.

Love4himies
December 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I don't think anyone is doubting you L4H. Vets are not God. It is possible for them to mess up occasionally too. We all do.
I would think she is definitely in heat. I don't think she would be secreting enough hormones to attract all the toms in the area but it must be very uncomfortable for her.
L4H used her video cam at one point to film what was going on with one of her kitties. Can you do the same? Does your cell have a camera on it? Video the way she is acting and then take it to the vet. See what he/she says then. But definitely find a new vet.

Thanks 14+, just seemed like some people were doubting it could happen. :grouphug:

I did film Puddles coughing because I knew darn well she wouldn't do it for the vet :frustrated: I put it on a memory stick and took her and the file to the vet. He LOVED the idea. He could also go back and review it after checking something out on her.

Jim Hall
December 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
has happened to me to no matter hwat the vet says even if the tests show no hormones the levels maybe too low to detect i would definitaly get militant at this point ,