Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anger scratching

Patience
December 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Hi there.

I have 2 cats and they both love their scratching posts and use them all the time. They do not scratch the furniture or carpet at all. Except....

I often leave the bedroom door open at night and about half the time the kitties behave just fine. But sometimes they are too frisky and want to play and jump all over me to wrestle and chase. So on those nights I just scoot them out the door and close the door. One of them doesn't like this at all and so scratches the carpet in front of the door. He never does this any other time, so its just 'cause he's annoyed with being locked out.

I tried the no scratch spray, and it just makes me gag and he doesn't care at all. I've tried water spraying and he hates it, but will be back in an hour or two.

I'm going to try 2 sided tape on the carpet, but I don't want to leave it there forever.

So any suggestions would be welcome.

How long should I expect to leave the tape there before he 'gets it' and stops scratching? Or will he just start up again when I remove the tape?

Should I also use a spray bottle to reinforce if he tries? (Along with tape) Or will I never know which worked and so should only try one thing at a time?

And of course, any other ideas or thoughts.

Thanks so much.

bendyfoot
December 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I don't think he's angry so much as just wanting to get back in the room :shrug: Our cat will shred the carpet to threads if she's locked out so Princess gets to sleep wherever she wants too:rolleyes: Not sure what you can do other than what you've tried already. Only other thing I can think of would be something like a Scat Mat, but that would be a last resort sort of thing.

BenMax
December 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I can totally relate - my solution is that all my carpets are being replaced with flooring (was certainly not in the budget). All corners are G-O-N-E from every entrance way to all rooms.:o Leather coach now resembling a 'fringe' jacket!

Love4himies
December 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM
He is telling you he wants in. Do you get up when he scratches? He may be doing it because he gets attention when he does. If that is the case, then two way sticky tape and completely ignore him when he scratches.

mona_b
December 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
What you can also try is a mix of water and vinegar in a spray bottle. Just spray it outside on the area he's scratching.:)

TacoGrl
December 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
This is frustrating...I too have lived through it :rolleyes: I put a heavy rubber mat in front of the door (didn't think of sticky tape at the time) and ignored the scratching/wapping of mat against door...it stopped after a couple of nights, HOWEVER, when the door was open and I was sitting on my bed reading and would have liked a furry beside me, they wouldn't come in! I left the door open and eventually, they ventured in again and we didn't have any problems again...don't know if they just grew out of it or if they caught on...