Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Got Him!!!! New Puppy!! AH!

Smiley14
December 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I posted in one of Hazel's threads a few days ago about filling out an application for a little red Boston baby that just came into Rescue. I found out tonight that I got him!!!! AH! I don't have a lot of information yet, they're putting me in contact with the foster tomorrow. But he's 13 weeks old, currently 6.5 pounds. His Mom was a puppy mill rescue who died and he and his three littermates were hand-raised! He is a red Boston, which is not to breed standard, but sometimes bred by BYB's or Millers as "rare." :mad:

This is the only pic I have so far! They told me he is much younger here, but I don't know how old he was here and what he looks like now! I'm hoping to get some updated pics from the foster tomorrow as well. He's located in St Louis, so I'll be making a road trip to go get him! Not sure when yet, but could be as soon as this weekend! :eek: So I'm suddenly scrambling to go puppy shopping again! I gave away all of Belle's stuff as I didn't expect to be getting another puppy! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time!!!!

Is there anything I should expect differently from a hand-raised puppy? He wouldn't have had Momma to teach him all those important baby lessons. They said he is very, very sweet-natured, so let's hope so! :)

So meet JACK! I had to go with a "J" name so now I'll have PB&J. LOL! :)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/smileysteph14/puppy.jpg

MommaKat
December 11th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Poor Jacks Mom :candle: :cry:

At least this baby will live a life of Puppy Cups, Birthday Waffles, bike rides and so much more! I'm so glad the rescue picked you :highfive: ! Sorry I don't have much advise for you( I have never owned a puppy) I just wanted to say congrats on your new edition :stork-baby::cloud9:

clm
December 11th, 2008, 05:54 AM
What a cutie. Congratulations on your new puppy and how wonderful the rescue chose you to be his forever home. Can't wait to see all the new puppy pics that you had better post really, really soon. :laughing:

Cindy

Rottielover
December 11th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I think the only difference might be, will be bite inhibition. It will take a lot more patience and training for that aspect. Other than that, as long as training is consistent, I do not see any other things coming up.
He may test out your dogs more, but they will teach him no means no...And you should let them, the only way this little guy will learn the correct doggie rules.
I can not believe I forgot to say how gorgeous he is, and congrats

Love4himies
December 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM
What a little sweetie, congrats on your new addition!

14+kitties
December 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM
He sure is a handsome young fella'. What do you think Petey and Belle will think of him? It should be interesting around your place for a while!! Would love to be there to see the action! :cloud9:
Congrats and thank you for rescuing that cutie pie face. :lovestruck:

cpietra16
December 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
He sure is cute..:cloud9: sad the mom had to die in such terrible conditions..:sad:.

mollywog
December 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM
oh wow!!!! CONGRATS!!! I am so excited for you!!!! He is absolutely adorable!!! How far is the drive to St Louis? ooooh I can't wait to see pics of him in his new home! He is so lucky the rescue picked you! and PB & J!! I love it! yay! :lovestruck: :D :party:

BenMax
December 11th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Congrats on your new baby. I must say that the 'default' is actually very unique...I like it ALOT! Only default here is the damn puppymill.

Anyways - the thing that I find most in hand raised pups or pups taken away from their mothers too quickly is food aggression. I would test this by croaching down and having the bowl between your knees. While the pup is eating, pat him/her. Touch the pup everywhere. Then cautiously try taking away the bowl. If the dog freezes or growls or nips - then you know that you must curb this behaviour.

Anyways - if you notice this then you can start working on getting him/her over this hump.

So I wish you the very best with this little one and you are an :angel: for rescueing this deserving soul.

luckypenny
December 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Awww, congratulations Smiley14. Jack is just adorable :cloud9:.

I've only had one experience hand raising a litter of pups from birth but I'd like to share that puppies usually learn bite inhibition by the time they are 10-12 weeks old. If Jack was kept with his littermates, then it's not something I'd be too concerned about right now. And if the litter was raised in a foster home with mature dogs, even better. The older ones have a way with teaching the young punks some basic puppy manners :D.

Also, a foster home would normally feed puppies using separate bowls to prevent scrimmages between them which, in turn, helps prevent guarding issues.

I'd recommend you prepare a list of questions for your conversation with the foster family. They should be your best resource to help with the smoothest transition possible.

I have no doubt little Jack has found himself the most wonderful home to be adopted into :grouphug:.

ancientgirl
December 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Aw, what an adorable little guy. Congratulations!

Smiley14
December 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Thank you guys so much!!!!

There's been a big change in plans, LOL!

I just got a call from the Rescue and they got another litter of red Bostons in just last night. These are five months old and one of them is a girl. I had originally wanted a girl, so they called to see if I wanted her instead! Oh man! What a tough decision! So I asked about their backgrounds and what little was known of their temperaments and such and decided to go with the older puppy instead. So now, THIS is the puppy I'll be getting instead, LOL! Same rescue organization, but she will be coming from Arkansas instead. So I'll be flying on Sat to get her instead of driving now. I'm still waiting to confirm all the details, but she's at the vet right now to get her health cert, is heartworm negative, and is a little timid, but warms up to people pretty quickly. I was told the litter came from a BYB who kept them in a barn with a doggie door, so we have no idea where she's at with potty training and such. So far, she's doing really well with their other dogs and cats and with their kids, so hopefully she will be a good match for us!

She was born July 24th so is about 5 months old and weighs 9 pounds so far. She's quite a bit smaller than Belle was at that age, so I'm guessing she'll be a little smaller. We'll see!

Here is her picture! And now I have to figure out a new name! I've been calling the puppy "Jack" in my head now so it's hard to think of her as something else, LOL!

This is the Rescue:
http://members.petfinder.com/~RI76/index.html

ancientgirl
December 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Just call her Jackie!:D

Oh, she's adorable, but I'm sad now for little Jack.:sad:

Smiley14
December 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I know! :sad: Poor little baby Jack still needs a home if anyone wants him! LOL! She did say they've had a lot of applications coming in since they were posted on Petfinder, so is confident he will find a home very soon. I feel so bad. How do you choose between them?! AH! I just thought an older puppy might be a little easier with my work schedule. I wish I could take them both!

What do you guys like for a name? I don't really like the name Jackie (That was the name of the neighborhood bully growing up! :laughing:), but do kind of like it spelled Jackee. Or I like Jemma or I was thinking why not even go with Jelly since J is for PB&J anyway, LOL!

ancientgirl
December 11th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah, Jack's a puppy, so he will likely get adopted out fast.

I like Jelly, or you can do Jenny, Jewel, Janey, Josey.

MommaKat
December 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
What about Jessie? you could spell it like that or make it really interesting like Jezzie ? Or how about Jazzy? Or Joy? since it will be a real JOY to have another girl puppy :crazy::crazy:

I'm sure Jack will find a home no problem, don't feel bad. Your just picking the pooch that would be best suited around your lifestyle. She's such a pretty girl!

luckypenny
December 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I wish I could take them both!

:rolleyes:

:D

I was thinking why not even go with Jelly since J is for PB&J anyway, LOL!

That's cute :laughing:.

mollywog
December 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
shes a cutie!
what about Jill???

Dracko
December 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I like the name Jelly. :thumbs up

chico2
December 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
OMG Smiley,what an adorable pup:lovestruck:
I think I like the name Joy,she looks like a whole lot of joy:lovestruck::lovestruck:

Blackdog22
December 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM
She is stunning!
What about "Jemima" (like the syrup...lol)
Or Jezinae

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Oh, congratulations, Smiley!! She's a doll!!!! Look at those eyes :flirt:

You know, every time I saw a P and B thread I always thought of PB & J sandwiches anyway, so I like the name Jelly! :laughing: Belle is gonna be so excited to see her little sister! :cloud9:

Frenchy
December 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
omg she's adorable ! Congratulation Smiley14 ! She couldn't ended up in a better home :thumbs up

Now you'll have to post more pics :crazy:

Tundra_Queen
December 11th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Congratulations!! She is adorable! I feel bad for jack though, I sure hope he won't have to wait long to be adopted. He sure is cute!

Debbie

Etown_Chick
December 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
She looks like a Jessie, but Jelly would be cute too!
Congrats!

Smiley14
December 11th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys!!!!

I couldn't get a flight for Sat, so now will be getting her on Sun instead. So I should hopefully be able to post some pics Sun night! :)

And I still can't decide on a name, LOL!

Frenchy
December 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
And I still can't decide on a name, LOL!

You could call her Nadine , it's a pretty sexy name IMO :whistle:

Now is this a condition with you ? You must adopt a dog that you have to take an airplane to pick up ? :laughing:

14+kitties
December 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM

But Frenchy, then it would be PB and N. That makes no sense. Peanut Butter and Nuts? Nachos? Doesn't go like PB and J.

I think seeing as you were getting a Jack you should name the girl Jill. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
December 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM

But Frenchy, then it would be PB and N. That makes no sense. Peanut Butter and Nuts? Nachos? Doesn't go like PB and J.

I think seeing as you were getting a Jack you should name the girl Jill. :shrug:

Judy works. :o :laugh: Not as sexy as Nadine, though. :p

TeriM
December 12th, 2008, 12:05 AM
awwww, she is super cute :lovestruck:.

Congrats Smiley! I like Jelly for a name but also like Jessie :).

Rottielover
December 12th, 2008, 05:58 AM
She is a cutie. What about Jasper or Jasmine

Soter
December 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
:eek:I am speechless!!

That is the most beautiful little bundle of joy ever! So cute!

You are so lucky, OMG... I want to hug her:crazy:

Can I kidnap little poochie?? :D:D

rainbow
December 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Congratulations :highfive: ....she is soooo adorable. :cloud9:

I like Jemma or Jewel. :thumbs up