Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet Cruelty?

stingynina
December 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Ok, I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
My 15yo chihuahua tried to escape from the bedroom when the labs were fighting over a peice of toast. She got bit, and had a few lacerations. They weren't gushing blood and she wasn't stressing about them, so I new it could wait until morning instead of paying thru the nose for an emergency vet visit.
I made an appt first thing in the morning and took her right in. He came in and then took her in the "back room" aka torture chamber....he shaved away the hair around the lacerations, then clipped the skin and cleaned the wounds and NEVER sedated her or numbed the area. That poor dog was back there screaming her little lungs out. I was never so MAAAAAD in my entire life!!! I cannot believe that any vet would do that to any animal. I was just about to leave that room and go yank her out of there when he brought her back in....telling me how doing surgery on a dog that old would be like throwing your 95 yo grandmother down the stairs! I said, you dont think what you just did to her was traumatic????? OMG I was irate!!! I still am!! What was this idiot thinking???? She weighs a whopping 7.3 lbs. I took the pills for pain and the antibiotic and took her home!
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=213032619/PictureID=6545255806/a=118014499_118014499/t_=118014499
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=213032619/PictureID=6545255806/a=118014499_118014499/t_=118014499

luckypenny
December 10th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I've never heard of a vet sedating a dog to wash wounds :shrug:. I would think the screaming was because of the actual bites. Which then brings me to the concerns of how all this even came about.

Frenchy
December 10th, 2008, 09:10 PM
My Sam was bleeding like hell when he lost his whole nail, they didn't sedate him . Daisy went to the emergency when she took out one of her stitches , didn't get sedated. Sam had to have his leg shaved once , right on a bleeding / full of puss hot spot , he didn't get sedated.

I do second that the screaming was from pain from the injury. Why would the labs fighting over a piece of toast ? Sorry but you have to be careful with food when you have more than one dog. Never leave food with all of them around. :shrug:

Blackdog22
December 10th, 2008, 09:12 PM
It could be that the dog is not use to grooming or is uncomfortable with other people handling it, that plus being in pain would warrant screaming. I have seen dogs SCREAM when getting nails done......it's only because they are not used to it, or have had traumatic experiences.

kathryn
December 10th, 2008, 09:33 PM
My boss' dogs recently got into a scuffle. The mastiff bit the rottie and he brought her in for an appointment the next morning like you. The dogs wounds were shave and cleaned for a better look, but I believe he said after that Duchess was sedated for some minor surgery and stitches. But prior to that she was awake for the other poking and prodding.

Chihuahuas' erm, 'voices' are a bit loud and annoying (no offense!:D) to begin with so your pup was probably exaggerating. I do not feel it was right for the vet to just take your dog in the back though. I NEVER let my pets go in the back anymore unless I know who is taking them back there. I love my vets office and my vet and my shelter and everyone else, but I prefer them to do all procedures and such infront of me because I like to know what is going on.

If you are uncomfortable with your vet you should find a new one! I tell that to everyone. You should enjoy going to your vets (to a point). I brought in my one cat for a checkup today and my other cat had a bit of congestion so he went as well. I love annoying my vet with a million questions :o I bug him about everything and ask what he is doing and to have him show me how to do this. At this point he automatically knows to tell me what he's doing or looking for because I'm so nosey. :laughing:

So try asking your friends or relatives what vet they use to find a new one. They are your best references.

Dracko
December 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM
The "wounds" couldn't have been that bad if you were willing to wait overnight to take your dog in. I'm sure it was just, as Kathryn said, the type of voice a Chihuahua has that made it sound so terrible.

On the other hand, if you truly feel the vet was not acting in the best interest of your animal you need to swtich vets and never take your dog back there again.

Karin
December 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Chihuahua's get very vocal if you look at them!

I would never sedate a 15 year old animal for the wounds I saw, that would be risking more harm. You could always ask to be present for any treatment too. If you in anyway hinder the treatment , expect to be asked to leave the room. Sometimes certain breeds act better without the owner in the room.

Rottielover
December 11th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I agree with others, no reasons to sedate, so I would not be so quick to judge the vet. What does bother me is, why were you not with your dog.
Harley had an open wound on his neck, I was there when they shaved and washed the room.
Only thing I was not allowed was when they were stiching up.

satchelp
December 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Some vets take dogs to procedure rooms for this type of thing and will not allow people in there. It's happened to me before (not my regular vet).

tweety
December 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Why the vet didn't practice a local anesthesia?? it will have no risk for your dog because of her age. the definition in wikipedia for local anesthesia is : Local anesthesia is any technique to render part of the body insensitive to pain without affecting consciousness. it's was less cruel and painful, now your dog surely associate pain with vet... So bad, i work in a veterinary clinic and each time the vet have to do this kind of work first maybe she tried it before with no local anesthesia, but when she see that the dog have pain she practice it to be safe for the dog....
Sorry for you and your dog, but now you know to ask for a local anesthesia if next time it happen!

TacoGrl
December 11th, 2008, 10:03 PM
My vet told me what she was going to do and what Mooki's reaction might be and asked if I wanted to be with her...I always did...I felt it helped Mooki so she wouldn't be scared...I think maybe you should find another vet...

mafiaprincess
December 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Cider had an accident at the groomer a few years ago. A quarter sized avulsion of skin hanging from a small point. It was shaved for a better look without anesthetic, washed and wrapped for the night. She needed surgery to remove it and stitch it shut the next day, as they couldn't fit her in right then.

I don't go to vets that won't let me stay with my dog for non surgery things. I want to know and see what they are doing.

I think you have bigger issues with your dogs fighting over food and in turn injuring your elderly dog than you have vet issues.