Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Deaf Dog

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM
This really, really saddens me to write this, and unfortunately it's too real and close to me for me to ignore or be distant from it. I know it's probably not the place to write this, hell block and report at worse, I'm just trying this as last resort... I need ideas what to do to help that dog...

My friend, who's a very loving person with her pets, adopted a "last chance dog" from someone who was going to put the dog down. The dog is deaf, like, deaf deaf, can't hear squat... He feels vibration, understands hands command (sits and gives paw and come sees the person, and jumps) He's very loving and energetic. Neutered, however not up to date on shots *mumbles*

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd295/Syrianne/sly.jpg

He's an Australian Cattle Dog, 9 months old...

Major problem, he just can't be alone, he barks, non stop, and destroys everything. Now she had complains and must give the dog away or put him to sleep this weekend. She's working and going to school (in zootherapy so she can bring both of her dogs 1/2 of the time) She doesn't have the time anymore, is stressed about everything, needless to say she doesn't know what to do anymore. She though about cutting his vocal cords, but she knows if she does that it would just mask the problem.

I'm trying to find a way, but she can't hire a puppy sitter (too broke for it), She tried everything in her power (even shock collar :S)

Now the major problem is, the former owner don't want the dog to be given away to random people, in fact it was a last chance, she wants the dog to be put down, period, no chance.... But I'm sure if we find the perfect family for him, she'll come to her senses, she refuses any rescue center (honestly I think shes stupid)

So yea, if anyone, knows any family who would adopt a deaf dog, very loving... PM me, Mail me, whatever.. though I'm warning, this dog has serious destructive problems :S And him being deaf, will just make training harder.

Or if anyone, ANYONE has ANY ideas how to deal with it, I'll be more than happy to give her ideas. She tries hard to keep her dog happy and healthy, but its really becoming impossible for her now.

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM
This is very very sad and very selfish. I am certain that there is a breed rescue that would take. I cannot believe this.

How very sad for this deserving soul.

However if this is now her dog, she can do whatever she wants with it. There is no reason why the previous owner has a say in this unless there was a paper signed.

aslan
December 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM
i will pm luckypenny to look at this thread, she just dealt with a deaf pb puppy. ummm please tell your friend not to use a shock collar its very cruel as is clipping the vocal cords. The dog is frightened and probably has some seperation issues. Crate it so it can't destroy stuff, exercise it alot so it's tired. give it a frozen Kong stuffed with goodies in it's crate to keep it busy.

bendyfoot
December 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Refusing rescue is selfish indeed. There are many people out there who know and understand the needs of deaf dogs and how to train them. It's not uncommon for dogs deaf from birth to have destructive tendencies or OCD behaviour...none of which is not manageable in most cases. This gorgeous pup is very likely NOT a lost cause. Is there any way YOU can arrange something with a rescue and then take the dog yourself?

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I know I told her!

I'm really trying hard to help her :( hes really a nice dog

and yea she signed something :(

luckypenny
December 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM
though I'm warning, this dog has serious destructive problems :S And him being deaf, will just make training harder.

That is so wrong! Training a deaf dog is no more difficult than training a hearing dog. What you're describing is separation anxiety and can be resolved.

What exactly are you asking for here? Training help? Or just "come get this dog or he gets put down"?

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Refusing rescue is selfish indeed. There are many people out there who know and understand the needs of deaf dogs and how to train them. It's not uncommon for dogs deaf from birth to have destructive tendencies or OCD behaviour...none of which is not manageable in most cases. This gorgeous pup is very likely NOT a lost cause. Is there any way YOU can arrange something with a rescue and then take the dog yourself?

Cant, I work as well and I live in an apartment, if I lived in a house it would be something totally diferent :(

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Alright, she said that the girl who gave her the dog was someone who owns a A. Cattle dog rescue, and the breed specific rescues refuses him (wtf!)

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM
That is so wrong! Training a deaf dog is no more difficult than training a hearing dog. What you're describing is separation anxiety and can be resolved.

What exactly are you asking for here? Training help? Or just "come get this dog or he gets put down"?

Any hints and help for her really :S
the thing is, her landlord put his foot down :S she has to get rid of the problem ...like now :S

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
So many people here have dogs already. This dog's only real chance is through a rescue. I am so shocked that there is no reasoning with the previous owner. Karma is the darnest thing. They should think twice before not exploring every option out there.

luckypenny
December 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Any hints and help for her really :S
the thing is, her landlord put his foot down :S she has to get rid of the problem ...like now :S

Please be more specific. Helping a dog with SA doesn't work overnight.

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Alright, she said that the girl who gave her the dog was someone who owns a A. Cattle dog rescue, and the breed specific rescues refuses him (wtf!)

Doesn't make sense. What rescue? Can you PM me? I may have contacts there.

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
So many people here have dogs already. This dog's only real chance is through a rescue. I am so shocked that there is no reasoning with the previous owner. Karma is the darnest thing. They should think twice before not exploring every option out there.

I know, hes such a great dog too!!! I would take him, but really right now, I don't have the time (when we get the home, sure, but it wont be for another 7-8 months)

aslan
December 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
:laughing: didn't even get a chance to pm lp. and there she is. poof. psycho, i mean psychic network at it's finest.

luckypenny
December 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
poof. psycho,

:p

HRP lent me her crystal ball :rolleyes:.

Syrianne
December 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Ok Guys, gotta comment myself.

Sly took 2 weeks to stop rolling in his pee and pooh everywhere in the appartment. He hate many shoes, broke many things...

I chose the collar in last chance option. Sadly, when I took Sly, he wasn't barking when he was alone. He started that a week after he got home. I think he isn't used to have someone really caring for him and panics when alone. I am his fifth family I think... So this dog is becoming worse and worse each time he is changing. I took me a month to get him to act properly at home and still, all my friends are telling me I'm crazy to keep him... he is sooo troublesome... But **** I love him.

His old owner want to take him back but the puppy will suffer there. She has 10 dogs (is a breeder) and took him and his 2 sister only to save them. But Sly was beaten all the time by the 10 other dogs and so... if she takes him back, he will turn out even worse in his next family. She isn't a bad woman but after 6 months of trying to be confident, when she found out that some people tried to resell the pups when she was giving them for free after all that, she got pissed. She paid to neutered him, was feeding them well, making a lot of search for good family but it seems that most people on earth are dumb.

If Sly changes family too much he will suffer even more. Those puppy are so trouble some that the Breed Shelter in Quebec province won't accept any of the 3...

So, we're not here to judge anyone please... I'm looking for some help, that's all.

~michelle~
December 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM
has she tried some things like rescue remedy?

screw what the original owner said you cannot put a dog down for reasons like barking and many reputable vets simply wont do it.

Being deaf if put in to a rescue it will very likely be adopted, theres also the deaf dog network or rescue if you google it you should be able to find it and maybe they can post something about him. People are willing to give dogs with difficulties like deafness a shot because it pulls at their heart strings and it doesnt cost more money to care for (a little rude sounding but true)

I have had experience with some deaf dogs and would take him in but i am already at my legal limit.

best of luck finding a home for this little man! keep us posted

Syrianne
December 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Ok worse; the only shelter we found is in USA in fact :S

Syrianne
December 10th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I won't give him to a shelter. Non-Negociable. I don't want to imagine how this dog may end after that.

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
If a shelter is not an option then fine but they are successful in placing. I know for a fact that the MSPCA would absolutely try to get this dog into a rescue out of province. I can contact my resource and find out if that is possible - forget about the QC rescue if they will not take (which I think is a horrible crime).

No one wants ill for this dog, but they do want to see this dog live. I would not shut down the resources if they are willing to take whether that be a shelther or a rescue.

luckypenny
December 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I won't give him to a shelter. Non-Negociable. I don't want to imagine how this dog may end after that.

What exactly are you looking for then?

aslan
December 10th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Syrianne, let benmax try if anyone can get this little one a safe place it's her.

Syrianne
December 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Ok guys we found a solution. Seems like the puppy will be right after all.

Love4himies
December 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM
BenMax has many resources that could help place this dog into a proper home. It would be truly selfish for you to not at least let her try.

Love4himies
December 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Are you willing to share with us?

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Good for you. I had my thinking cap on now I can rest easy.

Thanks for giving this pup a 6th chance!

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I must say this was the easiest resolution ever! That is wonderful news as thankfully because of you this dog is saved. Great job and again we all share in your joy in giving him breath and life. Hats off and bless you.

luckypenny
December 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Can you share what answer you've found? It may help others coming here for similar info.

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 11:42 AM
now, the former owner wants to give him to another rescue, wtf o.0 im confused heh

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM
now, the former owner wants to give him to another rescue, wtf o.0 im confused heh

So I take it that is the solution then. I hope that the dog goes to a breed rescue or to one for special needs.

As long as the dog is given a fair chance then that is my only concern. There are many people here that can help or have contacts that can assist.

I truly hope that all works out well.

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
actually at first, she wanted to take the dog back and help him with the issues, however, she changed her mind at the last minute, I really dont know much more (my friend is at work heh)

I just hope the dog will find a good home :S

babymomma
December 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Okay, is this dog rescued or not? Does he still need saving?

I just got off the phone with A lady in alberta that has 5 dogs already and cannot at the time tke anymore. She rescues these dogs, but has no room. She is going to try to contact a lady in ontario that rescues as well and get back to me. So i need a straigh out answer. Where is this dog located? Does he still need help? Why is this thread so confusing and hard to follow?? lol

:fingerscr she can get this other lady to take him!

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Okay, is this dog rescued or not? Does he still need saving?

I just got off the phone with A lady in alberta that has 5 dogs already and cannot at the time tke anymore. She rescues these dogs, but has no room. She is going to try to contact a lady in ontario that rescues as well and get back to me. So i need a straigh out answer. Where is this dog located? Does he still need help? Why is this thread so confusing and hard to follow?? lol

:fingerscr she can get this other lady to take him!

I was also working on it but apparently this dog is safe...I think ???

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
dog will be in a American rescue for Cattle dogs
they had to negotiate for it, sucks -_-;

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Well I am glad it all worked out.

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
yea, sad that he'll have to be moved all over again and with the stress and all...
but its better for him, its that or eternal zzzs :(
or vocal cords snip , which really, really is bad imo

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I am sorry for saying this as I know that your intentions are very good but it always amazes me that people who are in possession that are looking to re-home give also ultimatums too quickly. Take it or it dies. I really don't find that it's fair to so many of us here that will do just about anything to help.

I truly hope that this dog will be safe and that we are not left wondering otherwise.

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM
yea, I know, but not my dog, I can't do much more than just try to help :S

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM
yea, I know, but not my dog, I can't do much more than just try to help :S

I know ashtoreth - it's just really aimed at the person that has this dog. It just amazes me.

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM
knowing her she tried everything she could

Its just really awful that the neighbors can't understand, training and separation anx. work takes time, not only 2-3 days :(

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM
knowing her she tried everything she could

Its just really awful that the neighbors can't understand, training and separation anx. work takes time, not only 2-3 days :(

I am sorry to say that if the poster is the one that has this dog she does not seem to have patience either. If you love something, then you do whatever it takes to find even a temporary place. Shelter or no shelter - you do whatever it takes. That's just my :2cents:.

Now don't get me wrong - I am so very happy that she found something.

Love4himies
December 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I am sorry to say that if the poster is the one that has this dog she does not seem to have patience either. If you love something, then you do whatever it takes to find even a temporary place. Shelter or no shelter - you do whatever it takes. That's just my :2cents:.

Now don't get me wrong - I am so very happy that she found something.

I think syrianne is the one who has the dog :shrug:.

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
yea, she is
she just really doesn't have the choice anymore, landlord being all ******* about it :(

aslan
December 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
i'm just curious why she would ship the dog to the states instead of taking the help from someone who lives in the same city. Benmax is one of the best at getting pups their furever homes, just don't get it.

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
the rescue she got him from didn't even want him to be rescued anymore, she had to be convinced of that. and she (the rescue) found the US one
I don't know much more about it, however as soon as I have more info I'll update ^^

Love4himies
December 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
i'm just curious why she would ship the dog to the states instead of taking the help from someone who lives in the same city. Benmax is one of the best at getting pups their furever homes, just don't get it.

So true, aslan, she has connections all over the country.

babymomma
December 10th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Even passing hm into the lady in ontario who does australian cattle dog rescue would be better then shipping him to the states:shrug:

BenMax
December 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Even passing hm into the lady in ontario who does australian cattle dog rescue would be better then shipping him to the states:shrug:

Well on a positive note the dog is given another chance and that is the important thing.

Right now animal abandonment is at a high due to holidays. Even rescues are so full and paying crazy rates for those that are in boarding if not in foster care.

For me, as long as the dog is safe and in the hands of people that know what to do then it's all good.

These dogs in particular require alot of exercise and stimulation. If this is not provided then SA is inevitable coupled with his disability.

ashtoreth
December 11th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I know she's really sad of having to give him away, but as I told her, she works and go to school, time is rare for her and he's a very needy dog. It's best for the dog, at least he'll have a chance ^^

BenMax
December 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I know she's really sad of having to give him away, but as I told her, she works and go to school, time is rare for her and he's a very needy dog. It's best for the dog, at least he'll have a chance ^^

Not to mention that she is being forced to do so right.

ashtoreth
December 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Not to mention that she is being forced to do so right.

yea, that's sucks, renting suck, I had that problem once, but managed to convince my old landlord to wait a bit and see, it took two months, but at the end the dog was okay.

I'm curious to know how can someone help a deaf dog to manage SA o.0 =

bendyfoot
December 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I don't know all the details myself, but I know a woman who rescues only deaf and/or blind lethal white aussies. She's seen every degree of SA you can imagine, and has succeeded in rehabilitation with all but one, whose main issue was severe OCD (:rip:Possom). She's got deaf/blinds doing agility, OB, you name it.

BenMax
December 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
yea, that's sucks, renting suck, I had that problem once, but managed to convince my old landlord to wait a bit and see, it took two months, but at the end the dog was okay.

Anything is possible. Deaf dogs are really no different than hearing dogs. You have mentioned that this girl is busy so it is obvious that this dog is NOT getting the proper stimulation. Due to this - SA of course exists.

LuckyPenny has taken a deaf dog and Frenchy a blind one. They managed.

ashtoreth
December 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
^^
yea, it sucks when real life takes it toll on people and it hit the pets afterward :(

luckypenny
December 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM

The same way one would help a dog who isn't deaf. Patience, understanding, re-conditioning, plenty of exercise, and most of all, love and commitment. I'm willing to bet his SA has nothing to do with being deaf but because of the inconsistencies in his young life and being bounced around like a second hand toy :sad:. Using techniques like shock collars only makes his anxiety increase :sad:.

luckypenny
December 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
^^
yea, it sucks when real life takes it toll on people and it hit the pets afterward :(

ashtoreth, I have to be honest with you, and I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say this. "Real life" happens before an animal is brought into a home. Nothing in your friend's situation changed after she adopted him. Working, going to school, and living in an apartment were already her situation. Before you take on the responsibility of another life dependent on you, you have to take into account your living situation, your life. The ultimate responsibility lies in the owner.

My heart aches for the little fella :sad:.

ashtoreth
December 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM
cant say I disagree with you on that one :S