Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Suggested carrier to take in WestJet cabin?

arcookie
December 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Hi folks,

I'm due to fly on WestJet from Halifax to Vancouver soon (long flight - 8hrs.) and I was planning to take my cat with me in the cabin, under the seat in front of me (this has been booked with the airline). However, WestJet supposedly limits the height of the carrier you can use to 8.5", and I just realized that my cat stands about 11" high at the shoulder. Uh-oh!

I've been checking out carriers and the small Sherpa soft-sided carrier sold by WestJet on their website looks like it might be too small for my cat (stuff I've read says that your cat should be able to stand upright in the carrier), but I'm afraid that they won't accept the medium-sized Sherpa carrier (not sold by WestJet) that stands about 10" high.

Has anyone had any problems getting the medium-sized Sherpa carrier (or any other carrier taller than 8.5") into the cabin on a WestJet flight? Any advice?

Thanks!
Adrian

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can actually bring a pet in the plane :S other than in a specific area for them , but you cant bring him in cabin

I can, however, ask my boyfriend (he works in airport security, he knows :P

sugarcatmom
December 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can actually bring a pet in the plane :S other than in a specific area for them , but you cant bring him in cabin

Actually you can, as long as the pet (and the approved carrier) fit underneath the seat in front of you, and you let the airline know beforehand.

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_pet_rules/westjet.cfm

ashtoreth
December 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
ooo sweeeeeet

had no idea :)
you can do that even for international flight
(which I know isnt the case now, but i can ask ;)

sugarcatmom
December 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM
However, WestJet supposedly limits the height of the carrier you can use to 8.5", and I just realized that my cat stands about 11" high at the shoulder. Uh-oh!

According the link in my post above, the dimensions go up to 9" in height. You should probably call WestJet to confirm.

On board: One small companion pet (cat, dog, rabbit, or bird only) can be stowed under the seat in front of you, in a kennel which must be approved by WestJet at check-in. A service fee of $50 (each way) will be charged.

- Dimensions: Kennels brought onboard the aircraft can weigh up to 22 lbs (10 kgs), including the animal and kennel combined. The maximum dimensions permitted for an onboard kennel are 17.5" wide x 16" long x 9" high (44cm x 40cm x 22 cm) to fit the space beneath the seat. Please refer to kennel requirements below.

It isn't that the animal has to be able to stand completely upright, but that it's able to "stand and turn around". How much does your cat weigh? That might be a bigger determining factor.

arcookie
December 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM
My cat weighs about 6kgs...it's been a while since I've had her weighed.

So you don't think putting an 11" high cat in a 9" high carrier would be a problem?

Adrian

kathryn
December 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
For when I've flown on planes there is a bit more room infront of you then they lead you to believe. BUT, I am tiny! so that might be just in my little world. I bring a backpack AND purse on the plane with me. My backpack is easily as big or bigger then the size of a cat carrier. lol I really pack it full. I put it infront of me no problem. And my purse too. But again, I'm small, but legs are short and stubby so that might just be me.

Karin
December 10th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Your cat should be fine with that carrier. The less movement, less stress too. Eight hours is not really that long of a flight, I have been on longer ones with pets.
Plus, it sure beats the cargo hold.

Corrie
December 13th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I am sure your cat will be fine!

I take my Charlotte (West Highland White Terrier) with me on the aircraft often and she sits at my feet for take off and landing in her carrier and then as soon as the seat belt sign goes off I put the carrier on the tray in front of me so she can see me and she snoozes away with no trouble at all.
She behaves MUCH better than some children on the flight! :censored:
We never hear a peep from her.:angel: