Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advair diskus dosage question

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I know there are a couple of us here using Advair, Aslan, I think may be one.

I usually use the 250/50 diskus. I asked the girl at my doctors office if she had any, since I'm running out and I don't have the money to fill my prescription. I went to the office and all she had was the 500/50 diskus.

My thinking is, if I use the 250/50 twice a day, maybe I'll just need the 500/50 once a day?

I mean I don't want to O.D. on the darn thing, but I'm going to need my medicine.

Anybody out there use the 500/50?

sugarcatmom
December 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I didn't even know they had a 500! Cool. I use the 250 maybe once every other day or so. It does seem logical that if you were to use the 500 once a day, that should be fine, unless you start showing asthma symptoms. Maybe the 250 twice a day has more even coverage though. :shrug:

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah, you and I are on the same page :laughing:

Right now I inhale in the morning and in the evening, with sometimes needing my evening inhalation earlier or during the night I'll feel wheezy.

I figure with the 500 I might be able to go longer between inhalations, like maybe just once a day.:shrug:

onster
December 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM
theoretically it should give u the same medicine but the problem lies if u need a puff later...then ure only option would be to take another 500...dunno about that :shrug:

I would call a pharamcist and ask. Just say you also had 500/50....just tell them it was leftoever from a friend or something that doesnt need it anymore. They should be able to tell u..

How many does do u have left of 250/50? If you have enough for a few days, Ill probably be able to find out from a pharmacist for you (my good friend is a pharm student doing his co-op now and im sure he could aks the pharmacist he works with).

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 12:03 PM
theoretically it should give u the same medicine but the problem lies if u need a puff later...then ure only option would be to take another 500...dunno about that :shrug:

I would call a pharamcist and ask. Just say you also had 500/50....just tell them it was leftoever from a friend or something that doesnt need it anymore. They should be able to tell u..

How many does do u have left of 250/50? If you have enough for a few days, Ill probably be able to find out from a pharmacist for you (my good friend is a pharm student doing his co-op now and im sure he could aks the pharmacist he works with).

Oh, that would be so helpful if you could ask your friend. I have enough on my old one left for 2 days. I also have a rescue inhaler, so I should be good for a couple of days.

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
ancient i use the 500mg. i tried that kinda logic when they only had 250's i figured if i use it 2 puffs two times aday i could just do 4 puffs two times a day. nope doesn't work that way, or the way you're talking, it is spaced out and dosaged for a reason. sorry hon, you gotta find it somewhere else.

kathryn
December 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, usually the dosage and times per day really should be messed with. Your logic makes sense, but health wise it just doesn't work that way. If someone takes anti anxiety pills and it's 4 pills a day at 1mg a pill, you'd think a 4mg pill once in the morning would make more sense.. but nope it doesn't work that way. It could overwhelm you taking the meds all at once and then it won't last as long.

For the record I don't have asthma and the only medicine I take is one for migraines :o But my cousin is severely asthmatic so I know what advair is.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Shoot! I'd hate to use the 500, when I've only needed the 250. I'm just afraid it might be too much for me. Plus my prescription is for the 250 anyway. I suppose my doctor gave me the 250 for a reason. No sense in playing with a prescription with something like this.

Crap:frustrated:

I'll have to just bite the bullet and get my prescription filled. The 15th is next Monday but hopefully my boss will decide to sign checks Friday, then maybe I'll just get the one I need.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Zoinks! I just found out that this particular drug is $233!

I've got a prescription deductible of $250 a year. No way can I afford to buy that right now, especially since at the beginning of the year, I'd have to meet my deductible all over again.

Um...I think I'll just deal. Maybe I'll just call my doctors office.

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM
man if i used the same one i'd send you one, wonder which my sis uses. different health system, $2 deductable. i'll check and see what she uses and how many repeats she has.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I sent my doctor's office an email. Hopefully my friend over there who gives me the stuff will answer me back soon.

If the dosage isn't an issue I'll just use this.

Don't get me started on our health insurance issues here in the states. My hospital deductible is $5,000! I pray I don't have anything major happen to me that I will need to be hospitalized until my insurance plan comes up for renewal.

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
don't know what obama's health care plans are, that one of the reasons i'd love to have seen hillary go into office, she tried before to get you guys a system like ours. my mom was in emerg down there one night, $1000.00. they charged her $6.00 for a bandaid so i went to walmart bought a box took it back and handed it to them and told them to take the $6 off the bill.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not totally sure what Obama's plans are either, but something needs to be done.

You need insurance for that "what if" day, but until then, you are paying through the nose for everything. And if you ever do get hospitalized, good luck having your claims paid correctly.

And at this point I'm stuck where I'm at. If I change insurance carriers, then I won't be covered for anything having to do with my asthma, be it medicine or hospitalization, for 12 to 24 months, depending on the carrier I go to.

I can't change my plan because I just changed it to a plan with a lower premium, because what I was paying before was $80 more than my current payment, and it was all just too much.

I think what I need to do regarding this medication is just wait to see what kind of a Christmas bonus I get here at work and use part of it to satisfy my prescription deductible so I can just get my correct medication. Yeah, my boss loves me, but not enough to pay for a decent health insurance plan for me.

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM
oh ag you're gonna love me, sitting here thinking who else would have a 250mg and dawned on me, when i was at the hospital they gave me the wrong one, used it a couple times before i noticed, they gave me the right one but didn't take the other back. sooooo i have a 250mg advair sitting on the desk in front of me it has 53 doses left in it, i will mail it tomorrow .:thumbs up

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I lurves you!:highfive:

I'll return the favor and send you the unopened one I got from my doctor which is the 500 one. It's just a sample kind, only 28 doses, but in a pinch it'll do.

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
i would hold onto it my friend, in an emergency you could use it to help long enough to get help. besides i get 6 repeats of each inhaler and the drug store is a 10min walk.

onster
December 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
aslan, u rock :D

ancient...have u ever tried asking ure doctor if they have free samples? My family doctor had given me a whole bunch of free inhalers...i know uve said hes known u forever, maybe he'll be nice :D

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
good idea onster, mine gave me several of the new one i use. just curious what does ventolin go for down there.

onster
December 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
lol.."just curious" :p

i have lots of inhalers because I switched to symbicort now, still need the rescue tho just in case.

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 02:20 PM
:laughing: kinda sounded like a drug deal didnt it.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Onster, that's what I've been doing.

Not only have I known my doc since I was 21, but his office manager is married to my brother's ex-wife's nephew. So I've known her also for a long time. I usually email her every couple of months and hit her up for some samples. I've been doing it for Advair and Nasonex, and this time around I was able to get an emergency inhaler since I saw it in the cupboard where they keep the samples. This time she just didn't have any of the 250, and since they are samples there aren't many inhalations.

I just feel guilty when I ask, since I don't want to be a pain. I've been getting these from her for months.:laughing: But when I went this morning I took the a big platter with Christmas chocolates and cookies I bought yesterday, just to show my appreciation.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
good idea onster, mine gave me several of the new one i use. just curious what does ventolin go for down there.

I've never heard of that. I'd have to call the pharmacist to find out. But I about passed out when he told me mine was $233. I can't even imagine having to buy that monthly and paying that. At the very least once I pay my deductible I'll then just pay my copay, I think it's $40, which is still a lot but better than $233

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 02:33 PM
you don't know what ventolin is, you might know it by salbutamol. what rescue inhaler do you use.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I use Xopenex HFA.

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM
never heard of it,hmmmm i know my ventolin if i pay for it, like if i'm out of town and dont have my card is $22. i know my advair is less than $200.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 02:42 PM
It has some lavabuteral thingy in it. It's the first thing my doctor gave me for the asthma, and he told me to keep it for an emergency inhaler.

It's unreal isn't it? I can't believe this costs as much as it does. It should be against the law to charge this much for medication. I really doubt it costs the pharmaceutical companies that much to produce this stuff.:rolleyes:

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
omg, hon you seriously have to watch micheal moores movie sicko you just don't know how bad you're being ripped off.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM
omg, hon you seriously have to watch micheal moores movie sicko you just don't know how bad you're being ripped off.

LOL, yeah I know we're being ripped off big time, so much so that a gallon of Vaseline wouldn't even help, if you know what I mean. Half the time though, I think I'd rather be a little ignorant about it otherwise I'll cry.:laughing:

aslan
December 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM
lol, know anyone in havanah apparantly their prescriptions are much cheaper.

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
lol, know anyone in havanah apparantly their prescriptions are much cheaper.

Know anybody? My entire family on my mothers side is from there.

Unfortunately, they're always writing us to get them prescriptions!

onster
December 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Know anybody? My entire family on my mothers side is from there.

Unfortunately, they're always writing us to get them prescriptions!

thats weird. I thought its supposed to be cheaper there! (or are they more asking for financial assistance? in that case wouldnt it be easier to just send money?)

i know in egypt meds are cheaper, my mom is uninsured here (since dad doesnt work here and she doesnt) so she just buys her meds in Egypt. Have to be careful tho not to be meds that 'arent right' (like u would when buying online).

ancientgirl
December 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
From what I understand, most of the stuff they want are things they can't get over there. :shrug: A few years ago, one of my aunts cousins wrote to her asking for some medication for his son.

My aunt wondered why they couldn't get it over there, but she managed to find the medication through a friend of hers and sent it.

I've never actually sent anything, and they have never asked me for anything. Which is good considering I can barely afford my own medication.

It's unbelievable to me that medication costs to much.