Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bill 50, failing our animals.

NoahGrey
December 8th, 2008, 02:35 PM
According to The Humane Society of Canada, they hope Bill 50 is strongly opposed to this bill here is why: I have to say, that I agree. This bill does not protect ALL animals.

http://www.humanesociety.com/

Seems like a failure to all animals.

Here is another link/survey.

http://www.humanesociety.com/index.php?option=com_surveys&Itemid=247&act=view_survey&survey=ANIMALS%20NEED%20YOUR%20HELP%20RIGHT%20NOW

ACO22

NoahGrey
December 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hmm, I am surprised no one has looked at this thread. It really is interesting how this bill that is suppose help/protect animals, is actually failing them

ACO22

BenMax
December 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm sorry ACO22 - I didn't notice it. I will definately read. Thanks.:thumbs up

badger
December 10th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Is this the bill we were protesting earlier this year? I thought it had passed. If not, it's good news, gives us another kick at the can.

hazelrunpack
December 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I tried to look at it the first day you posted...and again today. My connection can't handle the link :shrug:

I was interested because we had a bad bill make it to the table last year, but it thankfully died when the legislative session ended. I was wondering how many similarities I'd find.

Blackdog22
December 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, I think the last thing on our government's mind atm is animal rights.....

Even after we get our government figured out, I doubt we will see any favourable progress towards animal rights for at least another 10years. Unless of course by chance, the animal lovers of Canada actually make a stand. That wont happen as most people are all talk. They write about how things need to change, but when the time comes for action everyone is too busy, or doesnt think it's nessecary.
IT IS nessecary. We must let our leaders know that we will not stand for such sinister and barbaric act's to go unpunished in our country!
Crimes against animals are IMO the most heinous, it takes a very deranged lunatic to be able to torture or neglect an animal. Such people must be held accountable for their actions and be considered potentially dangerous for the rest of their life. No slap on the wrist, no "fine".....justice! I think we should have something similar to the sex offender registry. If a "reformed" puppy killer is living on my block I WANT TO BE AWARE OF IT.

Of course that will never happen. That's just what would happen if my dreams came true and we had an animal uprising, so to speak....

Again I have rambled on....I apologize. Animal cruelty REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS!!! I tend to go on a wild rant just thinking of the subject!

NoahGrey
December 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
It's just frustating that in todays day and age, the government, society still picks and chooses. The concept is to protect animals and their rights. But how come only it only recognizes some animals. Disgusting.

ACO22

2sheltiesmom
December 15th, 2008, 09:54 PM
:pawprint:
We all need to do more to enlighten ourselves and others about the connection between cruelty and abuse to animals and the carryover to humans. It is REALLY important to take a stand on these issues and let your views be known!
For starters don't attend circuses, zoo's, petting zoo's and any other so called "entertainment" that exploits animals. Our four legged friends cannot speak for themselves, so we must!

Chris21711
December 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM
It isn't much, but is better than nothing. Every little bit is an improvement on nothing.

BPISS
December 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Back in Feb. 2007 I contacted my Liberal MP asking him to support Bill C-373, as apposed to Bill S-213.
In December 2006 the Senate passed Bill S-213, a private member's Bill tabled by Senator Bryden. This Bill made no changes to the archaic and inadequate legislation, but only increases the penalties. In effect, if this Bill passes through Parliament, we would be stuck with the same flawed 1892 legislation simply adjusted for inflation. The CVMA even asked for help to prevent Bill S-213 from becoming law.

Here is Bill C-373 – which they wanted to encourage at that time: http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...de=1&F ile=24

Here is Bill S-213 – which the House was trying to rush through: http://www2.parl.gc.ca/content/Senat...213_text-e.htm

You’ll notice that Bill C-373 leaves the wording as “owner” whereas Bill C-50 attempted to label us “guardians”. Being “owners” is critical to the continuation of having pets in Canada. In my personal opinion – C-373 is a much better bill than both C-50 and S-213. It covers all animals, not limiting to specific types, has good definitions and punishments that are enforceable.

In the end I don't believe either Bill was passed into Law. I gave up trying to Lobby for change, I just don't feel the Government truly cares enough to make any.

NoahGrey
December 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I gave up trying to Lobby for change, I just don't feel the Government truly cares enough to make any.

That is what they want. They want us to give up. If we all give up, animals will forever live in cruel, abuse, neglect situations. Persistance, persistance, persistance.

ACO22

Chris21711
December 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Bill 203 is Federal and was passed into law.

Bill 50 is Provincial (Ontario) and has had it third reading and will be enacted when they have dotted all of their "i's" and crossed their "t's".