Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finding cat poo everywhere outside...?

Nikkers
December 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Hi there,

I have a female cat who is about 2 years old. We can't work out if it's her that is doing it as we have not actually seen it happen, but we are finding cat poo everywhere outside. She never poops inside which is fantastic, but we are finding it in the strangest places, like on the stones in our garden, on our patio, down the driveway, by the doorstep etc.

I am wondering if it is a territory thing, but once again am not sure if it is our cat or not?

Any ideas?

Cheers, Nikkers. :)

Dracko
December 8th, 2008, 01:17 AM
To begin with most cats bury their feces so it does seem unusual that a cat would constantly poop and not bury it.

What I can suggest is you keep the cat inside, clean the litter box daily and then you won't have to worry about the poop outside at all and your cat will be safe.:lightbulb:

chico2
December 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I would say it's more than likely other creatures(raccoons,possums etc..)that are doing the pooping,when they got to go,they got to go:laughing:

catlover2
December 8th, 2008, 11:46 AM
If the ground is frozen hard which it is in my area (north of GTA), a cat cannot bury its feces as it normally would. So it's likely your cat and perhaps neighbouring cats, or as chico2 suggested racoon, which never bury their feces. Cats normally defecate in a garden or near shrubs, but in your driveway, stones, etc. not likely, probably coon droppings there.

14+kitties
December 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Sounds like you may have some strays around. It is a good idea to keep your kitty indoors. She would be safer and healtier, especially in htis cold weather.

Tundra_Queen
December 9th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Willie is an indoor cat and he has never buried his poo... I wish he would though. YUK

Nikkers
December 10th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

Thanks so much for your replies. i guess i should have stated that i live in New Zealand and the cat uses a cat door to let herself in and out and does not have a litter box.

I do think she is quite a territorial cat, as doesn't like it when others come onto the property. I've heard of 'spraying' but yes, poop like we are discovering is very odd.

Love4himies
December 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Then she is probably leaving her scent behind. Cat's do have anal glands which add scent to the stool for identification purposes.