Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Collapse of horseracing means early death to horses Quebec

poodletalk
December 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sports/Collapse+horseracing+means+early+death+horses/1038412/story.html

NoahGrey
December 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I am sure these horses can be sent to rescues.

" I am not proud of it. It’s a sad day. A lot of the horses were born and raised here, horses I broke myself. But I don’t have a choice,” he said.

“I have 82 horses (down from a peak of 135), including babies. It’s about $10 a day, per animal, just to feed them. The way things are, I can’t afford to keep them all anymore. I’ve got to reduce or I’ll go bankrupt. She (Armbro Lily) didn’t get in foal this year, and that worked against her. In a normal year, I’d keep her and try to breed her again in 2009. This year, I can’t. It costs too much.”

Who is this guy trying to kid?? Please, they are useless to him, when they can't make money. This guy has so many options. But, since it is easier to sell it to a slaughterhouse...plus he is making money by autioning them off. Wherea's sending him to a rescue, he makes nothing. People who love their animal, wheather a pet or a working animal, just don't turn around and sell them when the world becomes tough and if they do, they would try and find a home first, surrender it to a SPCA, not sell it to a slaughterhouse.

I remember the fire that happened at Woodbine Racetrack a few years ago. Many racehorses parished. The majority of the owners were more concerned that they lost their "70 000 horse". Not sad that it dies a agonizing death...just that they lost money.

I also have to mention that I hate the way the article was written. The writer is making it seem that since was are in a recession pretty much, that this should be acceptable and ok.

ACO22