Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat vs dog litter

linbb
December 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
My daughter got a new Japanese Chin puppy and over the holidays we are training her (puppy)to a box because my daughter lives in an apartment with no real grass nearby. Itis going very well, and better than I expected. :thumbs up
We are using puppy pads in the box at this point but will want to switch to litter over time. Is there a difference between dog litter for potty boxes and cat litter for potty boxes? we will maintain separate boxes, and in locations where the dog cannot get to the cat boxesl. However, I wonder if I need to buy different products for the different boxes.
Thanks for your advice!

mafiaprincess
December 8th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Dog litter is recycled paper in pellets.. Cat litter is generally not. When Cider used a potty box for 5 months because we lived in an apartment, we couldn't locally get dog litter. We stuck to potty pads in a rubbermaid.

ownedbycats
December 9th, 2008, 02:52 AM
This is a lesson my aunt sadly learned the hard way. She had a litter box with clumping cat litter for her cat. Sprite, her old dog, never bothered it. She got two new schnauzers after Sprite's death. One got into the litter to eat cat poo (sorry, it's disgusting, but it is something dogs do.) THe clumping litter blocked her stomache and intestine, requiring IMMEDIATE medical attention and a HUGE vet bill. Years later, her dog still has stomache problems if she isn't kept to a very strict diet.

WARNING: puppies can and will try to eat anything. if you have a puppy either don't use clumping cat litter or make very sure the dog can't possibly get to it.

jakhi
December 9th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Clumping litter, depending on the type can be ok. DO NOT get clay litter. As the poster above said it can cause lots of bad things. However there are clumping litters that are ok.

For my 4 cats I use Swheat Scoop. It has the same texture as clay, reduces odor without using awful perfumes, is low dust and you can flush it. The reason I tried it was because I had lots of kittens (rescue) and I didn't want them eating the clay stuff. Swheat scoop won't plug up their system nearly as much...they can digest it for the most part.

Also, for using litter for dogs you can use yesterday's news (the paper one), which doesn't clump. Or you can use the swheat scoop, or something similar such as world's best. The reason these clumping litters are ok is because the liquid sinks down a bit before clumping. The biggest problem I've seen with dogs and clumping clay litters (second to eating it of course) is the pee, walk through it, then get litter mitts. The natural litters don't clump as fast, so this doesn't really happen.

Which ever you choose the best way to switch is to keep the pee pad in the box and add a teeny bit of litter. As your puppy gets used to that gradually add more and more litter, until you have about 2" of litter. Then just don't put in the pee pad anymore.

Good luck! (btw, chins are adorable!)