Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rant...plus a couple pics!

Chaser
December 6th, 2008, 02:33 PM
We went for a hike on our favourite off leash trail today. I started snapping a couple pictures, but my photo session was interrupted by an obnoxious psychopath. This guy and his family appeared on the trail with their dog, and Kailey and Chase went to say hello. The dog looked a little nervous, but wagged his tail and did some mutual sniffing. Then the guy screams at us "Call off your dogs, call off your dogs!" as if ours were attacking his. We called them but the little buggers were feeling bratty and didn't come, so we went to get them. The guy started screaming in my boyfriend's face about how we shouldn't be there if we don't have control of our dogs because his dog was attacked once and is aggressive. Hubby then asked him why his dog was there then, and that set the guy off even more!

We grabbed our dogs and decided just to stay put with them until the nutcase was long gone....but he kept screaming at us as he was walking away! And he took his sweet time leaving too! Then my "Mama Instinct" kicked in I think.....I NEVER raise my voice but he was screaming at my boyfriend and threatening my furbabies. I screamed back at him and completely told him off and that he'd better keep walking and just stay away from us.

I don't even have the words to describe how crazy this guy was and how mad he made me. He even did this in front of his daughter! And his wife told my boyfriend that he does this all the time. Ummm.....lady, I think you need to get rid of your husband! My boyfriend did a really good job of holding his temper but I was really worried the guy might punch him. And in that case I have little doubt that Kailey would have bitten the guy! I was so scared of him kicking our dogs too....he was out of control enough to do that.

What a mess....stuff like that NEVER happens on our trail! And two minutes later a woman came toward us with her black lab and he had done the exact same thing to her!

Anyway, here's two not so great pics I managed to get of the dogs before we encountered "Mr. I Have Major Anger Issues". I wanted to get some really good outside pics but will just have to try again next weekend. :shrug:

:yell::yell::yell::yell::yell:

RolandsMom
December 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Yikes. It takes all kinds I guess. good on you for giving him a piece of your mind. lol. people like that should absolutly just stay at home and have a dog walker.

hazelrunpack
December 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Some people shouldn't be allowed out in public. :rolleyes:

Sorry you met up with such a jerk, but at least the encounter ended without violence. :grouphug: I hope his family and his dog are as lucky at home if he has such a problem controlling his temper :eek:

It looks like Chase and Kailey were enjoying themselves despite the encounter!

chico2
December 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Yeah,it certainly takes all kinds of crazies to make the world.
Sorry you had such a bad experience,I know how it lingers and makes your day kind of bad.
This guy more than likely is violent with both his dog and his wife,maybe that's why his dog is aggressive:yell:

Chaser
December 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
This guy more than likely is violent with both his dog and his wife,maybe that's why his dog is aggressive:yell:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is abusive at home....there was something seriously wrong with him.

Funny thing was there was not even an issue with the dogs, and his dog didn't even seem to be aggressive to me! He looked fearful but he was gentle and seemed to know our two didn't mean any harm. This problem was 100% with the man, and completely uncalled for. :wall:

But yes, despite everything the dogs had a great run! They loved the lab they met after our "fight" and had met a pair of tiny little terriers earlier on. Kailey LOVES tiny dogs and is so sweet with them, so that made her day :lovestruck:

TeriM
December 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Sorry you had such a bad experience :frustrated: but it looks like Chase and Kailey had a great time anyway :cloud9:. His poor dog is "aggressive" because it is feeding off his energy, I always find in those instances it is best just to get the heck away :shrug:.

babymomma
December 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Although I have to agree that he was waay out of line and should have behaved in a more controlled and mature matter, i too would be uneasy about 2 strange dogs coming towards me and my dog. He didnt know how sweet and gentle chase and kailey are, and sometimes it can be a scary situtation for dog owners not knowing what might happen. Like I said before, He had no right to behave like he did, but I can still see why he was uneasy about it. Honestly, I think if it were My dad, my mom and keely and I , on the walk and the 2 dogs came running towards keely, my father would have gotten defensive not knowing how the dogs would react, including my own. And He would have probably even have tried to scare the dogs away if the didnt respond to the owners call, simply because my mom would probably have a heart attack.

I know people like this, they may seem crazy and like to freak out a bit, but it doesnt mean that they are terribly horrible people that beat there family and dogs. I mean, He obviously cares enough to take family walks with the dog:shrug:

hazelrunpack
December 6th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Good points, babymomma. :o

We should maybe cut him some slack. However, he could have handled the situation a lot better--and if he really thought the area could be dangerous to his dog, he should have taken his walk elsewhere :shrug:

Chaser
December 6th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I see what you mean BM....but I'm not sure you really understand what this guy did. He brought a fearful, "aggressive" dog to an off-leash trail. He got in my boyfriend's face and screamed at him. And he continued to scream at us as he walked away down the trail after our dogs had already shown they were gentle and friendly and were already back on leash at that point. It was outright frightening...not just uneasy or a little defensive. This was about far more than the dogs....it was mentally unstable and I thought he may easily have hurt us or our dogs.

Frenchy
December 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I have to say , I wouldn't like it if 2 unleashed dogs would come to me and my leashed dog. I know Bailey wouldn't do anything , but Nelly probably would.

But of course , I wouldn't react like he did ! :eek:

I hope he's not acting this way with his family and dog :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
December 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I just don't understand why he brought his dog back to an off-leash trail if he expected trouble? :shrug:

babymomma
December 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
However, he could have handled the situation a lot better--and if he really thought the area could be dangerous to his dog, he should have taken his walk elsewhere :shrug:
That is a good point as well..
I see what you mean BM....but I'm not sure you really understand what this guy did. He brought a fearful, "aggressive" dog to an off-leash trail. He got in my boyfriend's face and screamed at him. And he continued to scream at us as he walked away down the trail after our dogs had already shown they were gentle and friendly and were already back on leash at that point. It was outright frightening...not just uneasy or a little defensive. This was about far more than the dogs....it was mentally unstable and I thought he may easily have hurt us or our dogs.
I didnt want to mention this because it is kinda embarrasing. One of my uncles is like this, He isnt a people person and its in his nature to be on guard 24/7 and its like hes in this DEFEND DEFEND DEFEND mode all the time. Im embarrased to be in public with him sometimes. But deep down, he is one of the most caring people I know, and the man your describing sounds just like him. He wouldnt hurt a fly but he sure makes it seem like he would. He loves his family, loves his dogs cats and yes, even the gerbil. Does he seem to get crazy at times? Hell yea. Honestly, I think If this guy wanted to hurt you, your BF or your dogs, he would have then and there. And I think its wrong to even assume that he would hurt any member of his fsamily including his dog without knowing all the facts.

Chaser
December 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Just to clarify: this is a designated, clearly signed OFF-LEASH hiking trail I'm talking about. There are dozens of trails in the immediate area where families tend to walk and leashed dogs are welcome.

I wouldn't let our dogs run free on a trail that wasn't designated for it. That would be completely ignorant and we'd probably deserve what we got.

babymomma
December 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I just don't understand why he brought his dog back to an off-leash trail if he expected trouble? :shrug:

I dunno, maybe he missed a sign and didnt know it was an off leash part, which could clear it up a tiny bit of why he flew off the handle when 2 unleashed dogs came towards him:shrug: By the sounds of it, he doesnt visit that place often, because it seems as iff Chase_mom hasnt seen hm before:shrug: Again, I dunno, but here may be a ton of reasons involved:shrug:

Chaser
December 6th, 2008, 09:46 PM
And I think its wrong to even assume that he would hurt any member of his fsamily including his dog without knowing all the facts.

That's true, and I should watch what I say. As a social worker I'm not usually judgmental like that....I think I'm reacting badly because he scared me so much. We were in the middle of the woods and I felt totally helpless. :sad: :shrug:

Chaser
December 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM
By the sounds of it, he doesnt visit that place often, because it seems as iff Chase_mom hasnt seen hm before:shrug: Again, I dunno, but here may be a ton of reasons involved:shrug:

All I know is HIS dog was off-leash....but apparently ours weren't allowed to be.

babymomma
December 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I think I'm reacting badly because he scared me so much. We were in the middle of the woods and I felt totally helpless. :sad: :shrug:

Trust me, ive been there, and the helpless feeling doesnt feel nice. And I can tottally understand why you didnt like how he reacted (i dont think anybody would have) But, its nice to be able to sit back, take a few breaths rationalize it andf try to see it from his point of veiw. I dont know if ive insulted you by trying to defend him a little, but i truley didnt mean anything by it.

babymomma
December 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM
All I know is HIS dog was off-leash....but apparently ours weren't allowed to be.

Lol, dont hate me for saying this but...

Remember how we react to people that take there dogs to off leash parks and there dogs seem to be out of control and the owners dont seem to be trying to take control and how much we hate it and want to tell the owners offf, weellll.. Maybe, just maybe, it seemed to him, by his standards, that your dogs werent being controlled (Im not trying to say that you werent controlling your dogs or that your dogs were out of control, but you know how peoples minds work differently from ours). and myabe the fact that they didnt go to you when called made his frustration esculate a bit. Im just trying to t hink what was accually runnign through his mind that made him reactyt in the matter that he did. There could be tonns of reasons. :shrug:

Chaser
December 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Maybe that was his perception, I don't know. What I do know is that nearly all the people we meet on that trail compliment us on our dogs and their behaviour. Now I'm terrified to go back in case we ever see him again...but Kailey and Chase love our hike every week so I feel awful about ending it for them.

I think I'd like to drop it regardless. I just wanted to come here to vent because it usually helps me feel better about things. I'm actually just feeling worse talking about this.

hazelrunpack
December 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Maybe that was his perception, I don't know. What I do know is that nearly all the people we meet on that trail compliment us on our dogs and their behaviour. Now I'm terrified to go back in case we ever see him again...but Kailey and Chase love our hike every week so I feel awful about ending it for them.

I think I'd like to drop it regardless. I just wanted to come here to vent because it usually helps me feel better about things. I'm actually just feeling worse talking about this.

The bottom line is that you were where you were supposed to be to have your dog off leash, and regardless of his perceptions, if he didn't trust his dog or others off leash, he shouldn't have been there. And to have reacted as he did just made matters worse. :grouphug: His dog will pick up on his body language and everyone else's who happens to be reacting to this guy...not a good situation. He should never have brought his dog there.

Don't let him keep you from something you love...but if your cell phone takes video, you might want to have it ready in case you see him again. :o

glasslass
December 7th, 2008, 03:58 AM
In a totally different setting, this type of behaviour is also called 'Road Rage". Different setting, same lack of control, and yes, this type of personality can be irrational and dangerous. These individuals usually escalate in intensity and I'm afraid should be avoided, not confronted. Likely he was enraged that his dog wasn't being aggressive or macho enough to his way of thinking.

Tundra_Queen
December 7th, 2008, 04:13 AM

I'm sorry about your experience on the trail. I think u did everything right! He shouldn't of been there seeing as the trail was clearly marked OFF Leash and he didn't want strange dogs coming up to his dog. I would of been very scared too!

It's too bad u didn't get a picture of him, in case he assaulted your dogs.

Hopefully, you won't see him again, but if u do try and take a picture without him seeing u, or have a good reason handy for taking it. Just a thought. You were a good Momma, u were protecting your furkids!

Debbie

14+kitties
December 7th, 2008, 07:39 AM
So sorry you had such a traumatic experience. :grouphug: But we did get to see a couple of pics of your two angels!! :thumbs up

Kashi
December 7th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Do you have a cell phone ? I do, and I'd have called the police when he got in our faces and didn't back off. And heck - with a camera, I'd have a photo of the screaming guy to give to the police.

ancientgirl
December 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Geez, sounds like that guy was having a low lithium day. If he's afraid his dog would attack, why was he there and why would he not have just asked you politely before Chase or Kailey even got near his dog? What a bonehead.

CaptainOlimar
December 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Just to clarify: this is a designated, clearly signed OFF-LEASH hiking trail I'm talking about. There are dozens of trails in the immediate area where families tend to walk and leashed dogs are welcome.

I wouldn't let our dogs run free on a trail that wasn't designated for it. That would be completely ignorant and we'd probably deserve what we got.

I was just going to mention this. It's a off leash trail/park! I personally wouldn't take my dog to an off leash area because you just never know what's going to happen.

This guy's a bully and I think the op is lucky he didn't start punching.

BlueBreeze
December 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM

I was going to answer differently until you mentioned it was a designated off leash trail.
I have a sheltie who doesn't like other dogs bounding up into her space and she's not fond of large dogs at all. We were in the woods and an old lap jogged up. I just stepped in front of my dog and asked the owner (a few feet away) to call his dog as mine is unsure of herself. LOL, of course his lab is ignoring his calls, but he was very laid back and didn't try to pass me to see my dog.

I would never take my dog to off leash places--she can't handle it. :)

TacoGrl
December 7th, 2008, 10:19 PM
It seems too many folks now days are so stressed they snap without cause...sadly, the stress is mostly self-induced. :sad:

I have met folks like this too and I think "They need a hug", but I don't hug them cuz I would probably have to take them home with me and I don't share my meds with ANYONE! :D

I think it also has to do with the media (cliche, but read on)...they play on the folks who are nervous to start with and play up to their feers and make them worse...folks can't think for themselves anymore living in their cocoons and when something challenges them, they don't know how to react appropriately...they just react and all their stress comes out in this reaction.