Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy's forgotten where to pee

DudleyDud!
July 26th, 2004, 01:32 AM
My 4 1/2 month old puppy has been very reliable with peeing on his pee pads (we live in an apartment) since he was 3 months old. Just these few days he has been peeing on the carpet right in front of us and even when we direct him to his pad he moves away to pee somewhere else. He's currently on a course of antibiotics (Clavamox) as he just had a tooth extracted. I don't think it's UTI as he doesn't seem to be peeing more often than usual and his pee is clear and there's a lot of it at any one time! He's drinking water, usually drinks a lot anyway. Is it a case of the antibiotics working or is it a case of having to retrain him again?

moontamara
July 26th, 2004, 03:04 AM
When my puppy wasn't feeling well he seemed to have forgotten all his training too.

Spoiled
July 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Why is your dog not house trained? Just a question.

Have you moved the pee pad around lately? He might not know quite where to find it, and at only 4 and 1/2 months his bladder might not have a strong enough muscle.
Have you scolded him for going to the bathroom in a different place? He might be moving away from the pee pad to a different place where you can't see him so you can't scold him.
Was he in pain when he was peeing before? Dogs usualy tend to stay away from a place where painful things were happening before.
Have you changed your dog's pee pad often? He might just not want to pee in a smelly place.

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Why is he not housebroken yet??

heidiho
July 27th, 2004, 06:03 PM
OOPS,Just seen spoiled asked the same thing.

DudleyDud!
July 27th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Well, I got him papertrained as an alternative to peeing outdoors because I live in a small apartment and it's not convenient to bring him down for a pee everytime as the management has strict rules about pets having to be carried on and off the grounds at all times. That being said, he does go on grass when we are outdoors and he does prefer to poop on the lawn.

His pee pad has not been shifted in position since day 1 and I change it once or twice a day depending on how wet it gets. I doubt he's in pain because he jumps, plays and seems perfectly fine. I have never scolded him for peeing on the rug but just make a disappointed sound and carry him to the proper place to pee. When he does pee in the proper place I praise and pet him. Anyway, I have been keeping a closer eye on him these couple of days and he has not made a single mistake. In fact, this morning he ran as fast as his little legs to could carry him to his pee pad!

moontamara
July 28th, 2004, 02:41 AM
I love that "disappointed sound" thing. I can totally imagine it! I live in an apartment too and also haven't had the luxury of total housebreaking (we're 3 months, and I'm starting the full time crate training housebreaking now that the rainy season is over!) Good luck!