Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Relocating....Need some answers

NoahGrey
December 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hello,

I have been thinking of moving out west. Calgary area. Want to be closest to Banff and Lake Louise:) I would love to live in Banff, but the odds of that not great. But who knows?

I have applied to a few Vet hospital jobs, at various positions. There are no Animal Protection currently open in Calgary. I figure if I can get to Calgary first, it will be easier to find employment in the AP field opens up.

Anyone tell me about the Calgary Animal Services? I believe the city of Calgary does Animal Control? How about the Calgary Humane Society?

They also have the Calgary Wildlife Rehab center that I would love to work at too:)

Any help is much appricated.

ACO22

Karin
December 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Hello,

I have been thinking of moving out west. Calgary area. Want to be closest to Banff and Lake Louise:) I would love to live in Banff, but the odds of that not great. But who knows?

I have applied to a few Vet hospital jobs, at various positions. There are no Animal Protection currently open in Calgary. I figure if I can get to Calgary first, it will be easier to find employment in the AP field opens up.

Anyone tell me about the Calgary Animal Services? I believe the city of Calgary does Animal Control? How about the Calgary Humane Society?

They also have the Calgary Wildlife Rehab center that I would love to work at too:)

Any help is much appricated.

ACO22

I know this may be way far away from what you are looking for, but Marion County (Where I use to work Rabies & Animal Control) and Alachua County (Gainesville) have been advertising for help in your positions. Not everybody wants to move to Florida, this is the complete opposite of your moving criteria.

www.myworkplaceflorida.com , I think this is the website for the florida worksite, I may be wrong, I have it saved to favorites. I will correct it in the am if I wrong but you can easily google it too.
P.S. Wildlife rehab is very needed here. I do what I can . We all do.

NoahGrey
December 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks Karin,

But I think I would need to get a work visa though. And I know those are hard to come by. I will look into it though.

Thanks for the heads up.

ACO22

NoahGrey
December 5th, 2008, 10:31 AM
What is Marion Country's euth rate? Do they also deal with stray/feral cats? Also I can't find a link to employment on the Alachua County website.

Thanks,

ACO22

sugarcatmom
December 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM
There's an awesome facility in Canmore (Bow Valley SPCA (http://www.bowvalleyspca.org/aboutus.php?pg=mission)) with a no-kill, no-cage philosophy. Not sure if they have any positions available but it might be worth looking into.

The Cochrane Humane Society (http://www.cochranehumane.ca/html/about/about.htm) is also supposed to be very good, but I have no idea if they're no-kill. Cochrane Animal Services might be another option.

NoahGrey
December 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM
There's an awesome facility in Canmore (Bow Valley SPCA (http://www.bowvalleyspca.org/aboutus.php?pg=mission)) with a no-kill, no-cage philosophy. Not sure if they have any positions available but it might be worth looking into.

The Cochrane Humane Society (http://www.cochranehumane.ca/html/about/about.htm) is also supposed to be very good, but I have no idea if they're no-kill. Cochrane Animal Services might be another option.

Thanks SCM. Now, I just hope that if they need positions filled, they are willing to hire someone who has to relocate.

ACO22

Karin
December 5th, 2008, 11:43 PM
What is Marion Country's euth rate? Do they also deal with stray/feral cats? Also I can't find a link to employment on the Alachua County website.

Thanks,

ACO22

I tried to post earlier but got bumped off line. When I worked for MCRAC I was euthanizing 300 + a week, adoptions were about 4 per month. It was sad.
Times have changed. They have built a new adoption center and they also have a great program for the spay/neuter clinic, their very own clinic too!
AND...they have the "Neuter Commuter"...this is a 40' diesel pusher bus conformed into a moving hospital for low cost spay/neuter and all testing with vax's. They set up around the county monthly on schedule which is posted. (appointments are needed). Last time I checked the price for all was $25 .
I am not going to the state website I posted earlier right now due to a news report today that said the site was hacked and all members, (including me) information of the sensitive type was made public. I was assured all will be fine by Monday.
Marion County is a large, State Forrest county, we deal a lot with wildlife and rabies is high, (raccoons are #1)
Please check out Marion Co. website and Marion County Animal Center.

Luvmypitgirls
December 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM
ACO22,

The City of Calgary, is hoping to be "no kill" within the next 4 years, they also help rescue Pitbulls from Ontario if possible. They do work with the Pit rescue I volunteered for.

Can't tell you much about the Calgary SPCA.

There is a animal hospital, called the Care Center, if you are interested in info about them I would be glad to research it for you. I have a friend that used to work there so I can get numbers and such for you if you want.

Cochrane is also a wonderful facility, as far as I know they try very hard not to euth, and will exhaust all other options before considering euthing an animal.
Canmore, very close to Banff, is a very expensive place to live.

There are a few clinics where I live in Airdrie, which is 10 mins North of Calgary. I could collect info about them for you as well if you so wish.

sugarcatmom
December 7th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Canmore, very close to Banff, is a very expensive place to live.

Yup, but so is Calgary!!!

Karin
December 7th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Just checked, the Alachua County animal control job is still open. ( There may be more than one) Also, at the University Of Florida Vet Hospital. (I applied!)
AC is starting at $18.42 per hour min. and up based on experience. UF is not a bad place to work either, great benefits too!
Check out the Florida work site again. You can apply on line.

NoahGrey
December 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

ACO22