Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

TO ALL MEMBERS...Another Animal Tidbbit

NoahGrey
December 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Hey guys,

Thought I would throw out another tidbit for everyone. I am sure most of you know this, but though I would post it anyway.

Boxes on the side of road, in ditches...

Now if you are like me, EVERYTIME I see a box on the side of the road or in a ditch I ALWAYS pull over and see if there are kittens inside. Usually they are kittens, but of course sometimes puppies.

So please, when seeing a Box on the side of the road/ditch..please pull over when safely to do so and check. You never know you might just be saving a litter of babies.

ALSO: On the wildlife side. If you see a opossme on the road, always check the pouch to see if there are babies in it.

ACO22

ACO22

AmericanBullMom
December 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I like your post:thumbs up, But with the Opossum one, just make sure Momma Opossum is really not of the living anymore, becuase they are NASTY buggers and they CAN and DO "play Possum" a bite from one would be VERY bad!

BenMax
December 4th, 2008, 09:30 AM
ACO22 - Infact I am almost obsessed with checking boxes and garbage bags. I did find one puppy that was in the bag for a long time in summer heat and his skin fell off. Unfortunately PTS but at least no longer suffering.

As for wildlife - I have never thought of that - but very good point.

Thanks for the thread - it can save lives!:thumbs up

NoahGrey
December 4th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I like your post:thumbs up, But with the Opossum one, just make sure Momma Opossum is really not of the living anymore, becuase they are NASTY buggers and they CAN and DO "play Possum" a bite from one would be VERY bad!

True. They are truly amazing creatures. Sometimes I wish I could play dead as real as they do *L*

ACO22

Love4himies
December 4th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I thought I was the only one who thought of the possibility of litters in boxes and bags on the side of the road.

Thanks for letting us know. Some people are so cruel :sad:

Leigh Vitalone
December 4th, 2008, 09:51 AM
That is good advice. Quite awhile back I had a friend that found two pups, not by looking, just coincidence. They were in a box in a ditch. Now even when driving I keep my eyes open.

NoahGrey
December 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
it can save lives!:thumbs up

:) I remember a few years back, I was working for another SPCA. Joggers came across a cat carrier in a ditch, door was open and up came a little white cat. The ********S who threw in the cat in the ditch..must of thought they even though they threw the cat into the ditch, they must have thought they were doing good by putting some of the goldfish crackers in it's carrier:censored:

The joggers call the SPCA and I headed out there. The cat was scared but very sweet. Did I mention that it was dumped right across from a farm...go figure.

I got lots of cat/kitten left in boxes stories. Very sad.

ACO22

BenMax
December 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM
We just recently found a momma with a broken leg and her 2 pups in a rural area. The pups were about 4 weeks old. Good ending to the story is the pups were adopted but mom is still waiting for her forever family. What kind of people do things like this?

NoahGrey
December 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
We just recently found a momma with a broken leg and her 2 pups in a rural area.

I had a mom cat and her 5 kittens living under someones deck. The lady who owned the house, mangaged to get mom inside her house. I get there, and noticed that mom's hind leg has a old break in her leg. Leg was sticking straight out.

I finally managed to get mom and her kittens. Mom is currently in foster care, waiting to get her leg amputated. Kittens are at the shelter.

ACO22

BenMax
December 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I had a mom cat and her 5 kittens living under someones deck. The lady who owned the house, mangaged to get mom inside her house. I get there, and noticed that mom's hind leg has a old break in her leg. Leg was sticking straight out.

I finally managed to get mom and her kittens. Mom is currently in foster care, waiting to get her leg amputated. Kittens are at the shelter.

ACO22

Thank DOG for that woman for not ignoring and you for helping. I just placed a young cat with a broken shoulder. Unbelievable how many stories that are out there. I live in my own little world and I sometimes forget that others are seeing just as much as myself. What burns me is how many people SEE but refuse to intervene when they could. How do people look the other way? I don't understand that.

Longblades
December 5th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Yes, we do too, ever since neighbours noticed suspicious movement in a box as they bicycled by. Four kittens inside, just about to escape. Mom and daughter stayed to guard the kittens while Pop frantically pedalled home to get the car. All kittens were used to people and one had a hole through it's throat, sort of like a BB gun pellet hole, which seemed to cause it no trouble. Neighbours were incredibly lucky and found homes for all four.

NoahGrey
December 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
one had a hole through it's throat, sort of like a BB gun pellet hole, which seemed to cause it no trouble. Neighbours were incredibly lucky and found homes for all four.

Thanks for taking these guys in. But I have to comment on your quote, particulary your comment about that the hole in the neck did not cause no trouble.

I hope you took ALL of the kittens to a vet, and the one with the hole in the neck to a vet RIGHT away. Trust me, the hole in the neck...did cause it trouble, it was probably very painful and I can guratee that this kitten needed a good flush out of the wound and either stiched up or surgery. It is like if you had a hole in your neck.

ACO22

Longblades
December 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
OK, here's the second part to that story, that I left out for the sake of brevity. Neighbour's wife's co-worker's husband was a Veterinarian and by chance Vet and wife had just bought a farm. All four kittens went to live with them on the farm. A stroke of amazing good luck for any who have tried to rehome one stray, let alone four. You can be assured all the kittens received the utmost in quality care.

As for the hole, I saw it as the kittens had just been retreived from the box when my pooch and I went by and neighbour (a Police Officer) thought it looked like a BB gun sized hole but it turned out to be mostly superficial. Perhaps saying it was through the throat was not right, it was on the throat area.

Yes, you are right to point out that strays are often in dire need of Veterinary attention. Thanks, I should have said so.

Mat&Murph
December 5th, 2008, 01:39 PM
One time we found a small litter of kittens at the side of the road. And they had got out of the box and we almost hit them. Lucky my husband was able to miss them. We took them to a friend that does fostering and they were fine and found forever homes

chico2
December 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Like L4H,I too thought I was the only one checking out boxes and yes,even garbage-bags found in odd places,I have to tell hubby,I am not alone at being a bit off the wall as far as animals are concerned.
So far I have never found anything with any animal in it:fingerscr
Good Point ACO:thumbs up

Stacer
December 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I think about it everytime I see a box or large container. I'm so afraid to look inside for fear of what I might find. I work in Toronto, so I could find just about anything disgusting and repulsive imaginable. I usually make a willing co-worker look. So far so good.

Etown_Chick
December 5th, 2008, 07:30 PM
On a more grisly note, watch what your dog finds! One fuzzy fellow found a dead body by our dog park this week. Ick.
Would much rather find a box of kitties.

kathryn
December 5th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Uck...

Just a few days ago I was at Target and apparently there had been a lady outfront giving away kittens :frustrated: A mom and daughter were franctically asking everyone in the pet department (where I was browsing around) how to care for a kitten. They were going to take one from the lady. I told them honestly, I wouldn't do it since they had another cat and had absolutely no idea what they were in for. I would have felt bad if the kitten ended up having something and you know, had to be euthanized or got their other cat sick (the girl was about 7 or 8 so it would have not been such a great experience obviously). So they listened to me and opted to go tell the lady to bring them to a shelter because there was no reason to be afraid of them (around here atleast). That's the reason she was giving them away out of the box... she was afraid of shelters!

So that makes alot of sense... hand out kittens to random strangers outfront of Target because a shelter *might*..... humanely euthanize them?

Sadly, I was not able to locate the woman or the kittens after I rushed outside moments later. :sad: I searched the parking lot and even came back about 45 minutes later to check again.

And it was confirmed a true story by a woman I know who volunteers for another shelter in the area... her husband and daughter were there when it happened.
:yell:

people are such idiots.

Longblades
December 6th, 2008, 08:49 AM
found a dead bodyYou mean a human body?

Etown_Chick
December 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Yep. Human. Gang-related but still...scary stuff.