Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skijoring fun and mishaps

Gail P
December 3rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
While I was sledding, my daughter was skijoring
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/IMG_6519.jpg

until....oops, she lost her dog when she took a tumble. Flash decided to slip his harness and become a free spirit running ahead of us on the trail.

Caught!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/IMG_6511.jpg

Flurry and Lightning wait patiently as I hold Flash until my daughter brings his harness over to us.

Everything turned out okay in the end
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Newer%20dog%20pics/IMG_6522.jpg

badger
December 4th, 2008, 01:29 AM
That looks like so much fun. Beautiful pictures.

Gail P
December 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
It is a lot of fun. Can't wait for the racing season to start and also for the lakes to freeze up, they're good to run the dogs on too. I keep a trail maintained around my property but they get bored after a while if they always run on the same trail and do the same loops over and over. It's nice to have other places to go and mix it up and with the lakes we can work on distance without doing multiple loops. The only problem with that is the lakes are flat and the race trails aren't. But, we work on different things in different places and with the adjoining loops at my place they provide lots of opportunity to work on commands for turning. (Gee, haw, on by or on through etc.) also I get together with friends every now and then to work on passing other teams, trying to give the dogs as much exposure to things they'll see in a race setting as possible.

Scuba
December 4th, 2008, 01:48 PM
That looks like tons of fun. You are so lucky to have all the snow! But it is probably better that you have all the snow, I have been able to continue bicycling this winter in Vancouver with the fairly mild weather.

I do have one question, is skijoring like cross country skiing but with a dog pulling you as well?

Gail P
December 5th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I do have one question, is skijoring like cross country skiing but with a dog pulling you as well?

That's exactly what it is. You can either skate ski or do classic, or if you happen to be my daughter you can let the dog(s) do most of the work and just double pole :laughing: All you need is a skijoring belt with a towline and bungee section (a shock absorber to reduce jerking on you) and a harness for your dog. Many of the sprint races have skijoring classes that you can enter with one or two dogs.

hazelrunpack
December 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM
All you need is a skijoring belt with a towline and bungee section (a shock absorber to reduce jerking on you) and a harness for your dog.

In hazel's case, you'd have to add three casts, a splint and probably a halo :rolleyes: She doesn't have a lot of coordination and in the end always shows an afinity for trees :o :eek:

:laughing:

But gads, that looks like fun!!! Everyone looks so happy!! :cloud9: Dogs, people...the snow looks cheerful and bright! I can feel the crisp air just looking at those pics! :goodvibes: ( <----------hazel doing her happy dance)

I love winter sports...although mine involves slow snow shoeing (and I still run into the occasional tree... :o)

Gail P
December 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM
In hazel's case, you'd have to add three casts, a splint and probably a halo :rolleyes: She doesn't have a lot of coordination and in the end always shows an afinity for trees :o :eek:

:laughing:

But gads, that looks like fun!!! Everyone looks so happy!! :cloud9: Dogs, people...the snow looks cheerful and bright! I can feel the crisp air just looking at those pics! :goodvibes: ( <----------hazel doing her happy dance)

I love winter sports...although mine involves slow snow shoeing (and I still run into the occasional tree... :o)

Ah yes, snowshoeing. I've done lots of that myself. DH just bought me my skidoo for Christmas last year that I use to pack and groom my trail but before that I was hoofing it around on snowshoes to compact the snow and dragging a bale of hay on a plastic utility sled. I'd always go at least twice, usually three times around the whole thing to make the trail wider. Now I put the sled behind the skidoo to smooth out the track marks and go around about 4 or 5 times. It's like a dogsled highway around our fields, though the bush trail isn't quite as wide, it's only about 3 sled widths. It's nice for it to be really wide for when I have friends over with their dogs teams, it gives us room to work on teaching the dogs to pass other teams without ending up floundering in deep unpacked snow beside the trail.

TeriM
December 6th, 2008, 01:04 AM
That's exactly what it is. You can either skate ski or do classic, or if you happen to be my daughter you can let the dog(s) do most of the work and just double pole :laughing: All you need is a skijoring belt with a towline and bungee section (a shock absorber to reduce jerking on you) and a harness for your dog. Many of the sprint races have skijoring classes that you can enter with one or two dogs.

Great pics :lovestruck:. We do a lot of cross country skiing and have seen some people doing skijoring. I am very tempted to try this with Riley, I think he would have a total blast. We usually do a week ski holiday in Feb and we are looking to take him this year so maybe I'll finally give it a try :D.

growler~GateKeeper
December 7th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Great pic Gail :thumbs up so much fun! :cloud9:

Flurry looks like he's takin' to the sled :thumbs up How are he & Lightning getting along as running mates?

Teri - you'll just hafta make sure Riley doesn't attempt a take-off into the bush :rolleyes: :D

Gail P
December 7th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Great pic Gail :thumbs up so much fun! :cloud9:

Flurry looks like he's takin' to the sled :thumbs up How are he & Lightning getting along as running mates?

Teri - you'll just hafta make sure Riley doesn't attempt a take-off into the bush :rolleyes: :D

They do really well together. Sometimes a little snarking at first but then they settle down. Lightning is a very vocal dog, barking and yelping to get going, plus he snarls and shows his teeth like he's going to eat the face off the dog beside him. It's all show though, he doesn't actually do anything physical to other dog. But, it can affect the others in other ways. When Thunder was young and I was running just the two dogs he didn't like to run right up beside Lightning, he preferred to go behind him, or even just slightly offset but now he's gained confidence and doesn't care. Storm doesn't really care one way or the other if I put him beside Lightning, but him and Thunder are super beside each other so I run them both in wheel. Rain is a bundle of energy and she will sometimes nip at Lightning when they get hooked up. She's getting better but she used to cause some tangles between the nipping and turning around to see what I'm doing. Flurry doesn't take Lightning snarking, he gives it right back with teeth and I've had to pull him off a few times before he began to settle down. Doesn't much matter what the dynamics are during hookup though, once they're moving it's all about the running and they line out really nice, stay where they belong and behave themselves. A couple of funny things though, when Thunder was younger if there was a tangle he'd blame the dog beside him and lay into them, now we rarely have any tangles and he just waits for me to sort it out if there is. Also, Lightning is a good leader who knows his commands (gee, haw, on by, whoa etc.) and since he runs on the left side it makes haw (left) turns easy but he has to push the right dog into a gee turn. He'll do that with Rain beside him, and when Thunder ran beside him but he's not yet pushing Flurry into the turn, instead he'll drop back behind him and jump over the line to switch sides. Flurry's starting to get the idea though, I think he has potential to be another good command leader. Lightning's great, if he's ever not sure of a turn he'll look back to me and I point the way I want him to go and say the command again and then he takes it. Sometimes when we are approaching a turn or "intersection" where my trail loops join he'll hesitate a bit and look back to me if I haven't already issued a command.

growler~GateKeeper
December 12th, 2008, 12:35 AM
he's not yet pushing Flurry into the turn, instead he'll drop back behind him and jump over the line to switch sides. Flurry's starting to get the idea though, I think he has potential to be another good command leader. Lightning's great, if he's ever not sure of a turn he'll look back to me and I point the way I want him to go and say the command again and then he takes it. Sometimes when we are approaching a turn or "intersection" where my trail loops join he'll hesitate a bit and look back to me if I haven't already issued a command.

:laughing: Does Lightning jump the line back to the left side directly after making the turn or does he wait until you've got a haw turn coming up?

I guess it's good he's not pushing Flurry into the turns since Flurry gives as good as he gets snarly-wise :laughing: Shouldn't take Flurry too long to learn his directions though, he's young & eager to learn ;)

Gail P
December 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
:laughing: Does Lightning jump the line back to the left side directly after making the turn or does he wait until you've got a haw turn coming up?

I guess it's good he's not pushing Flurry into the turns since Flurry gives as good as he gets snarly-wise :laughing: Shouldn't take Flurry too long to learn his directions though, he's young & eager to learn ;)

Lightning doesn't jump back over until a haw turn. It would actually be better for him to start pushing Flurry into the turns, Flurry's not growly then it's only during hookup that they all get barky and a little crazy. Once they're running they settle down. Last time I ran Flurry he was starting to take some of the gee turns, not sure if he was really getting the hang of it yet or if it happened by accident since he seemed to have his nose down sniffing a bit (probably scenting that I'd already run the 4 dogs around the trail just before him). Whatever the reason, he got lots of praise for going into the turn nice and smooth :thumbs up