Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are mushrooms bad for dogs??

BusterBoo
December 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
So....I was sitting having a nice rib steak, with sauteed mushrooms (in just a bit of garlic..).... the phone rang, I answered it and turned around to see my darling Buster snarfing down my steak and mushrooms!!! Of course, he didn't touch the veggies or the bread or the glass of wine!!!!....but the steak and mushroom were gone! so....are mushrooms bad for dogs?

I think I will get a bowl of cereal......for some reason....I am still hungry :D

totallyhip
December 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Yes mushrooms are not good for dogs. Some are worst than others. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he is okay. Some other common foods to be aware of.

• Chocolate & Caffeine
• Onions
• Grapes & Raisins
• Avocados
• Pits of most fruits
• Macadamia nuts
• Mushrooms

BusterBoo
December 3rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Oh great! He had probably less than 1/4 cup of thinly sliced white mushrooms..

We did the $400 Vet visit last month for raisins....sure hope it's not a rush visit to the Vet's tonight :frustrated:

Winston
December 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
I wouldnt worry too much..just keep an eye on him.. I never thought a mushroom would hurt them?? I think I have given Winston a mushroom or 2 before :eek:

sugarcatmom
December 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
White mushrooms aren't a problem. When they put mushrooms on the "toxic" lists, they're referring to wild mushrooms that a dog might eat while outside.

kathryn
December 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Well, I've never seen it in any kind of petfood, but I've also never seen on a list of poisonous things. It could go either way really. I'd just keep an eye on him.

And for future reference, when you have pets, you pick the plate up and bring it with you :laughing: Unless you are running to the bathroom or something.. otherwise I carry my food around the house with me!! (and I only have cats!)

hazelrunpack
December 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
The white ones that we humans partake of seem to be okay for dogs. Ours have stolen a few over the years, too...

Most of the ones they find in the yard they eat without problem, too...but there's one variety that has sent two of them in two separate years to the vet for an overnight IV flush and observation, then followup organ function tests. :frustrated: I'd love to know which mushroom it is, but it's evidently not common and once they've eaten them there is, of course, no evidence left :o

BusterBoo
December 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Well, so far so good.....he is pretty much his normal self....eat, drink, bark....bark....bark...bark...

As long as nothing happens during the night, I will just try and remember to carry my food with me when I leave the table! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
If they were poisonous, he'd likely be showing signs already. When Ridge gets into the bad ones, her eyes dilate and her coordination goes within an hour.

BusterBoo
December 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
If they were poisonous, he'd likely be showing signs already. When Ridge gets into the bad ones, her eyes dilate and her coordination goes within an hour.

Whew....well, then I can relax....he is showing no signs of distress....just his normal self....not sure if it is because of the quantity or the variety that he ate, but i will definitely be keeping an eye on my dinner from now on! :D

Frenchy
December 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
I could send you Nelly for a few days , she's great at training people to not leave any food ANYWHERE , not that she likes to steal but access is easy for her. :laughing:

I'm sure Buster will be ok :goodvibes:

want4rain
December 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mushrooms/mushroom/poisonous.htm

:)

-ash

totallyhip
December 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Thats great that he's okay. I'm sure he will be fine now.

BenMax
December 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Great 'to know' list. I did not know about advocatos. Thanks for the heads up Totallyhip.