Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccines and hairballs

ancientgirl
December 3rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
I took Vlad and Oksana in on Monday to get their yearly rabies shot. When I got there they told me they were due for their distemper shot too. So, I decided to just give them the distemper and wait until January for the rabies. I gave Vlad the Xanax the vet had given me so he'd be calmer.

It turns out he was still ornery and quite hissy, but he was much calmer than the last time and he wasn't at all loopy. No screaming and she was able to actually examine and pet him. He still looked angry, but I'm happy that the pill calmed him down enough so he wasn't as stressed as last time. I felt terrible for him, he was so afraid. Oksana, wasn't thrilled but she was still not as bad as Vlad.

Yesterday I took Czari in for her rabies shot. She was sooooo good. She was nervous, but no meowing, hissing, nothing. She's the calmest of the gang when I take her in. When I brought her in in June, her teeth were terrible and she had all kinds of problems with her gums. I've been putting Biotene in their water and since she's been indoors she's not had any dry food, just canned and a few treats nightly like the others. The vet said her mouth was in much better shape. I still need to get her in for some dental work, but it's not as critical as it was before.

So, in January I have to take in Vlad and Oksana for their rabies, and Maks and Kiska for their distemper and rabies.

The really great news is and this sounds odd, but I'm happy to see some hairballs popping up. In the last 2 weeks I've seen quite a few, and I'm hoping they are from Oksana, since she's the one who seems to have the most problems with them. I've been giving them all the coconut oil regularly and I think that's helping. I put some on a plate and let Oksana lick some off, and she loves it. So much better than the Laxatone which she hated and I had to chase her down to get on her paw. Vlad likes it too, so he licks some, and Maks will have a few licks. Kiska and Czari aren't as enamored with it, but they have a lick or two now and then.

I know, it's pretty weird, I'm happy to see hairballs, but I know it can be very bad for them to not expel them so better out than in! I'm sure though it's because of the daily use of the coconut oil!

Tundra_Queen
December 4th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Hi
Where do u get the coconut oil from? I just use a lick stick on Willie I get from Walmart and I guess he poops them out as I hardly ever see a throw up hair ball. But I don't know what is in the lick stick I get. I just know when I ask him if he wants a lick stick he comes a running and I don't have to fight with him.

Debbie

14+kitties
December 4th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Great about Czari's teeth. :thumbs up It's always good to have a little pressure taken off you.
Why are the kitties getting rabies? If they are indoor kitties only they shouldn't need it, should they? Is it mandatory? Sorry, I am full of questions today. Just curious.
I'm glad Vlad's nervousness was more managable this time. Poor fella' :grouphug:

ancientgirl
December 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
TG, I get my coconut oil at a vitamin shop. It's 100% organic extra virgin coconut oil. Oksana won't eat any of those other hair ball remedies. This is the only thing she was drawn to so I'm sticking with it.

14+, I should ask my vet then. She knows they are all indoor cats, and as a matter of fact, I bypassed the FVRP one, the leukemia one I think, because she said if they were all indoors all the time it was not necessary, as that is something mostly found in strays and outdoor cats that aren't vaccinated. :shrug: I'll talk to her about it when I take her my holiday card.

Jim Hall
December 4th, 2008, 09:44 AM
how much do you give them i might try it with DU

ancientgirl
December 4th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Jim, I'd have to look at the bottle when I get home. The pill I have I split in half, then split the half in half. So I give him a quarter of the pill and it worked well for him. Like I said, he was still hissy, and he wasn't dopey and loopy, but just more cooperative.