Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Meaford SPCA..

NoahGrey
December 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Just heard this on the news. Don't have alot but here is a tidbit. I am sure we will hear more.

Meaford SPCA busted a puppy mill. They siezed 100 dogs and a cat.

Just found a link:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081202/hundred_dogs_0811202/20081202/?hub=TorontoNewHome

ACO22

diandpat
December 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
"If convicted, the accused could face up to two years in prison, a $60,000 fine and lifetime ban from pet ownership, she said."

Wow, though it still doesn't seem like enough it sure is a Helluva LOT better than substandard "punishment" in Quebec. NO jail time and a minimal fine.:wall::wall::wall:

How come we can't get stricter punishment in Quebec?????:shrug:

So nice that they were able to get the poor souls out and hopefully they will all be on their way to loving furever families soon.:highfive:

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
:wall::wall: :mad: :sad: Some humans are filth :sad:

14+kitties
December 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
One less puppy mill in the Bruce-Grey area. :thumbs up

BenMax
December 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
No I did not know. One less - it appears our provinces are on a roll...let's keep it going..:thumbs up

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
What would be nice is for the media to report where the puppies of these abused mommmas and daddies were being sold at :evil:

rainbow
December 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
What would also be nice is if the a-holes got the maximum sentence.

Chris21711
December 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
What would also be nice is if the a-holes got the maximum sentence.

That'll be the Day (Buddy Holly) Let's just see how far Ontarios new laws will go with this one. I for one, won't hold my breath :rolleyes:

NoahGrey
December 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
"We're decades behind the rest of Canada," OSPCA chief inspector Hugh Coghill said yesterday. "We have the worst provincial legislation in the country."

Lets see if this new legislation actually gets acted on. Like I have said in the past on these boards...Ontario has the worst Animal Cruelty laws. And for once, I agree with what Mr. Coghill has to say. But, he really needs to retire.

ACO22

Chris21711
December 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
But, he really needs to retire.

ACO22

Why do you say that?

NoahGrey
December 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Why do you say that?

I'll just say that I am not the only one who thinks this. I have my reasons.

ACO22

angeldogs
December 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
I heard about it on the radio this morning and said it was one of the filthest puppymills to be busted and that they were unsure if charges were going to be laid.

luvsmallfurries
December 3rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Groan........there was a piece on the local radio show here this morning too about a puppy mill getting shut down.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/12/02/bc-spca-seized-animals.html

The vet that was interviewed on the radio show was much more frank and graphic about the state these animals were in than this article is.
Thank the deities that all the animals, while in very, very bad condition, are healthy enough to be treated and sheltered for adoption - there were none that needed to be put down.

Why is this not ILLEGAL in British Columbia? :censored:

Mat&Murph
December 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
How awful!!! At least it is shut down. We need tougher laws in Canada for puppy mills. Not just in certain provanices. None of them deal with the problem stiff enough.

NoahGrey
December 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Why is this not ILLEGAL in British Columbia? :censored:

Puppy mills are illegal in BC.

ACO22

luvsmallfurries
December 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
I have to admit I'm not well versed in animal cruelty laws in BC and I was going on what was reported in the article. According to the reporter, puppy mills are not illegal in BC but animals must be kept in good condition, or "breeders" can face cruelty charges. I'm guessing the common defense when these jack:censored:s are discovered is "not a puppy mill, I'm a breeder......"

Of course, the reporter could be wrong.......it wouldn't be the first time a reported didn't fact check.

If puppy mills are indeed illegal then I stand corrected with my thanks!

And if not - who do I go to and thump upside the head? :mad:

NoahGrey
December 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I have to admit I'm not well versed in animal cruelty laws in BC and I was going on what was reported in the article. According to the reporter, puppy mills are not illegal in BC but animals must be kept in good condition, or "breeders" can face cruelty charges. I'm guessing the common defense when these jack:censored:s are discovered is "not a puppy mill, I'm a breeder......"

Of course, the reporter could be wrong.......it wouldn't be the first time a reported didn't fact check.

If puppy mills are indeed illegal then I stand corrected with my thanks!

And if not - who do I go to and thump upside the head? :mad:

I think you are getting mixed up with backyard breeders VS puppy mills. Backyard breeders are people who breed usually one or two females. For instance..you know when you drive my a house and it says puppys for sale. This is probably a backyard breeder.

Puppy mills are were in the majority of cases are breeding multiple different breeds and usually live in horrible conditions...where more then not are kept in small cramped cages, usually with multiple dogs to a cage. Most do not have shelter, food, water and do not get vet care when needed. Puppy mill dogs are usually sick, deformed.

ACO22

luvsmallfurries
December 4th, 2008, 01:24 PM
This is/was definitely a puppy mill by that standard - possibly a kitty mill too.

There was another news piece yesterday afternoon with an interview with the person whose home was "invaded" (her words.....)

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081203/BC_puppy_mill_mission_defense_081203/20081203/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

I wonder how she sleeps at night.......

I got curious yesterday and called the BCSPCA who, apparently, have the only mandate in BC to investigate and act on animal abuse cases. She said that basically it is not illegal in BC to breed animals for the purpose of selling the offspring, and there is nothing they can do about backyard breeders or even puppy/kitty mills so long as the animals are not in distress, neglected or abused. Unfortunately multiple enforced pregnancies have not, as yet, been defined legally as abuse.

There have, however, recently been changes to the Animal Protection Act which give the SPCA much more authority in terms of defining abuse and neglect (the inclusion of inadequate ventilation, space, care or veterinary treatment and not just lack of food, water or shelter), immediate access to warrants to enter private properties, the inclusion of seized evidence in the first warrant so it can be used in criminal trials (previously officers had to get a second warrant to seize evidence) and increases to fines both to the offenders and also to anyone who obstructs an investigation (such as pet store owners who refuse to reveal where their "stock" is coming from).

Still not anywhere near enough, but judging by the increase this year in the number of these facilities that have been investigated and the number of successful charges being laid since the changes to the act, it is a very small step in the right direction. Sadly, the charges only ever result in a fine and a ban, usually temporary, on keeping any more animals - there is no provision for jail. I think a couple of days locked up in a tiny cage with no food or clean water and no one dealing with your bodily waste might be a more effective deterrent.......$2,000 for a 1st offense is not effective in my mind.

BenMax
December 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I dare say you did your homework and are very well versed. Nice job!

NoahGrey
December 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM
This is/was definitely a puppy mill by that standard - possibly a kitty mill too.

There was another news piece yesterday afternoon with an interview with the person whose home was "invaded" (her words.....)

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081203/BC_puppy_mill_mission_defense_081203/20081203/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

I wonder how she sleeps at night.......

I got curious yesterday and called the BCSPCA who, apparently, have the only mandate in BC to investigate and act on animal abuse cases. She said that basically it is not illegal in BC to breed animals for the purpose of selling the offspring, and there is nothing they can do about backyard breeders or even puppy/kitty mills so long as the animals are not in distress, neglected or abused. Unfortunately multiple enforced pregnancies have not, as yet, been defined legally as abuse.

There have, however, recently been changes to the Animal Protection Act which give the SPCA much more authority in terms of defining abuse and neglect (the inclusion of inadequate ventilation, space, care or veterinary treatment and not just lack of food, water or shelter), immediate access to warrants to enter private properties, the inclusion of seized evidence in the first warrant so it can be used in criminal trials (previously officers had to get a second warrant to seize evidence) and increases to fines both to the offenders and also to anyone who obstructs an investigation (such as pet store owners who refuse to reveal where their "stock" is coming from).

Still not anywhere near enough, but judging by the increase this year in the number of these facilities that have been investigated and the number of successful charges being laid since the changes to the act, it is a very small step in the right direction. Sadly, the charges only ever result in a fine and a ban, usually temporary, on keeping any more animals - there is no provision for jail. I think a couple of days locked up in a tiny cage with no food or clean water and no one dealing with your bodily waste might be a more effective deterrent.......$2,000 for a 1st offense is not effective in my mind.

Thanks for this..but it was everything that I knew already *L*

You ask how she slept at night....easy. When you are in the puppy mill business, you are not concerned for the welfare of the animals..only the profit that they bring in.

ACO22

luvsmallfurries
December 4th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for this..but it was everything that I knew already *L*

LOL - no doubt, given what you do for a living.....I was just musing out loud.

You ask how she slept at night....easy. When you are in the puppy mill business, you are not concerned for the welfare of the animals..only the profit that they bring in.

ACO22

I guess when $ is the bottom line everything else is inconsequential.

I think this year for Christmas I'm going to take the $ I was planning on using for gifts and instead, make a donation to the SPCA in my family's name....

Nice discussion. Thank you. ;)

NoahGrey
December 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I think this year for Christmas I'm going to take the $ I was planning on using for gifts and instead, make a donation to the SPCA in my family's name....;)

Great idea:) The animals at the shelter will thank you.

ACO22