Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Pop - Dog Lover

glasslass
July 25th, 2004, 05:49 PM
This is my Pop a few months before he died. He no longer enjoyed food. He couldn't follow a plot any longer on TV. He couldn't remember what he read anymore. He even quit communicating with people . . . unless it was about the dogs. They were his one enjoyment in his last few months. If he wouldn't talk to Mom, she could start talking about the dogs and he would immediately respond and they had a topic he never got tired of. I think those that take their animals to resthomes are doing a wonderful thing! I'm thankful Pop never had to separated from them!

Freyja
July 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Beautiful!
My dad died of cancer a couple of years ago. He was in palliative care at the Lion's Gate Hospital in Vancouver. One day near the end a beautiful golden retreiver came to visit. It was the most animated I had seen my dad in a couple of days. Made me bawl, I was so grateful.
Jane

Luba
July 25th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Thank you both for sharing and that picture is worth more then a million words!

:D

moontamara
July 26th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Glassglass, you made me cry! No fair!

chico2
July 26th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Wonderful picture of a wonderful man and doggie-love,it's sad but it shows us what an important part of our lives our animals are,they do not abandon us when we get old and frail,they love us just the same.

Catt31
July 26th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Sniff sniff!! You made me cry you two!!! My parents would be lost without their dog too.....they are into their 70's now, and love their little guy!!! Here is a pic of Dakota and my dad, two peas in a pod!!! Dakota was a rescue, cutest little thing ever - shi-tzu/pug cross. My dad says he is so ugly he's cute!!! I think he's adorable, but he is ohhhh sooooo jealous of Brick!! Dakota used to be "my boy" and now he has competition!!! Uh ohhhh!! LOL

Luba
July 26th, 2004, 03:25 PM
AWwweeeee Catt thats a sweet sweet picture :D wheeee!

Sadie LOVES my dad she can hear his van coming at the end of the road and when he pulls into the driveway thats it she goes BONKERS!

Here she is younger jumpin all over dad. They talk to eachother regularly and mostly I don't wanna know what they say 'cause it's probably about some gooey treats he wants to give her :D

Catt31
July 26th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Tee hee, thats cute!!! Look how little she was!!! Wow eh??? She sprouted fast that girl!!!!

dmc123
July 26th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Glasslass,

What a wonderful post....thank you! ...made me cry also.

glasslass
July 26th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I've been away from my computer almost all day taking care of my Mom's crisis. Her purse was stolen from her car trunk while she was at the health spa. Driver's license, ATM card, checks, extra keys, insurance cards, etc. etc.

I've shed a few tears myself reading everybody's posts. Now, how about a couple happier photos. I'll post them separately so they'll "pop" up.

This is my favorite picture of Pop working. A photographer asked to spend a day with him to take pictures and this was one of the shots.

glasslass
July 26th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Anybody remember Johnnie Rivers, recording artist and producer? In his wedding to one of my Pop's customers, the bride rode down the mountain in an antique carriage pulled by a white horse. They asked Pop to drive the horse and carriage. This is Pop in tophat and tails. Notice the Lily-of-the-valley decorating the harness.

Luba
July 26th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Wow great pictures :D thats fantastic whats dad working on there?

I made this for my dad as just a little girl and scanned it into the computer incase it should ever fade or disappear!

He truly is my hero, in my heart! I've learned so much from him and continue to do so. Through struggle and grief my father has always showed me to have faith and conquer even the most difficult of roads.

I love my daddy!! :D

glasslass
July 26th, 2004, 09:27 PM
That is so neat! You should print that out and make a Father's Day Card from it!

Pop was a farrier. He's probably heating a shoe in the forge to be able to shape it.

Ok, one more. The little girl on the left was my grandmother, the blacksmith was my great-grandfather.

Nowadays, the farrier goes to the ranch instead of the horse coming to them. Better deal, insurance-wise.

Luba
July 26th, 2004, 09:35 PM
GREAT Idea with the fathers day card..but I think it'll just be a everyday I was thinking about you card :D I LOVE IT!

Wow dad musta worked hard and long making shoes. I love black and white old pictures, look at everyone...when family really was family!

I think I was 6 in this picture, with my brothers. Dad taking us fishing while on vacation heading to Nova Scotia (where he was born) Mom taking the picture obviously! ;)

glasslass
July 26th, 2004, 11:58 PM
That's a really nice picture! Can you imagine the patience it took to take 3 kids that age fishing? Yeah! He deserves the card for "no occasion". I bet it'll make his day! :)

Luba
July 27th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Ahhh thank u very much. Sometimes we forget about those things and shouldn't, our parents were always a big part of our lives..then and now. I am blessed and fortunate to have really wonderful parents.

Their firstborn <my oldest brother>

glasslass
July 27th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Too bad he's your older brother. I sent a birthday card to my younger brother. Outside - Happy Birthday Brother! Inside - I'm glad I let you live!