Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New and looking for advice

pandkk
December 1st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Hello

I have a 15 1/2 year old Mini Pincer He is a Toy He does suffer from eilepsy -type seizures as a result of heat stroke when he was a puppy. He is registered and normally very healthy and alert
Recently cataracts have blinded him, one eye slower then the other but now he is almost completely lost his sight. I want to know if there is technology that can reverse this process and help him see. It is heart breaking to see him bump into things. Zeus weighs approx 5 pounds and is roughly 8 inches tall. My husbans has had him since weaning and again he is very healthy and loving, still his buddy.
Any good advice is welcome
Thanks

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
i would call the vet and just ask if it's possible. i'm wondering if it's just cataracts, wouldn't it be possible. If it's not, your little one will learn to function just fine with no sight. gonna take a few bumps and bangs getting used to where stuff is but he'll figure it out. Just don't re-arrange the furniture on the poor guy.

sugarcatmom
December 1st, 2008, 05:33 PM
I want to know if there is technology that can reverse this process and help him see.

The only cure for cataracts is to surgically remove them, and it's a rather expensive procedure. At 15 yrs old, he may not be the best candidate. Perhaps your vet can refer you to an opthomologist who should be able to give you a better idea of what's all involved. Here's some info for you: http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/cataract.htm

Tundra_Queen
December 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Hi,
I know of a lady that was going to get her dog's cataract removed for 3,000.00. She found out it wasn't cataracts after all but a eye disease.

Try putting furniture polish along the walls at nose level so the dog can smell the polish and will help him not to walk into things. Also, get a baby gate if u have stairs so he won't fall down them. Also, if the dog lays on a couch talk to him while walking up to him so that he knows where u are. Cause if u pet him u might scare him if he doesn't know u are there.

Debbie

luckypenny
December 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Welcome to pets.ca, pandkk. I'm sorry to hear of Zeus' troubles.

When our Peanut went blind, it only took a short while for him to adjust. He did startle easy so we always spoke to him before we approached. Does he just stand there when he bumps into things? Has you vet discussed the possibility of cognitive dysfunction with you?