Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to talk to her about Puppy Mills?

AmericanBullMom
December 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM
My DH to be's cousin is dating the owner of a Puppy Store thats near my house. I wont name it, but if you do a search about Puppy (they specifically sell only puppies) Stores in Largo, FL you can find it.
The place is KNOWN for being HORRIBLE, and for selling puppy mill bought puppies. I was at her house last night and it was all I could do not to scream that it was all his fault that dogs in kennels were dying every day!
They sell SICK puppies, and he's PROUD of his job. Makes me sick! I read that someone bought a dog from there and it died only a few days after.

Should I say anything to her about it? I feel like its my JOB to inform people about the horrors of PuppyMills, and the like, but I dont want to cause a rift with her either. I'm not even apart of their family yet, God Forbid they hate me.
Any Ideas? :sad: Its really been eating at me since last night.

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Though spot to be in. I would get as much literature as possible and ask them just to review. Sometimes people get defensive if you try to educate....let the photos do the job for you.

Because this is his livelihood he may want to justify. This is family so things can get really personal. Maintaining good relations may be hurt if you try to do this on your own using your convictions.

I certainly would not want to be in your shoes as this is very touchy.

Good luck. If you need to vent - you know where we are.:grouphug:

AmericanBullMom
December 1st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I have a feeling I will DEFINITELY be venting! I have printed some things out, but I was thinking maybe I'll make a Myspace Bulletin that I know she would read, and just make it look like one of those forward things, like I was passing it on...
I dont want to step on ANY toes, his family thinks I'm only second to Satan already:evil:< thats me, but seriously, I want to puke all over this guy last night!! It literally made me ill knowing what HIS puppy store does... UGH!

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 09:59 AM
I have a feeling I will DEFINITELY be venting! I have printed some things out, but I was thinking maybe I'll make a Myspace Bulletin that I know she would read, and just make it look like one of those forward things, like I was passing it on...
I dont want to step on ANY toes, his family thinks I'm only second to Satan already:evil:< thats me, but seriously, I want to puke all over this guy last night!! It literally made me ill knowing what HIS puppy store does... UGH!

You are hardly :evil: here my friend. I have had 'discussions' with a very good friend of mine in regards to the seal hunt once. It did not go very well at all and I had to back off as I knew that our relationship would seriously be hurt. Since she and I totally disagree, I re-evaluated our friendship quickly to weigh the pros and cons. Since she works in rescue with me, and does do alot financially (not to mention she is always along side me) I decided to keep the friendship and never get onto this topic again since it was pointless.

It is not a pleasant thing you went through and I am certain dinner went down in lumps. I am so sorry.

AmericanBullMom
December 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I know... maybe they'll break up! Eh, I guess that was kinda mean, But still!

But yes, if you ask his family, I am the she:evil:....

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I know... maybe they'll break up! Eh, I guess that was kinda mean, But still!

But yes, if you ask his family, I am the she:evil:....

What does his family know! We love you and that is all that matters. Forget him ABM - he's a loser!

Mat&Murph
December 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM
ABM: I don't envy you!! What a hard situation!!! Being family makes it alot tougher too. I like the idea about a MySpace Bullentin. Might help, hopfully it will get looked at. Good Luck to you:grouphug:

badger
December 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM
I'd just give him the literature (or give it to your cousin). And then remain silent. When people feel attacked, there's nothing to be gained. If you choose to avoid him and someone asks for an explanation, give it. The Dalai Lama was once offered a million dollars by an American who had made his fortune in slaughterhouses. He turned it down.

A woman I know in the neighbourhood, who also rescues (although she has no money), went to work a few hours a week at a local pet store that sells kittens and puppies, among other things. The owner told her to feed the dogs every other day. I'm not sure if she stood up to him or even called the SPCA but she no longer works there. It is an evil business, the way it works now.

AmericanBullMom
December 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys!
It really was SO hard just to sit in the same room with the man. Ugh, makes me ill just thinking about it!
I think I might get some facts in order, and do the Myspace Bulletin... I hate the idea of upsetting her, since she's the only one that ACTUALLY likes me, but I still feel like she should know what her new beau does for a living.

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys!
It really was SO hard just to sit in the same room with the man. Ugh, makes me ill just thinking about it!
I think I might get some facts in order, and do the Myspace Bulletin... I hate the idea of upsetting her, since she's the only one that ACTUALLY likes me, but I still feel like she should know what her new beau does for a living.

She knows but she has not seen the other side of it. Once she learns about it - I think the relationship may be over. And ABM - we like you alot!:)

AmericanBullMom
December 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Aw :lovestruck: you guys! I wish ALL of you could fly down for my wedding! Its in September! Start planning a trip! Oops just threadjacked my own thread! haha

pitgrrl
December 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
You could also approach it another way, something along the lines of "oh, you know people are becoming more and more savvy about where they get dogs/cats from and are starting to really support things such as rescues. It would be a great business move for you to brand yourself as a store who is really supportive of these kinds of efforts and it would really help get you ahead of any consumer backlash your store might experience if customers start to associate you with unethical breeding practices. Think of promotional events you could have in tandem with rescue's adoption days and the opportunities for press exposure if you were involved in supporting local pounds and rescues. I bet you'd access a whole new clientele, many of which have a lot of animals, if you aligned yourself with rescues and pounds....."

So he wouldn't be doing things for the right reasons, but you wouldn't be stepping on any toes because you'd just be offering "marketing ideas", and if it stopped him selling animals.....:shrug:

AmericanBullMom
December 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
What a wonderful idea... but I highly doubt that he would give up getting anywhere from $500 to $3000 a dog to start an adoption...

PERSONALLY the guy could go to jail for all I care, Its my Hunny's cousin that I wish knew the truth.

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM
You could also approach it another way, something along the lines of "oh, you know people are becoming more and more savvy about where they get dogs/cats from and are starting to really support things such as rescues. It would be a great business move for you to brand yourself as a store who is really supportive of these kinds of efforts and it would really help get you ahead of any consumer backlash your store might experience if customers start to associate you with unethical breeding practices. Think of promotional events you could have in tandem with rescue's adoption days and the opportunities for press exposure if you were involved in supporting local pounds and rescues. I bet you'd access a whole new clientele, many of which have a lot of animals, if you aligned yourself with rescues and pounds....."

So he wouldn't be doing things for the right reasons, but you wouldn't be stepping on any toes because you'd just be offering "marketing ideas", and if it stopped him selling animals.....:shrug:

Nice thinking! WOW!:thumbs up

kathryn
December 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hah, I would have just blabbed outloud my feelings. But, I'm still a kid in a sense, and feel I can still get away with acting immature /sometimes/. You're an adult and expected to behave all la-dee-da I suppose. Hmph.

Get someone else to do it. Got any kid cousins or nephews? Have them ask the dude why he sells puppies. That will get the conversation started.

Meh, I would just go the 'PETA' way and send him a bunch of in-your-face literature about puppy mills and dogs dying in shelters :cool:

I feel bad for you... but I think you should make it known how you feel in a very very polite way. It's not like he's got a bad habit you don't approve of, he's got lives in his hands!

AmericanBullMom
December 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hah, I would have just blabbed outloud my feelings. But, I'm still a kid in a sense, and feel I can still get away with acting immature /sometimes/. You're an adult and expected to behave all la-dee-da I suppose. Hmph.

Get someone else to do it. Got any kid cousins or nephews? Have them ask the dude why he sells puppies. That will get the conversation started.

Meh, I would just go the 'PETA' way and send him a bunch of in-your-face literature about puppy mills and dogs dying in shelters :cool:

I feel bad for you... but I think you should make it known how you feel in a very very polite way. It's not like he's got a bad habit you don't approve of, he's got lives in his hands!

I might have to be an adult, but I sure WANTED to get upset with this guy!:yell:
You should have heard the way he was talking... "I'm the Puppyman" and we have alll the best Puppies in Pinellas County, AND the most expensive with the best breeding..." I wanted to Scream!!! I'm SURE the "BEST" breeding, STRAIGHT from a PuppyMill!!! UGH!

Shaykeija
December 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Me I would have done a Christmas theme on him.... Something along the line of a Nut Cracker....

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Me I would have done a Christmas theme on him.... Something along the line of a Nut Cracker....

:eek::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tundra_Queen
December 4th, 2008, 02:28 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

AmericanBullMom
December 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Lmao:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I havent broached the subject with DF's cousin yet, it's hard to KNOW if its better to leave it alone, or to say something. :wall:

kathryn
December 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Here... this might help

http://pspca.org/news/puppy_mills

The photos from the Almost Heaven kennel raid are up... they are pictures of the dogs the PSCPA had... but my shelter got some too and so that just sets the example.

Mat&Murph
December 6th, 2008, 12:25 AM
What a great site for educating people on the horrors of puppymills!!! The pics had me sobbing and hugging my furbabies!!! Mybe the OP can sent it to her cousin